- LATV lasted one week. Alas.
- AAA starts Verano de Escandalo. No preview yet (and last week’s show hasn’t been put up), so there’s no telling what’ll air.
- Lucha Underground is skipping around a little bit again; they’ve aired the second taping on Saturday and now the first taping on a Sunday. Not an exciting show on paper.
- Blue Panther versus Canelo Casas could be the worst match of the tournament. Tuesday’s matches look much stronger.
- Casas & Shocker versus Sombra & Naito could be very good.
- AULL should start to air their anniversary show
IWRG (WED) 06/24/2015 Arena Naucalpan [Black Terry Jr. (Flickr), Mano a Mano, The Gladiatores]
1) Pequeño Puma & Sexy Angel b El Teniente & Sardito
Sardito & Teniente are a military themed couple. One fall opener.
2) Adrenalina, Centinela Oriental, Hijo del Alebrije b Blue Monsther, Guerrero 2000, Super Jack
3) Aeroman, Dragon Fly, Power Bull b Aztlán, Enigma, Vortize
Power Bull replaced Dragon Celestial. Aeroman beat Aztlan with a Canadian Destroyer.
4) Maquiavelico, Sonic, Voraz b Espada de Plata, Keiser Dragon, Toxin Boy
Gym Hip Hop (Sonic) beat Gym Zeuz (Toxin Boy) after Espada de Plata’s mask was pulled without the ref noticing.
5) Eterno DQ Black Terry
Bloody match. Atomic Star & Electro Boy ran out to help Eterno, with Aeroman & Power Bull making the save. Terry tried to use that distraction to foul Eterno, but the referee caught him and called for the DQ.
is the DHC 342 a music thing or a lucha thing? The t-shirt style is modeled after the RUN DMC ones, but Eterno’s guys all appeared to be wearing those shirts.
CMLL (SUN) 06/21/2015 Arena Coliseo Guadalajara [CMLL]
1) El Tapatío & Star Black b El Gitano & Relampago
2) Explosivo & Frezzer b Gran Kenut & Thunder Boy
Gran Kenut replaced Infierno
3) Joker, Pitbull I, Pitbull II b Espectrum, Exterminador, Maléfico
Pitbull I snuck in a foul on Malefico to give Pitbull II the win. Malefico & Exterminador are feuding with the Pitbull in a Guadalajara versus Tala feud.
4) Esfinge & Magnum DQ El Yaqui & Nube Roja and Linterna Verde Jr. & Toro Negro and Furia Roja & Furia Roja Jr. and Centella & Évola and Ráfaga & Ráfaga Jr.
father and son tags. Debut of Rafaga Jr. here – he’d been in a 2013 indy version of this match (with the Javier Cruzs, Centellas, and Esfinge/Magnum) Furia Roja Jr. and Centella are also making first appearances (or first appearances in a long time.) Match came down to Rafagas vs Esfinge/Mangum, only Centella attacked Malefico when it appeared as though he was about to win for the DQ.
Centella is on the card next week, so it looks like they’re running a feud with him and Magnum.
CMLL (TUE) 06/23/2015 Arena Coliseo Guadalajara [CMLL, R de Rudo]
1) Espectrum & Sádico b El Divino & Frezzer
2) Cancerbero, Hijo del Signo, Sangre Azteca b Esfinge, Oro Jr., Stigma
3) Puma b Maléfico © [OCCIDENTE LH]
Exterminador was listed as champion, but Malefico was the actual champion and the guy who defended the title. Puma took 1/3 to win the title. Malefico fell on his third defense.
4) Blue Panther, Diamante Azul, Stuka Jr. b Kráneo, Olímpico, Ripper
Tecnicos took 2/3.
5) La Sombra, Máximo, Rush b Dragón Rojo Jr., Pólvora, Rey Escorpión
Revolucionarios took 2/3, the last when Rey Escorpion snuck in a foul on Maximo
to recap: CMLL didn’tk now who was held a belt, and would like us to care about someone else winning. Exciting times.
CMLL had a press conference yesterday, then sent out press releases on it. Of course, since the Rey Escorpion/Ultimo Guerrero hair vs hair match wasn’t set up on that show, the press release teases the team versus team match that didn’t happen. (It doesn’t come across like the person writing the press release was sure about what match was going to be signed.)
They also brought out the En Busca de un Idolo participants, apparently to make it clear to everyone that isn’t going well. That may be a little bit of my cynicism, but it reads like those in the tournament feel the same way or even stronger. Tony Salazar started off the segment by criticizing all the luchadors performance so far. That apparently angered Disturbio (though another report says Salazar actually praised Boby and Disturbio.) Disturbio ripped Tirantes for complaining about the physical fitness of luchadors when he hasn’t wrestled in years (and is in worse condition) and mocked Shocker for doing the same Shocrates quote bit before each segment. (Hijo del Gladiator was not mentioned by name in the CMLL recap, but it was said he was against all the judges.) Disturbio complained that the judging comments didn’t make any sense. Disturbio ridiculed the judges for pushing the competitors towards mat wrestling, saying the fans are used to a more exciting style and boo when they keep it on the mat because the expectations have been raised so much. And Disturbio accused the voting form of not registering votes correctly, with votes sometimes not counted at all. (Imagine if someone told him how easy it was to vote a 100 times for someone.) Disturbio said he was tired of being in the openers, tired of being told ‘a luchador should be content with any position on the card’, and he’s going to just smash anything that’s in front of him. Very few other luchador comments were recorded, outside of Delta blaming his knee injury on his performance and Zavala & Maya being happy with their position.
Pretty much everything Disturbio said has been said by people watching the tournament, almost point by point. In almost any other promotion, this would likely be part of a reality based angle. In CMLL, Disturbio probably was actually really angry, picked an interesting time to air his grievances, but it may not publicly go anywhere (outside of maybe now getting trashed by the judges.) Intentionally or not, angle or not, Disturbio positioned himself as an anti-establishment choice, and 2015 is a pretty good year to be anti-CMLL establishment.
The same press conference announced a 07/10 luchadora cibernetico, in honor of ten years of the the current incarnation of the women’s division. The lineup was said to be a twelve person match with Amapola, Zeuxis, Seductora, Tiffany, Dalys, Estrellita, Vaquerita, Princesa Sugehit, Marcela, Silueta, Dark Angel and Goya Kong. The last three weren’t at the press conference. It does mean Dark Angel is expected back next month.
We know a little bit more about the All Elite mystery person situation. Shelton Benjamin (or Benjamin Shelton as listed on the poster) has officially been added to the card, though All Elite hasn’t said which match he’ll be in. Likewise, they held a press conference today and announced Juventud Guerrera would be on the show.
It also appears Davey Richards & Bobby Lashley were actually booked for the show at some point; the Wrestling Observer confirms Davey got himself double booked but will be working the TNA show. Lashley is also on the TNA PPV so he won’t be in All Elite. All Elite not announcing the mystery men might just be because they haven’t figured them out quite yet. Hernandez will be working the show: the same newsletter says AAA/LU wrestlers are (now?) prohibited for working for Liga Elite because AAA sees that as competition and so Hernandez must’ve no longer be working with LU.
Tigre Uno won TNA’s X Title last night. That’d indicate he’s also working the TNA PPV this Sunday (and not All Elite) and probably also that they’re not hoping to get Rey Mysterio Jr. and are going with someone else as their latest big Latino star.
I don’t know if this is a YouTube error or something weirdly related to the TNA/GFW thing, but the Jeff Jarrett/Johnny Mundo/Cage/Averno attack on the tecnicos from the Lucha World Cup TV show is now marked private on YouTube. You can still see it on my channel.
NJPW World has video of the 06/19 Marco Corleone, Naito, Rush vs Rey Bucanero, Shocker, Terrible. That’ll air on Azteca next weekend. Maybe they haven’t gotten to Sunday yet? I guess I have to hold on for a couple more days.
The All Elite Guadalajara show airs again tonight. If you’re Guadalajara, I’d love to get a copy.
Mini Psycho Clown is excited for his big title match this weekend. Dinastia says the AAA mini title is the most important mini title in Mexico, and he wants to leave Orizaba with it.
The lucha libre commission and the Mexico City education department announced a program to help luchadors finish their primary and secondary education.
Kcidis draws Rey Escorpion vs Ultimo Guerrero.
Lucha Libre In Japan
06/23 REINA: Makoto, Rina Yamashita b Silueta & Reina Isis [X] [REINA TAG]
CMLL (TUE) 06/30/2015 Arena Coliseo Guadalajara
1) Flash II & Magnum vs Furia Roja & Joker
2) Meteoro, Stukita, Último Dragoncito vsMercurio, Pequeño Nitro, Pequeño Olímpico
3) Gallo, Hombre Bala Jr., Súper Halcón Jr. vsCancerbero, Okumura, Raziel
4) Blue Panther, Blue Panther Jr., Super Porky vs Misterioso Jr., Pierroth, Sagrado
5) Máximo, Mistico, Volador Jr. vs Ephesto, Rey Bucanero, Rey Escorpión
DTU LLC (SUN) 07/05/2015 Cancha de Futbol Rap, Nuevo Laredo, Tamaulipas
1) El Porrito & Masizito vs Chiqui Nerd I & Chiqui Nerd II
2) Galactico Dragon & Negra Luz vs Perro Negro & Speed Demon
3) Ángel Azul & Kronos vs Galaxy & Vengador (Querétaro)
4) El Chato & El Nene vs ? & Black Fire
5) Chica Ye-Ye, Jimmy, Kevin vs Destello, Joven Maravilla, Maremoto Jr.
6) The Rotation vs Drastik Boy, Rocky Lobo, Lanzeloth, Lokillo, Jinzo
7) Ángel o Demonio & Ovett vs Demente Extreme & El Recio
8) Aero Boy & Violento Jack vs Crazy Boy & Pesadilla and Cíclope & Miedo Extremo
This is the last show on the three day DTU swing, though the first to turn up. The Rotation arrives from Germany’s WXW.