DTU BOOM (SAT) 04/18/2015 Arena Lopez Mateos [Estrellas del Ring, Tercera Caida]
1) Halcón 2000 b Gato Negro, Kronico
2) Chica Ye-Ye, Jimmy, Kevin, Tony b Fantasma De La Opera II, Kid Jaguar, Ojo De Halcón, Shadow
Fantasma de la Opera suffered a triple fracture of his femur during this match. At the end of the match, Shadow’s La Resitancia partners Kilvan, Rey Lobo Jr. and Yoruba (wearing CaraLucha shirts) helped him out but not enough to win. They appeared ot be anti-DTU/Boom.
3) Pesadilla b Golden Magic and Belial and Drastik Boy and Dinamic Black and Arez
Pesadilla beat Dinamic Black. Money thrown in.
4) Freleance & Suicida b Cíclope & Miedo Extremo [tlc]
Los Masizos wanted a rematch under extreme rules
5) Black Terry b Onita Santana, Paranoiko, X-Fly, Makabre, Tony Rivera
Terry beat X-Fly to win in an extreme match
6) Crazy Boy, Pantera I, Super Mega b Carta Brava Jr. I, Cerebro Negro, Fantasma de la Ópera
Crazy Boy was supposed to team with Psicosis & a mystery wrestler, ended up with Pantera I and Super Mega.
7) Damián 666 & Halloween b Ángel o Demonio & Ovett and Aero Boy & Violento Jack
Crowd was happy to see Familia de Tijuana and threw money in.
8) Pagano b Nicho el Millionario [bull terrier]
Pagano beat Nicho again, again demanded a hair match.
Building looked packed for this show. Angel o Demonio suffered a horrible cut in his match thanks to some light tubes; Black Terry Jr. has video of the horrible cut being sowed up if you are into horrible cuts or sowing.
CMLL (SAT) 04/18/2015 Arena Coliseo [CMLL]
1) Mercurio b Fantasy
package piledriver for the win.
2) El Rebelde b Sensei
Rebelde won via armbar
3) Silueta b Narumiya
Silueta won via moonsault
4) Virus b Hombre Bala Jr.
double armbar, money thrown in
5) Boby Zavala b Starman
Zavala won via powerbomb
6) Kamaitachi, Rey Bucanero, Terrible b Blue Panther, Dragon Lee, Valiente
Blue Panther Jr. replaced Titan. Rudos took 2/3, the last by using the ropes.
7) Shocker & Último Guerrero DQ Máximo & Volador Jr.
Shocker faked a foul from Maximo.
A show! Silueta beating Narumiya again suggest they’re heading to the match. Pretty weird when the programs booked in service of the tiny Japanese promotion are more coherent than their own.
CMLL (SUN) 04/19/2015 Arena México [CMLL]
1) Bengala & Leono b Artillero & Súper Comando
2) Nitro, Sangre Azteca, Virus b Hombre Bala Jr., Súper Halcón Jr., Tritón
3) Fuego, Super Porky, Valiente b Kráneo, Pólvora, Vangellys
4) Ephesto, Luciferno, Mephisto b Blue Panther, Blue Panther Jr., The Panther [MEX TRIOS, #1 Contenders, semifinal]
There may have been a battle royal to determine seeding.
6) Atlantis, Delta, Guerrero Maya Jr. b Euforia, Gran Guerrero, Niebla Roja [MEX TRIOS, #1 Contenders, semifinal]
7) Atlantis, Delta, Guerrero Maya Jr. b Ephesto, Luciferno, Mephisto [MEX TRIOS, #1 Contenders, final]
Reyes del Atlantida earn a shot at Peste Negra for the belts next week.
8) Marco Corleone, Máximo, Volador Jr. b Rey Bucanero, Shocker, Terrible
Reyes del Atlantida were the favorites to win the title shot, and are even bigger favorites next week. No one knows what the future holds for Mr. Niebla, but you probably don’t want him to be champion just in case. There’d have to be a specific bigger plan in mind for Peste Negra to keep the titles; there’s a story that needs to be told either way. Guerrero Maya Jr. falling into another title reign is not a bad outcome.
Volador being here meant he couldn’t be in Guadalajara for the All Elite show. Zumbi took his place. So bizarre CMLL would’ve booked him in two places (and that no one noticed all week.)
Joe Lider said on a radio interview (via SuperLuchas) no one from AAA’s office has yet told them what will happen to the Perros del Mal group. Lider notes the name is not owned by AAA; the trademark was specifically signed to Perro Aguayo Jr. Right now, he would prefer himself, Pentagon, Daga and Taya keep using the name to keep it alive.
AdWeek has a Mark Burnett interview about having so many shows on the air (15). Lucha Underground is only name checked as one of those shows, but Burnett’s overall point is shows can keep going on indefinitely as long as there’s the advertising dollars there to support them.
Thunder has another interview up where he mentions he enjoys fighting Rush, but wants to destroy Marco Corleone. Thunder says he was a rugby player who stopped due to injuries.
LuchaWorld has KrisZ’s news update.
RobViper has a music video of the end of December 2014 CMLL C3
SuperLuchas looks back at the Arena Mexico Anniversary show of 1997, where Felino overcame a 1 on 4 disadvantage to win a cibernetico.
Monterey’s Epydemius has a video promo hyping his Chilanga Mask match with Super Mega. I know Epydemius won the white belt on a real show that lots of people actually attended, and is making the point that he’s a legitimately successful guy his home area, but showing off multiple title belts feel actually feels like a bad move in 2015 for an indy guy. There’s too many goodfballs who have three titles from small promotions that don’t mean anything that it feels like a warning sign of a guy with misplaced priorities in wrestling. It should feel like a guy that a lot of promoters think is great (and a lot of people think Epydemius is great), it just doesn’t seem like it’s done that way.
On this digression: it’s probably very much worth nothing that neither Chilanga Mask or Cara Lucha has created their own titles or really focused on title matches at all. They might someday and I’m sure they’ll make creative use of them, but their artistic success without championship belts is proof you don’t really need them to produce interesting shows. You just produce interesting shows and include a title if it makes sense.
Tercera Caida mentions LuchaRama is coming back in September 2015. When our group went to Mexico last year, at least one promoter we talked to discussed the idea of running shows around the CMLL Anniversary show to appeal to draw fans who are already in town for the bigger show, in the same style as done with WrestleMania. (TripleMania would probably work for this too, but it’s tough to plan shows around TripleMania when even AAA doesn’t seem to know what date it is. CMLL’s predictability can be immensely frustrating, but at least we know their big show is either 09/18 or 09/25.) Anyway, I’m thinking that might be what’s going on with the LuchaRama show, timed to be around the Anniversary show. It was a marathon 20 match show last year.
Celestial, Cosmico, and Talisman Jr. did an interview promoting a show they’re on in May. Those are the minis who left CMLL to join the Perros del Mal promotion. (Talisman Jr. didn’t appear in CMLL, but says he was training in Arena Mexico.) They are on Perro del Mal TV all the time until there was no Perros del Mal TV, and then they disappeared off the face of the earth. They’re hoping to get brought back to Arena Mexico.
A small story about an Abismo Negro fan in Chetumal.
No Sabado Retros show next week. Boxrec says Televisa has a card there. Weird that they’re booking it out as boxing venue, and weirder still that they’ve had more boxing events there since Sabado Retros started (3) then in the prior three years (0). I can see a Televisa broadcast boxing event doing better at the box office than a Sabado Retros, but someone has to be going on and getting those boxing events to use their venue and it didn’t seem like they were doing that before.
Soberano Jr. replaces Star Jr. on Tuesday in Guadalajara. Star Jr. missed his match last Tuesday in CMLL (which I missed too), so maybe it’s an injury issue. He’s only been working about a match a week of late.
CMLL (SUN) 04/26/2015 Arena México
Arena Mexico 59th Anniversary
1) Molotov & Sensei vs Apocalipsis & Cholo
2) Acero, Fantasy, Shockercito vs Mercurio, Pequeño Universo 2000, Pequeño Violencia
Pequeno Violencia’s return from a knee injury (the third time it’s been advertised)
3) Pegasso, Stigma, Stuka Jr. vs Arkángel de la Muerte, Nitro, Virus
4) Felino, Mr. Niebla, Negro Casas © vs Atlantis, Delta, Guerrero Maya Jr. [MEX TRIOS]
Peste Negra’s fourth defense.
5) La Sombra vs Mr. Águila, Marco Corleone, Bárbaro Cavernario, Dragon Lee, Kamaitachi, La Máscara, Ripper, Titán, Morphosis [cibernetico]
Star Jr.’s not the MIA guy people are wondering about. Rush did work the main event of the All Elite show, but isn’t booked for this CMLL show. It’d be make sense for him to be teamed up with the rest of the Ingobernables, especially for a big show. He’ll be off shows for fifteen days by this point. Maybe he’s on vacation and that photo Sombra posted with him was just an old one.
Anyway, there’s three different champions in the main and some obvious challengers, so perhaps an insta-title match is coming. I keep thinking those are going to happen and they’re really not this year, but maybe this’ll be the time.
CMLL announced they’ll have a special Turiluchas bus on next Sunday for the Arena Mexico Anniversary show. They’ve been running on Tuesday and Fridays of late.
CMLL (SUN) 04/26/2015 Arena Coliseo Guadalajara
1) Meteoro & Star Black vs El Piraña & Guerrero De La Muerte
2) Capitan Cobra & Mr. Apolo vs Mercenario & Mr. Brisa
3) El Alteño, El Divino, Linterna Verde Jr. vs Évola, Gitano, Thunder Boy
4) Forastero, Hijo del Calavera, Magnum vs El Cuatrero, Joker, Sansón [OCCIDENTE TRIOS, tournament]
5) Flash I, Flash II, Frezzer vs Furia Roja, Mr. Trueno, Rey Trueno [OCCIDENTE TRIOS, tournament]
Sunday it is – that’s the end of Friday shows for now. Those matches 2/3 in this trios tournament, which is spanning both shows. At least five new names on this show, including a whole outside segunda with four guys from Club Olimpio Arena in Tonala. (Conversely, former featured regulars Smaker & Sky Kid are now working Arena Jalisco & Arena Roberto Paz shows.) Not sure if the Guerrero de la Muerte is the local Toxico under his previous name or a new guy. There’s a Star Black in Yucatan, but this figures to be a new guy.
Cara Lucha (SAT) 05/02/2015 Arena San Juan Pantitlan, Ciudad de México, Distrito Federal
1) Magnifico II vs Tribal, Templario, Arceus
2) Bárbaro Cavernario vs Toscano vs Herodes Jr.
3) Teelo vs Leo vs Rafy vs Mike
4) La Resistencia vs Kriminal Boys, Neza Kings, Sky Star
5) Atlantis & Último Guerrero vs Fuerza Guerrera & Rey Hechicero
Everything but the opener had been mentioned earlier. Ninja Turtle match is going to be a thing.