CMLL (MON) 04/16/2018 Arena Puebla
1) Astro, Asturiano, Shockercito b Espíritu Maligno, Joker, Mercurio
tecnicos took 2/3.
2) Kaho Kobayashi b Dalys [lightning]
Supposed to be a tag match with Sanely & Comandante, changed to a singles match when one couldn’t make it. Kobayashi won and asked for a title match next week.
3) Felino, Puma, Stigma, Tiger b Gemelo Pantera I, Gemelo Pantera II, Pantera Blanca, Stuka Jr.
Supposed to be a trios match, changed to an atomicos putting the Panteras on the same side and adding Puma & Felino. Team Felino took 2/3.
4) Cuatrero, Forastero, Sansón b Ángel de Oro, Dragón Lee, Niebla Roja
NGD took 1/3.
5) Atlantis, Carístico, Negro Casas b Terrible, Valiente, Volador Jr. [Relevos Increíbles]
Volador’s took team 1/3 with no particular story coming out of it.
I saw very little of this show. Sanely appears to be in Georgia right now for her other job, so why she was booked to wrestle in Puebla is strange, and why CMLL couldn’t find one of their other tecnicas to replace her is also confusing. Tiger just happens to be challenging Pantera Blanca Jr. for a title in Houston this weekend, which is probably both why the Panteras are here and why they decided Blanca & Tiger couldn’t team.
The women being missing didn’t change much: they were headed to Kaho’s tour concluding title match either way, and Dalys and Kobayashi got an extra week to get ready for it. It’s just CMLL being sloppy.
Tonight finishes up the Torneo Nuevo Valores with Flyer & Magia Blanca meeting in a tecnico/tecnico match of aerial luchadors. Flyer has slightly better position on CMLL cards and has been around the promotion for longer, which makes him the favorite. Magia Blanca has improved from when he came into CMLL, but still seems not to be ready for a bigger role. Blanca is an Ultimo Guerrero trainee, which does seem to help guys move along a little faster.
We shouldn’t make too much out of the meaning of this. At most, the winner might move up from the Astral/Raziel pool of guys who get nothing to do to the Fuego/Sagrado pool of guys who get almost nothing to do. Still, it’s an occasion for two guys who haven’t been given big singles matches chance to show what they could do given the opportunity.
Today’s CMLL main event is Carsitico, Dragon Lee & Rush versus Euforia, Gran Guerrero and Rey Bucanero. Rush is replacing Soberano, because it took until Tuesday for CMLL to both realize they had Soberano and Euforia on opposite sides of a match and then decide they couldn’t have that match.
Drone, Esfinge and Triton face Kawato,, Okumrua and Sagrado in the fourth match. Super Astro Jr. has his first normal match in CMLL, teaming with Audaz & Star Jr. against Disturbio, Universo 2000 Jr. and Virus. Cancerbero & Raziel team with Metalico to face Robin, Magnus and Electrico; will one of Flyer’s trios partners second him later on? Are they still trios partners? Acero & Aereo face Pequeno Universo 2000 & Pequeno Violencia in a match among the four lowest ranked CMLL minis. It feels like it’s happened a million. It has only happened 9. The tecnicos are 8-1.x
CultIcon previews this show. It’ll start at 7:30pm. The tournament final should be around 8:50.
Guadalajara has Valiente & Volador defending their tag titles against Cavernario & Negro Casas. The Peste Negra team would make a lot of sense as a team. Cavernario’s more likely to stay healthy and useful than Shocker did as Casas’ partner, and Casas could be in big matches without always needing them to be 1v1. It’d still be a pretty big surprise if Valiente & Volador lost the titles on their first defense.
CMLL luchadors are also supposed to be working the annual Puebla fair tonight. There will be some changes; Valiente can’t quite be there and in Guadalajara at the same time.
The US Ambassador, Roberta Jacobson, to Mexico was at Friday’s CMLL show. She met Utlimo Guerrero, Princesa Sugehit, Caristico and Atlantis. No word about how many stars she gave the semimain.
La Presna interviews La Seductora, who says she’s training with Ultimo Guerrero now. She wants to retire while she’s still in good health, but wants to wins some apuersta matches before she does.
Kraneo wants to fight bullying against overweight children. He sees Atlantis as an inspiration for what he wants to be as a tecnico.
CMLL’s April press conference is tomorrow. I’ve got something going on tomorrow afternoon, so I may not have much about it until later.
Revo Lucha says they drew 6,500 people to Gimnasio Nuevo Leon Unidad on Sunday. (Capacity of the building seems to be 5000, but maybe that’s the basketball configuration without seats on the floor? The building looks packed.) My guess is that’s the biggest non-AAA/CMLL show of the year. They’re going for a bigger one on June 29th: Revolucha is running Monterrey’s baseball stadium. I know they’re planning on loading that card up and the baseball team is helping advertise the show.
Heroes of Lucha Libre put tickets for their 06/02 show on sale. Tickets run from $16 US (for kids) to $190 for VIP. Floor tickets are $80. They’ve got Dr. Wagner Jr., LA Park, Tinieblas, Bestia 666, Sam Adonis and Tineiblas on the poster. It’s hard to see how they’re going to draw 10,000 people with just those names, expensive prices and no matches announced. It’s hard to see how they’re going to draw half that much, honestly.
FULL held a press conference for a show in Arena Xalapa this weekend. There’s nothing too interesting with that, but the post conferences interviews had something. Vengador Radioactivo told the press he was headed to CMLL to train for “two seasons.” This is not the original Vengador Radioactivo, who briefly made some waves in Mexico City with good performances and now is known as Dragon Dorado, but a second one using the name (and being sponsored by local wrestler Dr. Radioactivo.)
LuchaWorld has the week’s Poster-Mania.
In Coliseo Chihauhua on Saturday, Khaliel unmasked Vertix, who was revealed to be Esteban Dominguez, 6 years a wrestler.
IWRG (WED) 04/18/2018 Arena Naucalpan
1) Dragón Orus, Fireman, Fly Tiger vs Biosfera, Carnicero, Dinámico
2) Ángel Oriental, Dranzer, Hijo Del Bombero vs Black Puma, Chicanito, Voltar
3) Arquero, Konan, Mexica vs Adrenalina, Picudo Jr., Power Boy
4) Leo, Mike, Teelo vs Demonio Infernal, Leroy, Lunatic Xtreme
5) Atomic Star, Black Dragón, Chef Benito, Guerrero 2000, Keiser Drago, Lunatic Xtreme, Shadow Boy, Toto vs Aeroespecial, Divino, Dragón Bane, Fandango, Hausser, Hijo Del Brazo De Platino, Ninja de Fuego, Tekno and Ángel Estrella Jr., Cremosito, Death Metal, Guero Palma, Hijo De La Bestia, Klivan, Marduk, Taurino [cage, hair, mask]
Gym FILL (Atomic Star side, Eterno instructor) vs LLB (Tekno side, Fantasma de la Opera) vs Gym Zeuz (Death Metal side, Oficial 911)
There was a IWRG vs Zeuz feud going on, and maybe this cage match was set up last week – but IWRG didn’t put out results for last Wednesday’s show as far as I can tell. Probably will get some this week.
CMLL (SUN) 04/22/2018 Arena México
1) Leono & Robin vs Camorra & Inquisidor
2) Fantasy, Shockercito, Stukita vs Mercurio, Pequeño Nitro, Pequeño Olímpico
3) El Audaz, Guerrero Maya Jr., Stuka Jr. vs Kawato San, Misterioso Jr., Okumura
4) Titán vs Tritón [lightning]
5) Carístico, Mistico, Valiente vs Gran Guerrero, Hechicero, Terrible
6) Cuatrero, Forastero, Sansón © vs Ángel de Oro, Niebla Roja, Soberano Jr. [MEX TRIOS]
This seems like a show worth seeing. (We won’t be seeing it.) Beyond the title match, the fourth match is the first Titan/Triton singles match between the friends since 2009. It’s also Leono’s first match in 10 months, after suffering a knee injury on an Arena Coliseo show. It seemed reasonable to assume he might just not come back, since he’s stuck on the lowest level of CMLL, but it appears he’s giving it another try.
IWRG (SUN) 04/22/2018 Arena Naucalpan
1) Shadow Boy vs Toto
2) Dinamic Black, Diosa Atenea, Diva Salvaje vs Dragón Bane, Lili Dark, Reina del Sur
3) Leo, Mike, Rafy, Teelo vs Factor, Liderk, Spartan, Spector
4) Imposible © vs El Hijo del Medico Asesino [IWRG Rey del Ring]
5) Aramis, Emperador Azteca, Hijo de Canis Lupus vs Cerebro Negro, Dr. Cerebro, Ovett
6) Mr. Electro, Rey Wagner, Veneno vs Capo del Norte, Dark Magic, Máscara Año 2000 Jr.
Normal Smiley was a talented and popular wrestler in Mexico under the name Black Magic, so IWRG has found someone a similar color and is calling him Dark Magic. I think this might be the same guy who was wrestling in Tulancingo a couple weekends ago but I’m not sure.