CMLL (TUE) 09/13/2016 Arena México [CMLL, Culticon, thecubsfan, Yahoo! Deportes]
1) Camorra & Cholo b Leono & Sensei
16:26. Rudos took 2/3.
2) Astral, Eléctrico, Stukita b Demus 3:16, Pequeño Nitro, Pequeño Violencia
13:58. Tecnicos took 2/3.
3) Blue Panther Jr., Fuego, Pegasso b Misterioso Jr., Okumura, Sagrado
14:37. Tecnicos took 2/3. Blue Panther Jr. replaced Blue Panther on Friday.
4) Pólvora b Esfinge [lightning]
Polvora won via Super Polvora Drivers in 7:31.
5) Guerrero Maya Jr., Johnny Idol, Rey Cometa b Bobby Z, Sam Adonis, Vangellys
15:08. Tecnicos took 2/3.
6) Dragón Lee, Rush, Titán b Luciferno, Matt Taven, Mephisto
13:22. Matt Taven replaced Dragon Rojo on Friday. Tecnicos took 2/3, Titan pinning Mephisto to set up a title match next week.
This was definitely a Tuesday show. Rush started off the main event not wanting to do with anything to with his partners, then joined in later. I guess we’re back to normal Ingobernable stuff, but it should probably have been better thought out when he’s teaming with the guy he shoved away at the end of a major mask match two weeks ago.
I keep thinking Titan is still national welterweight champion, but that’s Barbaro Cavernario. Mephisto is CMLL Welterweight Championship and National Trios Champion, so Titan beating him for the single title would increase the number of champions to 17. They could still get around having an extra for the Universal Tournament or fix it some other way since that tournament doesn’t seem to be happening soon. Mephisto has largely been defending the title against Mascara Dorada, and now would be facing another Guadalajara flyer who may be moving up into Dorada’s spot.
Lucha Underground has episode 3×02 tonight, “The Amulet”. It’s about an amulet. Matches announced and/or teased in preview images
- Dr. Wagner Jr. vs TBA
- Mil Muertes vs Argenis
- Killshot vs Marty the Moth Martinez in a Weapons of Mass Destruction match (Marty promo, entrances)
The WMD match is said to be one of the crazier matches of the season. CultIcon previews that match. This very much may be a thing only I’m thinking about, but it’s probably a good thing this match is happening after the 09/11 anniversary and not in the days leading up to it.
As far as I can tell, the Lucha Underground rating for last week next came out; it wasn’t in the top 150 shows of the night, which doesn’t seem like a great sign.
On the WWE Network, the Cruiserweight Classic wraps up with a two hour final. Gran Metalik/Mascara Dorada is set to face Zack Sabre Jr. in one semifinal. Sabre was a favorite to win the competition coming in, but has said to pass on signing with WWE and that’ll probably affect the outcome. The other semifinal is Kota Ibushi versus TJ Perkins (aka Havana Brother Dos.) Ibushi is also telling the press he doesn’t plan on signing with WWE. Anyone could not be telling the truth, but that would point to Perkins vs Metalik as the most likely final. Mascara Dorada is still being advertised in Mexico for at least four weeks and probably won’t be full time in WWE until after, so TJP is the most likely winner, but it’s no certainty either way.
Alberto el Patron replaced Rey Mysterio on the Crash show next Saturday because CMLL threatened to pull their guys, according to Konnan on his podcast. Konnan says Paco Alonso believed Mysterio is still working for AAA. Konnan insists Rey is actually independent (and he probably is, though you can see where that’d be hard to see from the outside with Rey working TripleMania and the next TV taping), but CMLL said they’d pull all their guys if Rey was kept on the show.
That news story is the only trace of Podcast Boom #20 at the moment; It went up yesterday and it was later deleted from YouTube and isn’t on the RSS streams. Not sure why. I didn’t hear it. It’s a podcast with Konnan, and a podcast where they’re pushing the envelope on what’s revealed about lucha libre, so the obvious guess is someone said something they didn’t want out (like maybe the above.) They’ve also had techinical issues in the past, so it could’ve been something less exciting.
Matt Taven, Mascara 2000, La Jarochita, Tiger, Puma and probably other people I missed were announced for CMLL Informa today. Tiger mentioned he got his US work visa recently, so maybe Tiger & Puma are announcing plans to go some place where they can wrestle higher than the second match. Matt Taven is trying to create a new Kingdom, Puma is literally a King, let’s make this happen.
SuperLuchas successfully trolled Fantasma into responding to them, the sign of a very good troll. Fantasma says he required TripleMania to have two ambulances and sets of medical equipment on hand since they were doing extreme wrestling, and required the wrestlers to sign a waiver before doing the match. The interesting part is Fantasma sees giving retired luchadors (unpaid) roles as part of the commission (and, to an extent, Leyendas Inmortales) as about as brightening those guys lives by putting them back in a wrestling environment again.
Tomorrow’s the last normal day for this site for about a couple weeks. I’m headed back to Mexico on Friday morning and will be there until the 26th. I’m always concerned ‘ll disappear from the site for a while, and then end up doing more than usual, so this time I’m just saying stuff will probably happen but not in the normal ways. I’m going to try to do the Lucha Underground recap next Wednesday (though it’ll almost definitely be later than usual) and I’ll try to have a video post on Tuesday. There will probably be less TV recaps and more podcasts and a varying amount of news. I won’t be able to record the ClaroSports show on Friday, but there’s other people doing that and better (and with Monterrey posting their own matches this week, almost every show is getting up some other way – I’m not sure if there’s much a need for me to do it at this point.)
We’re also going without the two people who speak by far the best Spanish, so the chance of me dying (and, more importantly, not being able to update the site) is slightly increased. I haven’t even packed anything yet, I’m not even entirely sure how I’m getting to the airport, the only things I’ve done is reactivate my MiFi data and download things to watch on my tablet, this should go great.
There’s a new edition of the ¡Sorpresa! ¡Es Lucha! podcast talking about PWG, Trauma/Canis, TripleMania, and the Anniversary show. Voices of Wrestling’s Lucha of the Hidden Temple podcast is also back.
Segunda Caida reviews Lucha Underground Season 2, Ultima Lucha Part 1.
Reina Isis & Arkangel are going to Puerto Rico from today until September 19th, including Arkangel wrestling in WWC. This is the a visit to the Puerto Ricans who’ve been training under Arkangel.
IWRG (SUN) 09/18/2016 Arena Naucalpan
1) Astro & Black Dragón vs Demonio Infernal & Skanda
2) Óscar El Hermoso & Tesorito vs Diva Salvaje & Juana La Loca
3) Black Terry vs El Hijo del Diablo
4) Dragón Fly, Pantera I, Veneno vs Hijo de Pirata Morgan, Killer Jr., Toscano
5) Canis Lupus, Hijo De Dos Caras, Máscara Año 2000 Jr. vs Demon Clown, Negro Navarro, Trauma I
6) Imposible © vs Rey Misterio Heredero [IWRG IC MIDDLE]
No hair match for Terry & Diablo yet (and maybe not for a couple weeks given the other shows running this building.) They’re getting to the title match much quicker – maybe Misterio isn’t hanging around long – and Demon Clown is back again.
Lucha Memes (SUN) 09/25/2016 Arena Naucalpan
1) Araña de Plata, Atomic Star, Black Dragón, Demonio Infernal, Dragón Fly, Fireman, Kanon, Lilith Dark vs Astrolux, Baby Star Jr., Black Metal, Ciber Punk, Garrobo Punk, Tekilita, Tonak,Zafiro (Chihuahua) [Torneo FILL]
2) Keira, La Magnifica, Lady Maravilla vs Arez, Belial, Impulso
3) Ángel de Oro, Drastik Boy, Ronnie Mendoza vs Alas de Acero, Aramis, Iron Kid
4) Sharlie Rockstar vs Trauma I
must win via el Pozo
5) Dragón Lee, Rey Cometa, Titán (CMLL) vs Freelance, Mike Segura, Sádico
6) Último Guerrero vs Dr. Cerebro
7) Black Terry, Solar I, Virus vs Alberto Dos Rios, Caifan, Hechicero
8) Volador Jr. vs Rey Horus
This show is crazy. This is a show I will be going to.
LLB DTU (SUN) 10/16/2016 Arena Naucalpan
1) Dragóncito De Oro, Mini Fantasma De La Opera, Panterita, Súper Pinochito vs Bracito De Plata, Felinito, Mini Dr. Xtreme, Pachuco
2) Chica Ye-Ye, Fuerza Negra, Loco Max vs Atomic Star, Freelance, Ojo De Halcón
3) Eterno, Fly Star, Séptimo Dragón, Toxin vs Atm, Black Terry, Cerebro Negro, Dr. Cerebro
4) Bárbaro Cavernario & Misterioso Jr. (CMLL) vs Carta Brava Jr. (IWL) & Fantasma de la Ópera and Cíclope & Paranoiko and Ángel o Demonio & Ovett
5) Drastik Boy & Ronnie Mendoza vs Mike Segura & Sádico and Arez & Belial
6) Carístico vs Titán (CMLL), Volador Jr., Máscara Dorada [Copa Boom Internacional]
When they announced those four guys for the main event, I didn’t realize they’d be the only four in the main event. That match is going to be something. As of this moment, I don’t have any matches past this point for Dorada (but it’s too soon to know for sure if this is it, and there’s always the chance he gets pulled before this point.)
Lucha Libre Boom shows might turn up on AYM, and might now. No way of knowing.