Today’s the CMLL Anniversario show. Here’s that lineup one more time:
CMLL (SAT) 09/16/2017 Arena México
CMLL 84th Anniversario
1) Blue Panther Jr., Stuka Jr., The Panther vs Dragón Rojo Jr., Hechicero, Pólvora
2) Diamante Azul, Marco Corleone, Valiente vs Cuatrero, Forastero, Sansón
3) Kráneo, Rush, Sam Adonis vs Cavernario, Felino, Negro Casas
4) Princesa Sugehit vs Zeuxis [mask]
5) Carístico, Flip Gordon, Volador Jr. vs Kojima, Mephisto, Último Guerrero
6) Niebla Roja vs Gran Guerrero [mask]
This show start at 5pm local time, and is a $15USD iPPV on internetv.tv.
I wrote a longer preview on Voices of Wrestling. CultIcon wrote a preview. CMLL’s preview still lists Diamante Azul. I think CMLL would’ve quietly disappeared him from the preview if he really wasn’t going to appear, so don’t go in hoping for a surprise appearance by someone else.
This would be one of the best Claro/YouTube cards they’ve done if this was a random Friday in June. It’s not right for an Anniversary show. Still the opener should be good, the women’s mask match should be good. NGD on a big stage should be crazy, and Flip Gordon has the right rudos to make himself a name in one night. The Peste Negra match is likely to be storyline over action, but the crowd will be into it.
The loudest I’ve ever heard someone get booed at a wrestling show, any wrestling show, is the Mistico/Mascara Dorada/Valiente vs Dragon Rojo/Polvora/Rey Escorpion trios match at an Anniversary. That was a great match, but the crowd hated it, hate the promotion, hated the concept of lucha libre because it followed Volador & Sombra winning the tag match so their mask match (and not Atlantis/UG) would be taking place that night. I do not know if the fans will show up to reject Niebla Roja & Gran Guerrero quite as loudly, but something like that is in play for the main event. It’s also possible they’ll throw everything at the wall (need to count the stage dives tonight) and have something approaching a **** match in the main event just to prove they should be there – and still get booed along the way. These aren’t the right guys, but they’re not Diamante Azul & Pierroth. Most of the problem isn’t them, but how CMLL got to this point.
Lucha Underground EVP Eric Van Wagenen was on yesterday’s Masks, Mats & Mayhem, and there was some interesting LU related discussion
- Season 4: “I’m still hopeful for it. There’s still conversations going on between the LLC (LU) and the network (El Rey).” El Rey still has the right to pick up the show for some (unsaid) amount of time. “I have no indications that we’re not coming back, the timing of it is just now in question.” Van Wagenen says he was on a call about (the potential) Season 4 just a few hours before the podcast – people are working on the situation, it has been forgotten. “It’s going to take some clever budgeting” (which confirms the obvious, it’s a money issue) but he thinks the doomsday stuff has been overblown.
- El Rey had a crew at TripleMania, shooting some behind the scenes stuff. Some of the LU partners were there.
- Sexy Star is not currently under Lucha Underground contract. She signed a 3 year deal, which expires at the end of these upcoming episodes. At the end of Season 3, LU was told she was leaving wrestling to go into boxing or maybe have another kid, which is the story she was telling everyone at the time. LU couldn’t fire her after TripleMania because she doesn’t work there any more, but it sounds like they will not be bringing her back because of that incident. “We have a zero tolerance policy for wrestlers intentionally hurting other wrestlers….We’ve let people go for that in the past.” (He avoids naming names there.) He can’t say she won’t be back for a Season 4 because they don’t have a Season 4 greenlighted, but they don’t want it back.
- They really liked Lorenzo Llamas and just the idea of having Lorenzo Llamas on Lucha Underground, but Llamas wasn’t all that interested in acting due to his other businesses and asked to be wrapped up. So, he died on short notice. Chris DeJoseph came up with the death, and the eyeball squish.
Kevin Kross was also on the show. He says he still has the #1 contenders briefcase but we’re not seeing it because he doesn’t want someone else to take it. In less storyline news, Kross says he’s hoping for LU S4 like the rest of us, but has been working on backup plans if the show gets canceled.
Rockstar Pro (FRI) 09/15/2017 Rockstar Pro Arena, Dayton, Ohio[+LuchaTV]
1) Fly Star b Pompano Joe
2) Clayton Jackson b Mojo Mcqueen
3) Guerrero Maya Jr. b Zachary Wentz
4) Drastik Boy b Nate Wings, Myron Reed
5) Alex Colon & Dustin Rayz © DQ Hijo del Solar & Solar I [Rockstar PRO TAG]
Billed as the last match for this title, which will be replaced by a trios title. Champions snuck in a foul on Solar Jr. to retain.
6) Trey Miguel © b Aeroboy [Rockstar Pro CHAMP]
Aeroboy/Miguel sounds like it was the best match of the night.
It’s one of the biggest weekends of the year:
- There are AAA shows in Cuautitlan, Aficion and Neza, which plenty of people working multiple shows.
- As will some CMLL people, who are wrestling in Coyoacan after the Anniversario show and probably other places.
- There’s also the usual name loaded Super Astro, this time in Arena Azteca Budokan.
- ChilangaMask heads to New Jersey.
- Miedo Extremo & Ciclope will also be in New Jersey, wrestling deathmatches for Game Changer Wrestling.
- DTU’s run of shows starts in Arena Coliseo San Ramon. Trey Miguel and Myron Reed are making the very rare Dayton, Ohio to Puebla trip today, with the other foreigners coming in later.
- Extreme Tiger, Juventud Guerrera and Mil Muerte are in Lafayette, Indiana of all places.
- Bestia 666, Damian 666 and the Rabbt Tribe are wrestling in Oceanside, California, on a show that’s been promoted on Lucha Underground social media.
- CMLL goes back to it’s normal schedule with a normal Sunday show
- IWRG has four title matches
- Guadalajara has a Leyendas Inmortales show with Canek vs Rayo de Jalisco as a singles main event
- IAP runs a show at Salon Citlalli with unusual matches (Mr. Condor vs Gallego, Freelance vs Suicida)
- DTU moves to Oaxaca, with Cavernario & Titan joining for one night
- Alberto el Patron is still working with FULL, and are running way off in Tlaxcala on Sunday.
- Also in Oaxaca: that AAA show that spoiled TripleMania’s main event.
- Rey Mysterio Jr. & El Santo are wrestling in Cicero. Both have confirmed they’ll actually be there.
- Also in Chicago suburbs: GALLI with Mesias.
LuchaWorld has a great obit of Ruben Juarez.
Revolucha says their next show will have Rey Mysterio & Rush, and they’ll announce the full card on Monday.
AAA officially announced the card for Heroes Inmortales. It’s the same as the most recent version they announced.
An interview with soon to be retiring Cordoba luchador Ringo Acosta.
MDA (SUN) 10/08/2017 Arena Coliseo Guadalajara
1) Rielero & Vaquero Jr. © vs Mr. Trueno & Rey Trueno [OCCIDENTE TAG]
2) Último Dragóncito vs Mini Rey Misterio
3) Esfinge & Magnum vs Trauma I & Trauma II
4) Dragón Lee (CMLL) & Hechicero (CMLL) vs Juventud Guerrera & Satánico
5) Último Dragón & Volador Jr. vs Laredo Kid & Negro Casas
The Ultimo Dragon anniversary shows will never end. That main event looks fun, and the semimain has a weird collection of people.
AAA TV (FRI) 10/20/2017 Palenque de la Feria, Metepec, Estado de México
1) Big Mami & Niño Hamburguesa vs Australian Suicide & La Hiedra
2) Angelikal, Hijo Del Vikingo, Lanzeloth vs Ángel Mortal Jr., Tiger Boy, Villano III Jr.
3) Dark Cuervo & Dark Scoria vs Monsther Clown & Murder Clown
4) Aerostar, Drago, Raptor vs Averno, Chessman, Súper Fly
5) Hijo del Fantasma, Pagano, Texano vs ?, ??, ???
6) Dr. Wagner Jr. & Psycho Clown vs Kevin Kross & Rey Escorpión
AAA lineups a month form now mean nothing, especially after a PPV. I’d guess the idea is for Impact wrestlers in the semifinal, since those are the three guys appearing on GFW’s show. Looks like the Llave winners are just going to be grouped in with the Lanzeloth/Venum guys who aren’t much, which should produce really good matches if limit how big a star they’re going to be.