CMLL (FRI) 11/17/2017 Arena México [CMLL, CultIcon, Notimex, Ovaciones, thecubsfan]
1) Súper Muñeco, Súper Pinocho, Súper Ratón b Gallego, Mr. Cóndor, Rocky Santana
17:42. Tecnicos took 1/3.
2) Blue Panther Jr., Guerrero Maya Jr., The Panther b Hechicero, Misterioso Jr., Sagrado
18:15. Tecnicos took 1/3.
3) Solar I & Súper Astro DRAW Black Terry & Virus
18:08. Tecnicos took fall 1, rudos took fall 2, Virus & Solar went to a double pin.
4) Fuerza Guerrera, Negro Casas, Satánico b Blue Panther, Mano Negra, Octagón
11:56. Rudos took 2/3. Octagon was loudly booed by the crowd.
5) Dragón Lee, Rush, Volador Jr. b Euforia, Gran Guerrero, Último Guerrero
10:23. Straight falls, clean finish. Rush played normal tecnico all match, then offered Volador & Dragon Lee the Ingobernables salute. They both were hesitant, but Rush encouraged them to consider it before leaving.
6) Dos Caras Sr., Rayo de Jalisco Jr., Villano IV DQ Canek, Cien Caras, Máscara Año 2000
10:44. Tecnicos took 2/3, the last when the NGD ran in when Rayo had Cien pinned. Rayo challenged Cien to a match and Cien accepted.
This show was about what you’d expect it to be. The bad looking matches were as bad you’d think and the good ones were good but brief. Cien physically looked the guy in the worst shape, but others (including Rayo) were as bad moving around and remembering spots as he was. Los Diabolicos looked the best of all the legend acts brought, and I thought Satanico looked a little better than he has in the past.
Crowd was way up. Seemingly more so than CMLL expected, because they didn’t have the lights up to show off the amount of fans as they do for a Homenaje a Dos Leyendas or Anniversario.
There might have been 10,000 fans there for the legends show, but they weren’t there to see all the legends. The main event was booed for poor action at the time, and the crowd absolutely hated Octagon. Octagon started in CMLL, but spent 90% of his career in AAA, so people who come back because they like the 80s and 90s still see him as the enemy. The guys in the main event are going to be credited with the draw, and maybe they deserve it, but I wonder if the Satanico/Fuerza/Negra type guys are just as much as important to drawing the fans in.
Saturday shows of note
- Coliseo has Soberano, Valiente, Volador vs Cavernario, Felino and Shocker scheduled as the main event.
- Bandido vs Flamita main events Arena San Juan, on a show from the new TSW promotion.
- Saltillo’s Arena Pavillon del Norte has a bigger show than usual, with Dragon Lee & Mistico vs Euforia & Gran Guerrero as the headliner
- AAA records TV in Juarez. The scheduled main event is Hernandez & Johnny Mundo vs Dr. Wagner & Hijo del Dr. Wagner, in what appears to be Mundo’s last match in Mexico for the year. There’s also a mask match with Lady Shani against local luchadora Venus. This TV should start airing next weekend.
- Rush vs Alberto el Patron, a first time ever singles match, headlines Arena Coliseo Monterrey for MDA. This should be a big match, but it’s coming one week after they ran the same building with a name show (one where most of the lineup got changed at the last second.)
- Arena Mexico has a Dragon Lee, Marco, Volador vs Rey Bucanero, Terrible and Ultimo Guerrero match
- Santo & son make a rare wrestling appearance in Acapulco
The Crash seems to be teasing a Sammy Guevera & Ricochet vs Rey Fenix & Penta match for the 12/15 show in Neza, which helpfully explains why they disappeared from the Puebla show on the same day. This is a good thing if you’re not going to either, since the Neza show is more likely to turn up on cell phone video. The Rebelion Amarilla will also be at the Neza show.
Still no card for the 12/01 Tijuana show, but another ad announced Lacey Lane, Keyra and Christi Jaynes vs Jonathan, Black Danger, Ultimo Maldito.
Zorro announced he’s no longer in The Crash due to some “inconveniences.” He hasn’t been on a The Crash Tijuana show in five months.
La Parka’s column says AAA is running a earthquake benefit show on September 9 in Gimnaso Juan de la Barrera. September has to be a typo, December makes more sense.
Freedoms announced Violento Jack would be returning in December, and Aeroboy would be coming back with him for the first time in five years to challenge for the tag titles.
IWL announced Mike Suicida vs Freelance for 12/25. Everything I’ve heard suggests this is a one off show with no plans to do more.
CMLL (FRI) 11/24/2017 Arena México
1) Star Jr. & Starman vs Hijo del Signo & Nitro
2) Drone, Guerrero Maya Jr., Stigma vs Dragón Rojo Jr., Pólvora, Vangellys
3) Rey Cometa, Soberano Jr., Titán vs Hechicero, Kráneo, Terrible
4) Rayo de Jalisco Jr. vs Cien Caras
5) Dragón Lee, Mistico, Pierroth vs Cuatrero, Forastero, Sansón and Blue Panther, Blue Panther Jr., The Panther and Felino, Puma, Tiger [Copa Dinastia]
6) Rush, Sam Adonis, Volador Jr. vs Mephisto, Negro Casas, Último Guerrero [Relevos Increíbles]
Well, this is a show. The two big stories (Adonis/Casas & Volador/Rush) are both in the main event. CMLL must be close to actually doing Adonis/Casas if they’ve moved it up.
The Copa Dinastia Munoz team was definitely implied to include Rush, but he’s in the main event Pierroth is instead. The NGD have gotten the biggest wins, but it’d make more sense for another team (the Panthers as usual?) to get the win to set up a title match with them.
CMLL did draw well with the legends, so it makes business sense to see if people would come back for a second week. It makes no other sense; both guys looked poor and putting them in a singles match is dangerous to their health. Hope it turns out ok.
This is also a long show, if the Copa Dinastia is not the one four way match but a series of three way matches as usual. Rayo/Cien Can’t go long, but probably the other matches will have to be cut short too.
ELITE (FRI) 12/01/2017 Deportivo Pavón, Ciudad de México, Distrito Federal
1) Rocky Lobo & Saru vs Hip Hop Man & La Mosca (Argentina)
2) Hijo de Máscara Sagrada vs Villano V Jr., Súper Tapatío Jr., Súper Muñeco Jr.
3) Alas de Oro, Dragón Dorado, Golden Magic vs Dr. Karonte, Hijo De Dos Caras, Tyson La Bestia
4) Bandido © vs Xtreme Tiger [ELITE WELTER]
5) ? & Zorro vs Sharlie Rockstar & Último Ninja
6) Cibernético vs Mr. Electro vs Blue Demon
Elite is back. They’re running Naucalpan the following weekend, and an Aguascalientes promoter says Elite is coming there soon as well. The better question is if we should care: it’s a lot of same people who work the name indies. The best parts of post-CMLL period of Elite usually involved LA Park, Rey Escorpion and Carsitico, none of whom are around this time. Only the Bandido/Xtreme Tiger match jumps out as looking good on paper. The second match may be part of some juniors tournament.
NGX (SAT) 12/02/2017 Gimnasio Nuevo León Unido, Monterrey, Nuevo Leon
1) Epydemius vs Demenzía, Alberto Dos Rios
2) Sick Boy & Skam 13 vs Dash & Lord Byron and Core & Psicótico
3) Ricky Marvin vs Funnybone, Xtreme Tiger
4) Cachorro Zapata & Caifan vs ? & Difunto
5) Joe Lider & Jun Kasai vs Pagano & Violento Jack
Lider & Pagano working an indie show to work a death match with Jun Kasai. I’m more surprised they’re running the newer basketball arena instead of the indie building; not sure it’s availability or they believe this will be a decent draw.