AAA TV (SAT) 12/16/2017 Plaza de Toros Monumental, Apizaco, Tlaxcala [AAA]
1) Faby Apache DCOR Lady Shani © [Reina De Reinas]
Neither made it back in before Tirantes counted 20. First defense.
2) Dave The Clown & Mr. Águila b La Parka & Pagano
teams switched around, w/Mr. Aguila replacing Marty. Dave the Clown pinned Pagano.
3) Dark Cuervo & Dark Scoria b Monsther Clown & Murder Clown © and Histeria & Psicosis [AAA TAG]
Cuervo & Scoria won the belts for the third time this year alone. Monster & Murder fall on the first 1st defense on TV (2nd overall).
4) Aerostar, Drago, Raptor b Averno, Chessman, Súper Fly and Argenis, Bengala, Máscara de Bronce and Carta Brava Jr., Mocho Cota Jr., Tito Santana
listed as a 10 way match (w/Angelico), ended up being a four way trios (maybe – Argenis & Bengala’s partner is never mentioned and never pictured, Mascara de Bronce would be the usual one.) By winning, Drago gets to pick a weapon to use in a title match at Guerra de Titanes.
5) Rey Escorpión & Texano Jr. b Hijo del Fantasma & Psycho Clown
Match was listed as feuding people on the same team, but switched around to tecnicos vs rudos. Texano beat Fantasma with help from Tirantes.
6) Hijo del Dr. Wagner Jr. b Hernandez
Winner of this match got to pick the stipulation for Mundo vs Wagner at Guerra de Titanes. Hijo won, and he and his father decided to use their right to make Vampiro the referee for the title match.
This should be the first TV taping to air after the holiday break (January 20/27)
The final AAA show of 2017 ending with a big announcement of Vampiro as special referee is the most 2017 way AAA could end. We’re supposed to think Vampiro is going to screw over Johnny Mundo and kick him out of the company, but I think most people will assume Vampiro is going to heel on Wagner. The in-ring might suck, but Vampiro/Wagner would actually be a TripleMania level match. So might be Mundo/Vampiro, and Vampiro being forced to count a win for Mundo to tease their own match is also a possibility. Whatever happens, the focus is going to be on what Vampiro did, and not the actual outcome of the match. This would normally be a bad thing (and it probably will be a bad thing if you’re in this for matches) but Vampiro’s more over than that belt right now in the short term and AAA isn’t a long term focused company.
I’m surprised Cuervo & Scoria won the tag belts back again – that’s the fifth title change of the year, there’s been years where it hasn’t even been defended five times – and Shani/Faby as a draw only makes sense if they’re coming back with a rematch. Maybe Dave the Clown winning is the most 2017 AAA thing.
This week’s AAA show is up. On it, they announced Guerra de Titanes will be on 01/26 in Gimnasio Juan de la Barrera. Which means the two things they did to build up to Guerra de Titanes wouldn’t normally air until after the show happens unless they shift things around. These are details that are never important to AAA. The card they’ve got so far
- Johnny Mundo (c) vs Dr. Wagner Jr. for the AAA World Trios Championship
- OGT (c) vs Drago, Aerostar, Raptor (vs Poder del Norte? vs Bengala/Argenis/Bronce?) for the AAA Trios Championship
- maybe Fantasma vs Texano for the Latin American championship.
Figure either the full lineup comes out in the next day or two, or they’ll wait until after New Year’s. They got plenty of time either way, and they could just throw a poster out there with Mundo/Wagner.
CMLL (SAT) 12/16/2017 Arena Coliseo [CMLL]
1) Pequeño Olímpico & Pequeño Violencia b Acero & Aéreo
rudos took 1/3
2) Astral, Retro, Sangre Imperial b Apocalipsis, Artillero, Camorra
tecnicos took 2/3.
3) La Jarochita, La Vaquerita, Sanely b Metálica, Tiffany, Zeuxis
a Zeuxis sighting! She lost. Tecnicas took 1/3.
4) Hechicero b Blue Panther Jr. [lightning]
Hechicero used the ropes to beat Panther. Panther asked for a title match because Hechicero cheated and Hechicero said ok.
5) Ephesto, Luciferno, Mephisto b Blue Panther, Rey Cometa, Stuka Jr.
rudos took 1/3
6) Marco Corleone, Soberano Jr., Valiente b Johnny Idol, Okumura, Sam Adonis
Sam Adonis offered Marco a spot in his group (which CMLL recaps are insistent is La Invasión Extranjera), but Marco said no. Straight falls for the tecnicos, the last when Adonis fouled Marco.
Better CMLL moment: two different names for the new big heel group or Panther getting a title shot via loss? (I don’t want Panther ever beating Hechicero, that’s fine)
Saturday’s Klandestino show in Arena Lopez Matoes show had LA Park & Rush beat Ultimo Guerrero & Gran Guerrero, then LA Park challenged Ultimo Guerrero to a mask vs hair match as long as it wasn’t in CMLL. UG said OK. It’s not happening, but Sam Adonis has been mentioning Guerrero in his opponents and I wonder if he’d be the next big if he gets past Casas.
CMLL (SUN) 12/17/2017 Arena México [CMLL]
1) Astral & Magnus b Akuma & Grako
tecnicos took 2/3, despite Astral getting hurt in the second fall. Magnus won the third fall with no parnter.
2) Drone, Guerrero Maya Jr., Rey Cometa b Misterioso Jr., Tiger, Warrior Steel
Tecnicos took 1/3. Tiger was still angry about Misterioso taking his mask after their lightning match, and Misterioso took his mask again after the match.
3) Fiero, Oro Jr., Pegasso, Star Jr., Starman b Cancerbero, Hijo del Signo, Nitro, Raziel, Templario [cibernetico]
Order of elimination: Templario (Starman), Fiero (Nitro), Starman (Signo), Oro (Cancerbero), Signo (Star), Nitro (Star), Cancerbero (Pegasso), Star (Raziel), Pegasso (Raziel)
4) Ángel de Oro, Soberano Jr., Stuka Jr. b Felino, Forastero, Okumura
Okumura replaced Negro Casas on Monday.
5) Euforia, Terrible, Último Guerrero b Carístico, Dragón Lee, Niebla Roja
Rudos took 1/3
The cibernetico match before the cage match is pretty common for CMLL. In the past, it seems like it’s foreshadowed the finish of the cage match, but less consistently of late. They didn’t do a women’s one last year. They did in 2015, where Puma won. He, The Panther and Super Comando were the biggest feud in the match. Panther beat Comando in the cage. In 2014, Bucanero beat Volador (after a Terrible distraction), and Felino beat Rey Bucanero in the cage. There were two cage matches in 2013. Shocker beat Mr. Aguila in one cage after Rush beat Rey Escorpion in the cibernetico. The most important bit of this one might turn out to be Starman losing earlier to Signo; that’s the expected finish, but maybe less so if they’re doing it eight days early.
OchoTV interviewed an emotional Shocker about his father’s passing.
Angel o Demonio lost his hair in the DTU Tulancingo cage match on Saturday. Paranoiko got the win.
ELITE returns for show #3 in this run on 12/25. People are listed on the poster but no lineup yet.
Arena Coliseo Guadalajara will have a special Friday night show on 12/29, and also have the Micro Stars. That might mean the CMLL DF guys are there like a Tuesday show and one of the Tuesday shows are canceled, but not sure.
Latin Lover is going on tour with Solo para Mujeres again. In a second Latin Lover interview, he says he tried to quit lucha libre after six months only for Ruben Juarez convincing him to stay.
Segunda Caida reviews episode 23 of Lucha Underground Season 3, the second part of the Cueto Cup (the part where everyone realized this was going to be a long thing.)
IWRG FILL (WED) 12/20/2017 Arena Naucalpan
1) Ángel Oriental, Black Puma, Orión Plus vs Adrenalia, Charly Boy, Full Contact
2) Dragón Orus, Fly Star, Príncipe Omi vs Chicanito, Guerrero 2000, Power Bull
3) Fly Tiger, Hijo Del Bombero, Odín vs Haziel, Leroy, Voltar
4) Chico Che, Súper Brazo Jr., Tortuga Mike vs Lunatic Xtreme, Ovett, Skanda
5) Arez, Black Terry, Dr. Cerebro, Fantasma de la Ópera, Internacional Pantera, Oficial 911, Robin Maravilla, Yakuza vs Akira San, Cadilac, Diablo Jr., Dragón Bane, Fulgor II, Moto Cross, Silverster Dragón, X-Corpio [cibernetico]
Maestros vs Alumnos; Black Terry & Diablo Jr., Oficial 911 & Cadilac, Arez & Fulgor II, Yakuza & Akira San, Fantasma de la Opera & Dragon Bane, Robin Maravilla & X-Corpio, Internacional Pantera & Silvester Dragon, Dr. Cerebro & Moto Cross
This is the last FILL show of the year. Instead of one rival school, it’s a student for every teacher.