What happened:Zeuxis retained the Mexican Women’s Championship over Silueta in a very good match. The Panthers defeated Hijos del Infiernos in straight falls and challenged them for a title match; Mephisto said no
What was good:The women’s title match was the only one you really need to see, but it was very good.
IWRG (SUN) 02/21/2016Arena Naucalpan [+LuchaTV, The Gladiatores]
1) Alas de Acero & Aramis b Adrenalina & Power Bull
2) Astro & Súper Astro Jr. b Hip Hop Man & Matrix Jr.
3) Black Terry, Cerebro Negro, Dr. Cerebro b Diablo Jr. I, El Hijo del Diablo, El Imposible [super libre] straight falls; Dr. Cerbero took advantage of the rules to drop Imposible with a martinete in the first fall, which left him out of action.
4) Apolo Estrada Jr., Canis Lupus, Eterno b Diva Salvaje, Pasion Kristal, Súper Nova
5) Hijo De Dos Caras, Solar I, Veneno DQ Heddi Karaoui, Herodes Jr., Mr. Águila Mr. Aguila fouled Dos to set up a feud. Aguila’s first match here since September 20, 2007.
Low turnout out for this show. No new TV for a while; I think they were filming this, but it could’ve been still photography.
CMLL (SUN) 02/21/2016Arena Coliseo Guadalajara[Fuego en el Ring]
1) Avispón Negro Jr. & Micro b Black Sugar & Quca Tecnicos took 1/3.
2) Gitano & Mr. Brisa b El Tapatío & Javier Cruz Jr. Rudos took 1/3.
3) Explosivo & Star Black b Gran Kenut & Thunder Boy Tecnicos took 1/3.
4) Espectrúm, Mosco X Fly, Ráfaga b El Divino, León Blanco, Vaquero Jr. Rudos took 1/3, Espectrum using the ropes to beat Vaquero Jr. Vaquero wants a singles match.
5) Dalys & La Comandante b La Vaquerita & Silueta Rudas took 2/3.
Espectrum’s just back after losing his mask and disappearing for many months, Vaquero Jr. is a young guy who they seem high on, Espectrum probably shouldn’t invest in haircuts any time soon since he might be getting a free one.
CMLL (MON) 02/22/2016Arena Puebla
1) Espíritu Maligno & Fuerza Chicana b Asturiano & Millenium 11:22. Rudos took 1/3.
2) La Comandante, Reyna Isis, Zeuxis b Estrellita, Princesa Sugehit, Silueta 15:15. Rudos took 2/3.
3) Delta, Esfinge, Guerrero Maya Jr. b Ares, Okumura, Virus 15:57. Tecnicos took 2/3. Ares replaced Sangre Azteca.
4) Ephesto, Luciferno, Mephisto b Dragón Lee, Titán, Valiente 14:41. Valiente replaced Maximo. Hijos del Infierno took 1/3.
5) Atlantis, La Máscara, Rush DQ Rey Bucanero, Último Guerrero, Vangellys 9:41. Tecnicos took 2/3, the last when Ultimo Guerrero fouled Atlantis. The Ingobernables had broken up an Atlantis pin moments earlier and walked out on him after the match. Caristico, in his first Arena Puebla appearance since returning, made the surprise save but also was overwhelmed by the rudos. Caristico challenged Ultimo Guerrero.
Bad show, with the opener being the only notable good match. Caristico showing up at the end with no warning made it a little memorable, and also indicated plans had changed from last week.
Tonight’s Arena Mexico main event is scheduled to be Super Porky, Angel de Oro and Valiente versus Terrible, Niebla Roja, and Gran Guerrero, though Brazo de Plata’s hasn’t been making all of his matches on the show.
The actual big match on the show is Zeuxis versus Silueta for Zeuxis’ Mexican Women’s Championship. Zeuxis has said she’s okay. She was in the ring only a little bit in last night’s match, but also didn’t show a limp from last week’s injury. This is Silueta’s last match in CMLL before heading back to Japan for three months, which could mean a title change and Zeuxis getting the rematch in Japan. On the other hand, Silueta already has a REINA title they could just as easily do a title match around and Zeuxis seemed to start a new feud with Princesa Sugehit last night in Puebla. Zeuxis is the obvious favorite in a vacuum and I believe she’ll win tonight, but it’s not a certainty.
These two generational rivals try for an epic match every time they have a singles match, and something seems to go off the rails every time. Their matches kind of remind me of the Terrible/Rush ones, where they were almost great for quite a while before they figured it out. Maybe this will be the time where it finally all works out.
The other match with an ongoing issue is the Hijos del Infierno versus the Divinos Laguneros. The rudos won last week with a foul on Blue Panther last week. Hijos del Infierno are the current national trios champions, last defending them in early December.
Guadalajara has a Marco Corleone, Mascara Dorada, Volador Jr. versus Cavernario, Mr. Niebla and Negro Casas as the main event. Casas beat Dorada last week and challenged for a title match, which might be coming next week.
The big news from last night was an announcement of a Homenaje a Dos Leyendas press conference Wednesday at noon (Central). The main event for show should be announced on the show. It’s likely Negro Casas versus Volador. Volador has challenged for the match repeatedly and Casas has accepted the last few times, saying they only need a date. This should be the date.
Ultimo Guerrero versus Thunder looked to be penciled in for this show and looks to be pulled again. That’d a least a third time it’s happened: the match was set up for September and December (and could’ve happened instead of Ultimo Guerrero versus Rey Escorpion too.) Thunder is one of his periods of being unexplainable missing from the ring – I’m guessing the situation is he’s only used on Fridays, but they’re keeping him off once they changed plans again. The match still seems inevitable, though Thunder being off the card would be a sign something is off. (Most likely option is something like Thunder, Rush and Mascara versus Maximo, Marco and Ultimo Guerrero as the semimain.)
It’s unclear if CMLL will announce the full card or anything else. They usually try to group a few announcements, and mentioning Zeuxis & Silueta heading to Japan seems likely to be one of them. The press conference will be streaming live on YouTube.
This main be related to Homenaje a Dos Leyendas or something else: there’s a $10 CMLL application you can now buy on Playstation 3 and Playstation 4. I have no idea what it is, but $10 is about the usual cost for an iPPV and the next one is coming up soon. It wouldn’t make sense for the Monday/Tuesday shows since they’re on YouTube for free (and you can watch YouTube on those systems), though I guess it could be a very overpriced viewer for the Friday night shows. No better picture to sell things Kraneo & Mije. I may throw $10 at this later to figure out what’s going on, but I suspect this might be something also addressed at the press conference tomorrow.
Wednesday is usually the big AAA announcement day too, so there’s a chance the Rey de Reyes card could be released tomorrow too. Might not be this soon, but worth keeping an eye out.
Lucha Underground will be running it’s first show away from Los Angeles: they’ll be at the Austin Music Hall in Austin, Texas on Tuesday March 15 as part of the annual SXSW festival. That’s a film/tech/music thing which takes over the city, which used to be a superb place to go if you wanted to get buzz in those places and still is pretty good. That’s what the show is, a chance to create more buzz for the product and a hope the buzz will get them the deals they want to get done. Either way, people in and around Austin still get a free show. You can get tickets here, which are (of course) free, though they note it doesn’t guarantee a ticket. Line up early. No lineup or talent list announced; they probably won’t have one and will fill up quick either.
CMLL (MON) 02/29/2016Arena Puebla
1) Astro, Centella Roja, Millenium vs Ares, Mini Joker, Saurón
2) Black Tiger, Rey Samuray, Starman vs Arkángel de la Muerte, Espíritu Maligno, Fuerza Chicana
3) Princesa Sugehit vs Zeuxis [lightning]
4) Dragón Lee, Stuka Jr., Titán vs Ephesto, Luciferno, Mephisto
5) Atlantis, Carístico, Mistico vs Euforia, Rey Bucanero, Último Guerrero
A five match show with a lightning match is going to be pretty quick, or one match is going a lot longer than usual. Caristico’s last match here was beating Negro Casas in a singles match in 2011, his next might be a singles with Ultimo Guerrero. Semimain is essentially a rematch despite no angle to set it up.
AAA Go Mask (SAT) 03/05/2016 Arena Jardines, Ecatepec, Estado de México
1) Baeker, Odin, Shura vs Capricornio, Toruk, Yagami
2) Astrolux, Íkaro, Mini Black Shadow vs Black Metal, Hantar, Moria
3) Dinastía, Faby Apache, Niño Hamburguesa vs Mamba, Mini Psicosis, Taya
4) Fireball & Súper Nova vs Hijo de Pirata Morgan & Súper Fly
5) Pentagón Jr. vs Fénix, Aerostar, Taurus [PDM LH]
That’s a much more interesting card than the last one. Main event and semimain could both be great. For what it’s worth, Caifan had the Perros del Mal LH title the last we knew.
MDA ELITE (SUN) 03/20/2016Arena Coliseo Monterrey
1) Baby Puma, Larry Miranda, Mini Hator vs Erika Sotelo, Lady Puma, Mini Difunto
2) Alberto Dos Rios, Chamaco Gurrola, Quinto Elemento vs Gallardo, Golden Boy, Ninja Jr.
3) Epydemius, Herodes Jr., Último Ninja vs Bestia 666, Nicho el Millionario, X-Fly
4) Black Warrior, La Máscara, Marco Corleone vs Damián 666, Halloween, Mr. Águila
5) Mil Máscaras, Súper Parka, Volador Jr. vs Canek, Hechicero (CMLL), Negro Casas
Possible winner of weirdest main event of the year. Likely the only one where Super Parka is the fourth most mobile guy in the match. Hechicero worked a lot with Canek when Leyendas Inmortales was still a thing and will probably be thrilled for this match but it’s a strange one. The show this past weekend looks to have sold out, and they figure to have a good chance to repeat in a month.