took place Arena Puebla, 01/25/2016
What happened: Rush challenged Thunder to a wrestling match for some reason. (Thunder cheated him out of a win, but still.) Delta also challenged the Boricuas to a win for equally unsound reasons. No tribute to Espectrito.
What was good: The first two matches were good. The rest was forgettable.
AAA TV (SAT) 02/06/2016 Auditorio Bentio Juárez, Cuautitlán, Estado de México
1) Dinastía, Mascarita Sagrada, Octagoncito vs Mini Abismo Negro, Mini Charly Manson, Mini Psycho Clown
2) Australian Suicide & Fireball vs Daga & Súper Fly
3) Aerostar, Drago, Fénix vs Dark Cuervo, Dark Scoria, Zorro
4) Hijo del Fantasma & Taya vs Bengala & Faby Apache and Hijo de Pirata Morgan & Lady Shani [AAA MIXED TAG, #1 Contenders] winner gets a match against Pentagon & Sexy Star.
5) Averno & Chessman vs Joe Lider & Pentagón Jr.
6) Dr. Wagner Jr. vs Blue Demon Jr., Garza Jr., Taurus [Rey de Reyes, semifinal]
Air Date: 02/13 & 02/20
The Rey de Reyes tournament is back – and maybe in the traditional 4×4 format? – and I’m concerned our favorite man-bull’s win stream might be coming to an end. He’s pretty much got to hope for the Cibernetico Memorial double countout between Blue Demon & Dr. Wagner to take them out. (Wagner going to the finals to face Psycho Clown might make some sense.)
Semimain puts the tag champions champions against their next challengers. Ring crew will need to pack a good broom to clean the ring after the thumbtacks.
Sexy Star & Pentagon Jr. are the current mixed tag team champs. These belts have scarcely been seen outside of Sexy Star photo-shoots. They’ve won the belt on April 19, 2014. They have been champions for 646 days as of today. They have made zero defenses. It’ll be 658 by the time this show comes around, and who knows by the time the match happens. This is all irrelevant trivia for an irrelevant championship. If you can go nearly two years without defending the belt without missing it, then why do you have it? Political reasons maybe, which probably also dictates this result.
It’s not clear when the match would happen; AAA doesn’t scheduled two matches the same night, so one of the tag title matches are probably on Rey de Reyes, and one is a TV taping at some point. Bengala & Faby Apache make the most sense as opponents for Sexy Star & Pentagon. Fantasma & Taya seem too important for this match and already have their own titles; it’d suggest there’s some angle going on if they’re set up against their La Sociedad friends. I can only see Shani & Pirata winning if they’d just like to notch Sexy Star & Pentagon a defense. (It’d be the first successful one on TV since 2011.) I may be very down on this championship, but the group of people in this contenders match should make for a very good match.
The first three matches should be really good to – this is going to be to an entertaining show, regardless of the booking. Tercera keeps the new trios champions against a group of high flyers (who might make sense as challengers if they’re not pulled into the Rey de Reyes or something else.) Segunda continues the Suicide/Daga match, while getting Fireball on three straight tapings. Super Fly seems to be a new Daga ally with Steve Pain not around at the moment. Minis trios opener is the first AAA TV mini trios match in about exactly a year.
Following taping is on 02/19, as they continue taping every two weeks. There’s probably at least one more to be announced in early March, as well as the SLP taping and Rey de Reyes itself, though I’m not sure about the order of the last two.
Lucha Memes (SUN) 01/24/2016Coliseo Coacalco, Coacalco, Estado de México [+LuchaTV, Black Terry Jr. (Flickr), Black Terry Jr. (Highlights), Estrellas del RIng, MT]
1) Corsario Negro Jr. & Drako b Fly Star & Toxin Money thrown in.
2) Ángel Del Amor, Demasiado, Juana La Loca b Metaleón, Mr. Leo, Toscano
3) Magia Blanca, Magnifico, Magnífico II b Alas de Acero, Aramis, Iron Kid
4) Arez, Belial, Impulso b Freelance, Mike Segura, Pantera I Said to MOTYC quality. Freelance bled after taking a header on a dive, but continued the match. The two teams fought each other again after the match, wanting a rematch and an apuesta match.
5) Joe Lider b Keira, Dr. Cerebro, Jeque, Antheus, Septimo Rayo, Resplandor Negro, Psycho Kid, Último Sombra, Obscuro, Fandango, Lady Jaguar, Astro Rey Jr., Ciber Punk, Veneno[Memes Rumble] Billed as a 22 person rumble, ended up more like 15. Match started with Dr. Cerbero & Jeque, followed by Septimo Rayo, Resplandor Negro, Psycho Kid, Ultima Sombra, Oscuro, Fandango, Lady Jaguar (debut here), Astro Rey, Keira, Cyber Punk, Veneno and Joe Lider. Final four were Lider, Veneno, Lady Jaguar and Keira. Lider eliminated Veneno, Keira eliminated Jaguar and Lider beat Keira to win the rumble.
6) Pagano b Caifan said to be a good match, both mat wrestling and extreme wrestling.
IWRG (SUN) 01/24/2016Arena Naucalpan [+LuchaTV, The Gladiatores]
1) Galaxy b Power Bull straight falls
2) Kanon & Omega b Adrenalina & Vórtize
3) Emperador Azteca, Hijo de Mascara Sagrada, Hijo del Alebrije b Artillero, Hip Hop Man, Metralla Debut for Metralla
4) Diablo Jr. I, El Hijo del Diablo, Imposible DQ Apolo Estrada Jr., Canis Lupus, Eterno Both teams asked for a title shot previously, so this might be a psuedo-#1 contenders match. DQ not specified.
5) Cerebro Negro, Dr. Cerebro, Súper Nova DQ Negro Navarro, Trauma I, Trauma II Negro hit the referee with a chair for the DQ after Dr. Cerebro had hit Trauma II with a chair.
6) Herodes Jr., Pagano, Toscano b Danny Casas, Hijo De Dos Caras, Veneno Herodes pulled Dos’ mask to set up his win, wants a title shot.
Unclear why Herodes is getting a title shot before rightful title challenger X-Fly but he should do as well as you can do with Hijo de Dos. Metralla means “Shrapnel” in Spanish; I don’t have any previous matches by someone by that name, but I could’ve mispelled someone and missed it. It is suspicious Artillero is teaming with a new mystery military themed person, but I believe Super Comando & Artillero have a younger brother who’s been wrestling on small shows as Principe Odin Jr. and this could be him. Metralla seems to small to be Super Comando from the picture and Comando appears to still be touring the US.
There’s a few new Lucha Underground news items from the weekend:
The first two episode titles are out. The premiere is “A Much Darker Place”, and the second episode is “The Dark & Mysterious.” The titles echo a comment Vampiro made in the closing montage of season one, saying he and Pentagon were going to a dark place. Darkness seems to be a theme.
The @RealDarioCuetro Twitter account posted for the first time since the finale
“newest creation” probably plays into the idea that he was going to a new temple at the end of Season 1. We know that line was said in case they had to change locations, that location change did not end up occurring, and Catrina is running the Temple instead of Dario at the start of the season (as leaked by the Lucha Underground Twitter.) Perhaps that line still matters, and Dario’s running a seperate/different Temple to start the season. It’d play into the idea that there’s some footage outside of the Temple we do know.
The other current dramatic El Rey show, From Dusk Till Dawn, had it’s second season added to Netflix today. Still no sign of Lucha Underground. The TV schedules for the network suggest that, after one last repeat of Ultima Lucha on Wednesday, the Season 1 shows will no longer air on El Rey. My thinking for a while is either the show gets added on Netflix sometime in the next week or so, or it’s not happening any time soon because the impetus wouldn’t be there. I could be completely off on that, but this is the time where Lucha Underground is going to have a lot of eyeballs on it because it’s been hyping the premiere for a month, and when you’d expect them to make new networks/carriage announcements.
I probably should write a longer reminder/preview/SEO-friendly! piece on Lucha Underground in the next few days. If you’ve got a question about the show, maybe leave in the comments and I’ll try (and possibly fail) to answer it.
Arena Lopez Mateos has a cage match with a mask on the line Sunday. One of the luchadors made their debut last night (Arana Negra III) and one has never wrestled a match there (Tortugillo Ninja 5, though that may just be a typo.) On the other hand, it’s AULL and anyone could still win because it doesn’t really matter month to month.
CMLL (SUN) 01/31/2016Arena Coliseo Guadalajara
1) Johnny Dinamo & Micro vs Diplomático & Guerrero de la Muerte
2) Capitan Cobra & Javier Cruz Jr. vs Demonio Rojo & Mr. Apolo
3) Esfinge & Gallo vs Cancerbero & Raziel
4) Guerrero Maya Jr., Magnum, Neutrón vs Kempo Dragón, Príncipe Kisho, Ripper
5) Omar Brunetti vs Joker [OCCIDENTE MIDDLE, final]
I think Brunetti is a slight favorite, but it’s the Occidente Middleweight championship and any one could win it.
Tercera is the local tag team champs versus suitable challengers in a non title match.
What happened: Nothing! This was the usual holiday break, extended out an extra week. This recap is equally a place filler, just so I can remember they spent four full weeks on filler material this time.
Where can I watch it: All the shows are on AAA’s YouTube channel, but some of the matches are edited and you’re best off going back to the original show whenever possible
The December 19th AAA show was a tribute to Perro Aguayo Jr. Matches shown
2012-02-23: Juventud Guerrero, Perro Aguayo Jr., Mascara Ano 2000, and Cibernetico in a Rey de Reyes qualifier
2012-03-18: Jack Evans vs LA Park vs Hector Garza vs Jack Evans, Rey de Reyes final
2013-06-16: Cibernetico vs Hijo del Perro Aguayo, hair vs hair
2015-02-18: Hijo del Perro Aguayo vs Myzteziz
There were also holiday/Perro remembrance bumpers with Averno & Chessman, Electroshock (airing twice?), Dinasita (who’s attacked by the mini rudos), Mini Charly Manson, Mini Charly and Mini Abismo as a group (attacked by Dinastia and Octagoncito), and Villano IV. Most of the group, and a few others, join in for the closing Feliz Navidad
The December 26h AAA show was a look back at the Lucha World Cup. It appeared to be the same exact look back as had aired earlier this year, only with the addition of holiday messages from El Apache, Faby Apache and Electroshock. This meant the bit where Jeff Jarrett, Brian Cage, Averno and Johnny Mundo attacked Myzteziz, Rey Misterio and Alberto el Patron was back on AAA TV, after mysteriously being removed from their YouTube channel previously.
The January 1st AAA show was the first part of a look at the best of 2015. Matches shown:
2015-06-14: Alas de Oro
2015-06-14: Dark Cuervo & Dark Scoria vs Jack Evans & Angelico in a cage match
2015-08-09: Rey Misterio vs Myzteziz
2015-10-04: Copa Antonio Pena
Goya Kong, Mini Charly Manson, Mini Abismo and Mini Psycho Clown as a group, Nino Hamburguesa & Taurus handled the holiday promos. There were also video clips talking about Texano winning Rey de Reyes, Rey Mysterio returning to AAA, the Dream Team winning the first Lucha World Cup, AAA’s charity work, Tropicasas’s Hall of Fame induction.
The January 8th AAA show continued the Best of AAA theme
2015-11-15: Dinastia (c) vs Mini Abismo Negro for the AAA Minis Championship
2015-06-14: Alas de Oro – joined in progress
2015-10-04: Garza Jr., Psycho Clown, Rey Mysterio Jr. vs Hijo del Fantasma, Myzteziz, Texano Jr.
It seems notable AAA aired matches which featured both Alberto and Myzteziz; either they didn’t think they had enough Best of material without them, or they didn’t think showing guys who won’t be around any more was an issue. It’s hard not to notice not just those big names, but no one bigger than Electroshock or Taurus is shown in new material for this entire month. (It’s likely these were just the people who happened to be available on that day.)
Taurus, Chessman, Monster Clown, Murder Clown, Electroshock spoke in the inbetween segments. A short video on the lucha libre exhibit is also shown.
This show is the first to promote Guerra de Titanes by name, though not by announcing any matches. Previous shows had just mentioned a taping and a date, but not given it the name. The vignettes on this show were from a production room, instead of in front of a Christmas tree as previous ones. It seems like a way not date them as much, though Monster Clown is still wearing his Santa cap.