taped 2014-07-03 @ Arena Xalapa, Xalapa, Veracruz
It was a boring two weeks. Just go read the last one again.
- CMLL continued it’s build towards the Juicio Final match with Rush and Negro Casas and their various partners continue to feud. Rush & Shocker kept the tag team titles over Rush & La Sombra. Casas is still the underdog in the hair match, but CMLL seems to be teasing the idea that an angry Rush might get himself DQed and cost himself his hair.
- TripleMania is just around the corner, but AAA itself is in a very quiet period. This past week’s TV and this upcoming week’s seem to have little in-ring build to their biggest show of the year (though they’ve stuffed the show with a lot of vignettes and video packages to fix it.) A three week stretch without a new TV taping comes to an end this weekend, and the full TripleMania card should be announced next week. Text and video promos have started teasing a cage match with Electroshock, Jeff Jarrett, La Parka and many people yet to be named – it’s possible there will be an angle to also include Myzteziz in the match on Sunday’s taping, which would explain why he hasn’t had a taping yet. Electroshock also hinted at bringing in a surprise to counter Karen Jarrett; Electroshock’s wife Lady Apache rejoining AAA would fit well for a couples feud.
- AAA’s TV also revealed TripleMania will be on Sky PPV in Mexico after all – both SummerSlam and TripleMania will air on PPV in Mexico on the same night thru the same provider. AAA also officially anounces TripleMania would also be on iPPV @ triplemaniatv.com. It using a new provider no one knows anything about and the techinical info mentions they’ll only offer refunds if 95% of the show fails to air. (If 12 minutes of 4 hour show airs, they get to keep all the money – though that would be 12 more minutes than last year.) It’s $13 if you are brave enough to purchase it by the end of the month.
- WWE announced they would return to Mexico on 10/18 (Mexico City) and 10/19 (Monterrey). Cesaro and Rosa Mendes came to both cities for press conferences (and not Alberto del Rio or Sin Cara or Rey Misterio Jr.)
- Dragon Rojo’s new start as a tecnico started with a match against fellow misplaced tecnico Volador. It did not work at all. Rojo is more normally feuding with former partner Rey Escorpion. CMLL continues to tease but not announce Atlantis vs Ultimo Guerrero as the Anniversary main event, and a Rey Escorpion/Dragon Rojo mask vs hair match looms as the most obvious monkey wrench they could throw in.
- AAA’s Fenix has been missing shows with what was announced as a fractured tibia. He’s supposed to be putting his Fusion title on the line at TripleMania, but it sounds like the injury isn’t as bad as it sounds and he’ll be back in time.
- Aeroboy beat Black Terry to tie up series of matches on ChilangaMask shows.
- Hijo de Dos Caras won the vacant IWRG IC Heavyweight Championship in what reads like a disaster of a ladder match. They broke all the (cheap) ladders they had, and then they could get the belt untied. No one hand to do a job so the luchadors were happy, which is truly the important thing.
- People who kept their titles Delta & Guerrero Maya (Arena Coliseo Tag, disappointing match), Virus (world lightweight), Guerreros (world trios), Daga (Cruiserweight title on an AAA spot show in Tijuana). Various Guadalajara titles changed hands, which doesn’t really matter.
- Loco Max lost his hair in a match he wasn’t supposed to be in, which is a very Loco Max (or Monterrey) story.
- Konnan Big had a match.
CMLL (TUE) 07/22/2014 Arena México [CMLL]
1) Magnus & Sensei b Apocalipsis & Ramstein
2) Demus 3:16, Pequeño Olímpico, Pierrothito b Angelito, Astral, Eléctrico
Rudos took 1/3, including a Martillo Negro on Angelito.
3) Cancerbero, Raziel, Virus b Cachorro, Stigma, Tritón
Rey Cometa, Fuego, Ephesto and Misterioso were subbed out for Cachorro, Stigma, Raziel and Cancerbero on Monday. Rudos took 1/3.
4) Fuego, Rey Cometa, Stuka Jr. b Ephesto, Hechicero, Misterioso II
Replaces a Felino/Stuka Jr. lightning match. Tecs took 2/3, but Cometa needed medical help after hurting his knee in the third fall.
5) Cavernario, Rey Bucanero, Terrible b Marco Corleone, Máscara Dorada, Titán
Rudos took 1/3, Cavernario beating Titan in both rudo falls. Cavernario asked for his title shot against Titan, which he won with the En Busca de un Idolo tournament.
6) Euforia b Valiente
Euforia took 1/3, sneaking in a foul.
I’m not really sure why you can’t do a clean finish in Euforia & Valiente, two guys just on the fringes of top mix. I think lucha libre programmers feel like having ‘controversial’ finishes actually add value – it gives the fans something to be emotional about as they leave – but I don’t think it actually works out that way.
Cometa seemed to be limping a little bit on Sunday, so this might have been a knee injury that was bugging him for a while. He’s a high flying luchador, he’s definitely got knee issues that have been bugging him for a while.
CMLL (TUE) 07/22/2014 Arena Coliseo Guadalajara
1) Exterminador & Virgo b Mr. Trueno & Rey Trueno
Tecnicos took 1/3.
2) Dark Angel, Estrellita, Silueta b Amapola, Dalys, Tiffany
Tiffany replaced Zeuxis. Tecnicas took 1/3.
3) Boby Zavala & Olímpico b Sky Kid & Smaker © [OCCIDENTE TAG]
Rudos took falls 1/3 to win the championship. Sky Kid and Smaker fall on their third defense.
4) Ángel de Oro, Sagrado, Super Porky b Kráneo, Mr. Águila, Ripper
Tecnicos took 1/3.
5) Gran Guerrero, Shocker, Último Guerrero b Atlantis, Blue Panther, Volador Jr.
Rudos took 2/3 with the usual Atlantis/UG feuding.
That tag title change is inexplicable. Sky Kid & Smaker are essentially the only tecnico tag team here and Olimpico is Olimpico so why even bother? Guadalajara booking works on a level I clearly do not understand. Olimpico did get a shirt that wasn’t ripped/stretched a few weeks ago, which was clearly the key to this title run. (And the people/person who makes these decisions has consisently valued Olimpico much higher than everyone else.)
CZW’s Masada will be working the 09/20 ChilangaMask show in Arena Roberto Paz.
WWS posted results for their own show on their own Facebook site, becomes my new favorite indy promotion.
Segunda Caida reviews Averno, Mephisto, Último Guerrero vs Damián 666, Misterioso II, Mr. Águila.
Koko Viper lost his hair to Memo Valles in a Monterrey cage match. Match didn’t get started until 12:22 AM because the show was running so long (and people left before it did.)
Bio of Oaxaca’s el Zombie.
CMLL (TUE) 07/29/2014 Arena México
1) Aéreo & Stukita vs Mercurio & Pierrothito
2) Dark Angel, Goya Kong, Lluvia vs Dalys, La Seductora, Tiffany
3) Dragon Lee, Pegasso, Starman vs Kamaitachi, Okumura, Virus
4) Ángel de Oro, Sagrado, Stuka Jr. vs Boby Zavala, Rey Bucanero, Terrible
5) Marco Corleone, Máscara Dorada, Super Porky vs Euforia, Gran Guerrero, Niebla Roja
6) Titán © vs Cavernario [MEX WELTER]
Titan’s fifth defense
Titan and Cavernario getting a main event is unusual. CMLL won’t usually book national title matches as the last match unless it’s involving long running stars. Then again, there’s not a lot else going on this show.
No lightning match again. Put the opener on the internet!
CMLL (TUE) 07/29/2014 Arena Coliseo Guadalajara
1) El Brillante & El Divino vs Acertijo & Magnum
2) Leo & Metatrón vs Canelo Casas & Infierno
3) Fuego, Omar Brunetti, Tritón vs Disturbio, Maléfico, Ráfaga
4) Princesa Sugehit vs Princesa Blanca [lightning]
5) Black Panther, Blue Panther, Cachorro vs Felino, Puma, Tiger
6) La Máscara, La Sombra, Rush vs Mr. Niebla, Negro Casas, Último Guerrero
Indeserables vs Negra/UG, Panthers vs Cats (Felino instea of Negro Casas.) One more Princesas match, Blanca’s potential final match ever in Guadalajara.