Rey Fenix posted a message on Facebook and Instagram last night. Some Facebook pages reported Fenix giving up The Crash Cruiserweight Championship as him also leaving the promotion. That’s not actually what he said on the show, so this message figured to be Fenix just saying he was still with The Crash. Instead, Fenix said he’s been an independent all along, will continue to work many places as an independent including the Crash, and he has big surprises coming.
That surprise? Today’s Wrestling Observer Newsletter says Fenix & Pentagon will be wrestling for AAA again. I’ve heard the same story, with more detail than in the story. Fenix & Penta will not be wrestling in Tijuana on tomorrow’s show, and may not be wrestling in AAA a lot. They would not be back to AAA full time and would not be under contract to AAA. The situation appears to be something similar to AAA’s current deal with Blue Demon Jr., where he’s pushed as a top guy in the promotion while only working a few dates. Demon has the freedom to work anywhere else, including The Crash. The Lucha Brothers would do the same, and would not be going back to AAA if it limited where else they could work. Instead, Penta & Fenix would continue working international indie dates, and AAA would just be another stop for them, not their home promotion. AAA would get to be correct about getting Fenix & Penta to come back one day, and Fenix & Penta would have a better situation with AAA than when they left.
This situation again points to Konnan being back in AAA, something the WON calls “a matter of when, not if.” The newsletter says other stars are expected in. No names are mentioned. I do not know all the specifics, but I do know wrestlers who’ve been in the Crash and/or Aro Lucha when Konnan has been in charge there have been talked to about coming into AAA. I also know no one’s really supposed to be talking about this until it gets announced, but it’s been sneaking on to social media already.
Konnan coming back is not official at this point. It’s wrestling, so until it happens, it hasn’t actually happened. Everything points to it happening Friday night if it’s going to happen. Tijuana is as close to San Diego as they’re going to get and Konnan making a point in the home building of the last group that cut ties with him (The Crash) are all reasons. The biggest reason is AAA says they’re not taping again for a month after Tijuana, and being stuck in a situation of making moves but not being able to talk about them for another month would hamstring the transition. This has gotten far enough along that it’s a big deal either way – if Konnan shows up in Tijuana (or otherwise makes his presence known), then we’re looking at a different AAA going forward. If not, then there’s some other weird story going on. I think he’s showing up, but I don’t know it and can’t guarantee it.
At this point, AAA is operating like nothing has changed. As recently as yesterday, the local AAA promoter in Toluca was hyping a Vampiro appearance as AAA creative director on their 04/28 show. If Konnan is back, he’ll probably be creative director by that point and it’s hard to imagine Vampiro would still be around. Vampiro’s given no indication of any change on Facebook, and Konnan hasn’t said anything as well. I keep seeing posters for upcoming AAA house shows and look to see if there’s surprising people involved, but they’re still using the same AAA roster we’ve seen all year.
In news just as important, Dr. Wagner Jr. colored his hair.
AAA uploaded the Rey de Reyes TV shows in two parts: one & two. These are the Space (TV) versions of the episodes, with JMG and Hugo commentating. AAA’s always posted the Televisa version in the past. I haven’t seen a full Space episode before, so I’m not sure if the entrance music being removed is a normal decision of that channel or something going on with these two videos. You can finally see Texano getting his hair shaved off, though to a generic rock track replacing any audio. It’s a little different.
This catches AAA’s YouTube all the way up to what’s aired on Televisa, which is how they were doing it previously. It’s still six weeks of TV behind what’s been shown live on Twitch. Whatever’s going down in Tijuana won’t show up on YouTube until June at the current pace.
Those new episodes include commercial break bumpers with the some of the surprise luchadors in the tournament posing behind a flaming sword. I would assume that is the thing AAA called Mesias to the building early to film, which Mesias has said was done rudely, and that started his decision to make it his last day with AAA.
Rey Mysterio Jr. was on San Diego morning TV to hype a show at a Casino May 12. Mysterio was also announced for a May 19th show in Satillo.
Black Dragon took Hausser’s hair in the IWRG trainees cage match. IWRG, with no notice, live streamed the match on Instagram. There were only about 30 people watching, though that included former IWRG wrestlers pointing out Black Dragon was obviously going to win.
ESTO has an article on Bucio mask making family, including a timeline of when they got involved
LuchaTalk is back with a new podcast.
Segunda Caida reviews Wotan vs Demus from Xalapa.
CMLL (MON) 04/23/2018 Arena Puebla
1) Astro & Meyer vs Espíritu Maligno & Rey Apocalipsis
2) Príncipe Diamante & Robin vs El Malayo & King Jaguar
3) El Audaz, Lestat, Tigre Rojo Jr. vs Disturbio, Kawato San, Virus
4) Dalys © vs Kaho Kobayashi [CMLL WOMEN]
5) Atlantis, Diamante Azul, Soberano Jr. vs Cavernario, Felino, Negro Casas
6) Carístico, Kráneo, Último Guerrero vs Terrible, Valiente, Volador Jr. [Relevos Increíbles]
Main event is a sort of rematch from last week, when last week didn’t set up anything particular.
Women from Japan getting short title runs is the normal order of business for the CMLL women’s championship. Marcela held the this title for four and half years, except for losing it for a few months to Ayumi & Syuri each. I don’t think Kobayashi will do the same. I think I’d like it to happen to happen just for something interesting to happen with the women. It wouldn’t be interesting for long, since Kaho is back in Japan in May.
Audaz & Virus are matched up again in the tercera.
CMLL (TUE) 04/24/2018 Arena México
1) Angelito & Último Dragóncito vs Pequeño Nitro & Pequeño Olímpico
2) Magnus, Oro Jr., Príncipe Diamante vs Cancerbero, Nitro, Raziel
3) The Panther vs Fuego [lightning]
4) El Audaz, Guerrero Maya Jr., Rey Cometa vs Dragón Rojo Jr., Pólvora, Templario
5) Hechicero, La Bestia Del Ring, Terrible vs Ephesto, Luciferno, Máscara Año 2000
6) Carístico, Valiente, Volador Jr. vs Euforia, Gran Guerrero, Mephisto
Both the third and fourth matches could be fun. Semimain reengages the Mascara/Bestia feud for some reason. Carsitico keeps facing Volador on Mondays and teaming with him on Tuesdays.
CMLL (WED) 04/25/2018 Deportivo Penoles, Gustavo A. Madero, Distrito Federal
1) Arceus, Magnético, Tiburón vs Crazy Man, Demsadio, Maquiavelo
2) Marcela & Princesa Sugehit vs Dalys & Tifany
3) Flyer vs Magia Blanca, Star Jr., Audaz, Eléctrico, Magnus, Cholo, Príncipe Odín Jr., Ulises Jr., Brazo Cibernetico, Bam Bam, Luzbel, Tanque Infernal, Mercurio, Pequeño Olímpico
4) Brazo De Oro Jr., Brazo de Platino, Robin, Súper Brazo vs Cancerbero, Pólvora, Raziel, Tyson La Bestia
5) Diamante, Diamante Azul, Drone, Stuka Jr. vs Kawato, Okumura, Templario, Tiger
This is a show in memory of Brazo de Oro, which makes it a little weird that it’s CMLL wrestlers with Maximo pushing it on social media given all that’s happened there. That tercera includes rare appearance by Ulises Jr. and Bam Bam, who hasn’t been listed on a card I’ve seen in three years. Not a great chance he actually makes the show given past history.
Revolucha (FRI) 06/29/2018 Estadio de Beisbol Monterrey, Monterrey, Nuevo Leon
1) Erika Sotelo vs Bugambilia, Chocolata, Epydemius, Hijo De Volador
2) Lady Flammer vs Christi Jaynes, Keyra, Lacey Lane
3) Hijo De Dos Caras, Hijo de LA Park, Humberto Garza Jr. vs Damián 666, Hijo del Dr. Wagner Jr., Silver King
4) Hommie, Máscara Dorada, Octagoncito vs Mini Bengalí, Mini Difunto, Mini Hator
5) Garza Jr. vs Mr. 450, Bestia 666, Último Ninja, Penta 0M, The King, Daga, Masada (Texas) [cage]
6) Dos Caras Sr., Octagón, Súper Muñeco vs Fuerza Guerrera, Pirata Morgan, Satánico
7) Rayo de Jalisco Jr., Rey Mysterio Jr., Rey Wagner vs Alberto el Patrón, Blue Demon Jr., LA Park
This is the baseball stadium show. Alberto betrayed Mysterio this past weekend to set up the main event. They’re trying to do something for everyone to attract a huge crowd but it still feels like they’re missing a big definite match. The fifth match is listed as just a cage match, but I think it’s either supposed to be announced as an apuesta match or may eventually get there, and that would help.
It’s good planning to get this Rey Mysterio match out before whatever AAA announces with Rey Mysterio.
I think Hommie in the fourth match might be Big Homie from (the unfinished?) Lucha de Barrio.