CMLL (FRI) 08/08/2014 Arena México [CMLL, Yahoo! Deportes]
1) Mercurio & Pequeño Olímpico b Shockercito & Stukita
2) Delta, Dragon Lee, Guerrero Maya Jr. b Arkángel de la Muerte, Cancerbero, Raziel
Tecnicos took 1/3
3) Goya Kong, Marcela, Princesa Sugehit b Amapola, La Seductora, Zeuxis
4) Máscara Dorada, Valiente, Volador Jr. b Ephesto, Hechicero, Mephisto
Tecnicos took 1/3.
5) Dragón Rojo Jr. © b Rey Escorpión [CMLL MIDDLE]
Rojo took 2/3 to keep his title, escaping Escorpion’s piledriver and giving him the Dragon Bomb for th ewin. Dragon Rojo’s 8th defense. Rey Escorpion’s title was not on the line.
6) Negro Casas, Shocker, Último Guerrero b La Máscara, La Sombra, Rush
Casas snuck in a foul on Rush.
Usual bit of the big match show loser getting some revenge on those who defeated him in the main event. Not so much in the women’s match, which ended with Seductora getting medical help.
Hechicero had crazy new entrance gear, which may or may not be meaningful. Similarly, Cancerbero had new black on black gear which matches Sagrado’s rudo outfit.
Super Nova is in England. WWE should be looking to add more Latinos to their roster in the wake of firing Alberto Del Rio; you don’t wwnt to put it all on Kalsito and then have no one else if something goes wrong. Nova’s been wrestling as much in Europe as in Mexico the last half decade and would seem to be a logical guy to go after.
Sexy Star teaches you how to buy the TripleMania iPPV.
This week’s Tercera Caida has lots of coverage of the TripleMania press conference.
LuchaWorld has KrisZ’s news update.
Segunda Caida reviews CMLL on LATV Workrate Report 6/22/14.
AAA luchadors visited a children’s hospital as part of a personal hygiene campaign.
Lucha Libre in Japan
08/08 REINA: Maki Narumiya b Silueta [CMLL-REINA International Junior Championship] – new champion.
La Comandnate won her tag match elsewhere on the card.
CMLL (FRI) 08/15/2014 Arena México
1) Pegasso & Star Jr. vs Disturbio & Guerrero Negro Jr.
2) Cachorro, Dragon Lee, Tritón vs Boby Zavala, Skándalo, Virus
3) Ángel de Oro, Rey Cometa, Stuka Jr. vs Cavernario, Hombre Sin Nombre, Vangellys
4) Dragón Rojo Jr., Máscara Dorada, Volador Jr. vs Ephesto, Pólvora, Rey Bucanero
5) Negro Casas vs La Sombra, Shocker, Terrible, Mephisto, Rey Escorpión, Felino, Euforia [CMLL Universal, semifinal]
6) Atlantis, Diamante Azul, Marco Corleone vs Gran Guerrero, Niebla Roja, Último Guerrero
The Universal tournament is back for another year. Blocks on 08/15 and 08/22 with the final on 08/29. That would allow CMLL to use the final to set up another Anniversary match with plenty of time to announce it.
Weird to have a group of (more or less) all rudos. I did one more counting after realizing the luchawiki mistakenly still listed La Mascara as light heavyweight champion, and the remaining champions are Virus (CMLL Light), Dragon Rojo Jr. (CMLL middle), Ultimo Guerrero (CMLL trios), Niebla Roja (CMLL trios), Diamante Azul (NWA LH), Titan (Mex Welter), Mr. Niebla (MEX Trios) and Mistico (CMLL Welter.) I store at the champions list for about 15 minutes last night concerned I’m missing one, and I’m still not totally sure if I am or if I should avoid trying to figure out CMLL champions at 2AM.
That’s seven healthy champions for eight spots. Mistico’s not due back for two or three months. The empty spot seems like a NJPW spot, and probably Tanahashi since he won this tournament last year. NJPW and CMLL haven’t confirmed that yet. NJPW would normally make that sort of announcement either on a big show (like the G1 Final in a few hours) or the day after a big show, so confirmation should be coming in a day or two.
La Sombra versus Volador Jr. is the most likely outcome. Rey Escorpion and Dragon Rojo is the only high profile feud which could also meet in the final. Negro Casas and Tanahashi are important enough to make the final, but have no obvious opponents in the other block; La Sombra versus Tanahashi would be an event, but it doesn’t work how they’ve used either guy most recently and it doesn’t give CMLL a new Anniversary match. If this tournament final was meant to be end to itself, CMLL would’ve held it off for a few more weeks and done the final on the Anniversary show. It’s booked here as a stepping stone to something else.
Hombre sin Nombre makes another appearance – and so does Guerrero Negro Jr., which eliminates him as a suspect. CMLL posted a teaser of HsN’s mask on Facebook, which doesn’t give much away. The top guess in the comment section is Alberto del Rio. It will not be Alberto Del Rio. Hechicero is the best guess, but far from certain – maybe a 25% chance? Hechicero being in that spot would be great, but being there as another character would be less than ideal. Either Hechicero would have to stop using his many trademark spots to conceal his identity or everyone would immediately figure out it’s Hechicero and the character change would be diminished. I’m leaning towards it being someone no one’s thinking about, but I have no idea who that would be.
Whoever it is, the first half of that card looks pretty good. Wish the ex-Terra stuff would turn up somewhere.
DTU (SAT) 08/23/2014 Arena Roberto Paz, Guadalajara, Jalisco
1) Joven Maravilla & Maremoto Jr. vs ? & Vengador
2) Billy Tonink, Lacandon Jr., Powre Boy vs Jimmy, Kevin, Tony and ?, ??, ???
3) Saturno vs Gremlin (Queretaro), Kalibus (Mexico City), Lanzeloth, Castigador (Queretaro), Artikus, Eclipse (Mazatlan) [Copa Gran Cochisse]
4) Cíclope, Crazy King, Miedo Extremo vs Ángel del Misterio, Jhonky, Príncipe Halcón
5) Roberto Paz Jr. & Shiryu Dragon vs Ángel o Demonio & Ovett and Chica Ye-Ye & Estrella Divina
6) Crazy Boy, Hacker, Relámpago vs Makabre, Rayman, Slayer Pack
7) Septimo Dragon © vs B-Boy, Drastik Boy, Aero Boy, Tony Rodriguez, Black Fire [DTU AI]
Septimo Dragon is champion. First defense.
8) Violento Jack vs Willie Mack
Last of the four DTU cards.