In the July edition of the como estaz podcast, Rob and I talked about Lucha Underground, Ricochet’s comments and how confident (or not) we are about Season 4 at this point. We talk about AAA, it’s lack of coherence and try to figure where it too will be in a couple months. And we talk about Fake Sombras, why CMLL might be having them, and who might behind them. If you make it all the way to the end, you’ll get some talk about the better matches Rob’s watched lately (and Rob trying to intervene to get me to stop watching bad Puebla shows.)
The audio’s a little unbalanced, but I cleaned up with the Levelator a bit. You may have to crank it up a little bit to hear both of us.
IWRG Zona XXI: 2017-06-26
taped 2017-06-25 @ Arena Naucalpan Cloud Drive
1) Dinamic Black, Gallo Frances, Pantera del Japon vs Eterno, Látigo, Tyson La Bestia
2) Heddi Karaoui, Trauma II, Villano III Jr. vs Emperador Azteca, Hijo del Pantera, Pantera I
3) Hijo De Dos Caras, Imposible, Veneno vs Cerebro Negro, Máscara Año 2000 Jr., Trauma I
CMLL on ClaroSports.com: 2017-06-30
taped 2017-06-30 @ Arena México Cloud Drive
1) Drone, Pegasso, The Panther vs Cuatrero, Forastero, Sansón
2) Guerrero Maya Jr., Rey Cometa, Titán vs Pólvora, Ripper, Virus
3) Atlantis, Blue Panther, Soberano Jr. vs Dragón Rojo Jr., Mephisto, Sam Adonis
4) Misterioso Jr., Pierroth, Rush vs Rey Bucanero, Terrible, Vangellysin a relevos increíbles match
CMLL Universal Block A
CMLL (MON) 07/03/2017Arena Puebla [CMLL]
1) Asturiano, Black Tiger, Meyer b El Malayo, Fuerza Chicana, King Jaguar tencicos took 1/3
2) Marcela b Dalys [lightning] Marcela beat Dalys to set up a title match next week.
3) Soberano Jr., Stigma, Titán b Disturbio, Misterioso Jr., Sagrado Misterioso went after Soberano. Tecnicos took falls 1/3 to win, Soberano surprising Misterioso with a cradle. Misterioso took Soberano’s mask after the match anyway.
4) Espíritu Maligno b Ares [hair] Espiritu took 2/3 to take Ares’ hair. Ares lost his mask here last August (in his only other known singles match in this building.) It’s Espiritu’s second hair win in about 3 months (Policeman.)
5) Diamante Azul, Valiente, Volador Jr. DQ Kráneo, Mephisto, Ripper Voldaor replaced Atlantis (announced earlier in the day). Straight falls, Kraneo fouling Volador for the DQ.
6) Pierroth, Rush, Último Guerrero b Rey Bucanero, Shocker, Terrible a Fake Sombra appeared with Los Ingobernables again. (It appeared to be a different guy than Friday.) Again, he was sent to the back after getting involved in a brawl at the start of the match. Team Rush took 1/3.
Bigger crowd than usual for the hair match. The focus again was on the Fake Sombra. Going back and forth between the two shows, tonight’s Sombra looked like a different guy to me (a little shorter and a little heavier). CMLL is pushing this strong; they’ve given up on posting Puebla results or anything on these shows except for the lineups, but Fake Sombra got a mention on Twitter and an article put up on CMLL (and sent to their usual media lists.) At this point, we’re supposed to be thinking this is Manny Andrade having returned to CMLL, not CMLL creating a new Sombra like they created a new Mistico.
Rush is scheduled to be on Informa this week, so I’d assume this Sombra will make an appearance there as well.
The one thing I’m sure about this is, whatever he’s doing publicly, Andrade is surely letting WWE know this is just some CMLL angle – like, I’m sure there’s some Whatapp message or Facebook messenger or DM to his immediate supervisor where Andrade standing with one of the Fake Sombra to prove it’s not him and make sure everything’s fine. Still, it’s wrestling, where most people only hear about 1/4th of any story going around and there will inevitably be other people who think maybe Andrade did appear back in CMLL; he’s playing with a little bit of fire here, either unaware or unconcerned about the circumstances. The good thing for Andrade is this story has gotten zero traction outside of Mexico.
Today’s CMLL Tuesday show is random group of matches. Some are good, but none seem to be following up on anything. The main event is Diamante Azul, Marco Corleone, Volador Jr. versus Euforia, Guran Guerrero, and Negro Casas, which should be fine. The semimain looks like the best trios match, with the NGD facing Angel de Oro, The Panther and Blue Panther. Drone and Puma should have a fun lightning match. It’s their first lightning match against each together, though they’re 2-2 over all between Sabado Retro singles matches and the 2011 Forjando un Idolo tournament.
Fuego, Johnny Idol and Stigma take on Cancerbero, Raziel, and Universo 2000 Jr. in the tercera, where Raziel & Cancerbero see if they can keep their winning ways going over people who are actually part of things. The Tuesday second match of the doomed is Flyer, Principe Diamante and Sensei take on Arkangel, Metalico and Sangre Azteca. Stukita highlights the mini opener, with Fantasy, Mercurio and Pequeno Nitro. The show airs at 8:30pm on CMLL’s YouTube channel.
Guadalajara has Caristico, Dragon Lee and Mistico versus Cavernario, Mephisto and Ultimo Guerrero. That does seem to be following up on last week but CMLL never posted results so it’s unclear where they’re going.
Impact announced a X Division Cup, an eight man elimination tournament. Drago will face Sammy Guevera (as a The Crash rep) in a first round match. As a preview airing on their B-show Xplosion, Dragon & NOAH’s Taiji Ishimori faced Sammy Guevera & Davey Richards. I think that airs this week.
Demus & the most recent Octagoncito also appeared at the Impact tapings. It’s confusing that Octagoncito appeared under that name; he’s now wrestling exclusively as Mini Rey Misterio, Octagoncito is a name AAA owns, and he’s done multiple interviews talking about how he’s quit AAA. He was a big part of that press conference with Octagon forming an association to get lucahdors to work together against promotions like AAA. I suppose the booking could’ve been worked thru AAA, but I’d think they’d want Dinastia or Mini Psycho Clown instead. There was a report some time back in the WON about Impact contacting Mascarita Dorada to work for them (which was lightly shot down). I suspect Dorada passed on these two minis contact info, and AAA helped out GFW by letting Octagoncito use that name than Mini Rey, which has the slightest chance of getting static. It’s also possible this was a dark match – maybe this was the tryout, instead of them having tried out already – and they’ll both be something else if they get used.
It looks like Puebla was supposed to have Niebla Roja in the main event last night, didn’t for whatever reason, but is just going on with what supposed to be set up from the match. I’m not sure if that’s the best bit of CMLL or booking, or the best part is CMLL is running this same singles match two straight days.
Main event could be an excuse to do Caristico/Volador. I want them to at least get a moment to react to Fake Sombra if he’s there – Volador should attack him just to be safe.
There’s only two women CMLL seems to trust to face Dalys in a title match (Marcela & Estrellita) – she’s defended eight times against them, once against Jarochita (on a Elite show as a CMLL vs Elite) and once versus Lluvia. Dalys has been involved in the Sugehit/Zeuxis feud and a Sugehit/Dalys match would be at least different, but CMLL’s not big on being interesting.
Ares is back this week but it’s possible he won’t be around for long. They’d stopped using him before this hair match and he might just get a week or two to show he lost the match.