Psycho Clown will put his mask against Texano Jr.’s hair at TripleMania. The match will be one of the biggest matches on the show, and is the only match so far announced. (Tickets are already on sale.) The two have been feuding since just after last year’s TripleMania, with Texano winning every meaningful singles match and is expected to come to an end at this show. It seems likely Psycho will finally get his win, in an effort to give him a big moment on the biggest show of AAA’s year, though that would also mean the Texano would lose on the biggest show of the year and still be world champion.
Cavernario won the near three month long En Busca de un Idolo tournament, defeating Hechicero in a strong final following a very good tournament. Dragon Lee finished third, Cachorro finished four, but all four looked very good through the tournament. The final of the tournament got over strong with the fans, despite the relatively low visibility of the build – the tournament does not air on TV, only airing live and available after the fact in unauthorized locations, so you’d have to be a hardcore fan to follow it, much less care – and it felt like CMLL might have created new rising stars. It depends on where they go from here, and that much isn’t clear. For now, all ten participants in the tournament will meet in a cibernetico this Friday.
The actual CMLL main event storylines continues to focus on the Indeserable trio of La Sombra, Rush and La Mascara versus everyone. One week after Sombra became double world champion, Rush & Mascara lost their world tag team titles to Negro Casas & Rush cleanly. Rush and Casas are still scheduled for a hair match, but there’s been no suggestion anything definite involving the Indeserable trio is happening soon. CMLL has been pushing a Juicio Final show, but has a variety of midcard and lower feuds (Oro/Metalico & Sugehit/Blanca most notably) which could instead climax on that show.
CMLL has turned up the heat on the Atlantis vs Ultimo Guerrero feud. Atlantis cheated to beat Ultimo Guerrero to win the Leyenda de Azul tournament. Guerrero continues to demand CMLL announce a date for their already signed mask match.
AAA announced lineups for many future tapings. Absolutely nothing of note appears to be happening on any of them; the schedule suggests the rest of TripleMania might be set up on the Tehuacan taping on 07/21.
Mephisto was scheduled for a title defense, but suffered a knee injury a few days prior. His return date is unknown, but they went out of their way to not strip him of the title yet so there’s likely hope he’ll be back for the Universal tournament. (Likewise, still nothing said about Mistico II’s title.)
Cavernario followed up his En Busca de un Idolo win by defeating Black Metal for his mask in a cage of death match two days later.
Asturiano and Pequeno Black Warrior, who’ve been feuding for the last month in a half, will have a mask vs hair match in Arena Puebla as that building’s Anniversary main event.
Los Oficials picked up the tag team titles in IWRG, and Arkangel beat Gallo to win his back the FULL (Chile) belt.
People who kept their titles: Golden Magic, Virus, Titan, Rey Escorpion
Super Crazy, Jinzo, Rocky Lobo (NOAH), Mascara Dorada, Fuego (CMLL) and La Comandante (REINA) are all out in Japan on various tours. Nieto del Santo is also in Japan w/NOAH, though still not having matches.
Hooray Arkangel won so this can be done. I’m sure the Gallo/Arkangel mask match will happen right after the Ultimo Dragon/Arkangel one they were going on about for years.
I don’t want to point this out, because Zeuxis going for a title is fun, but how is the Puerto Rician luchadora challenging for an only Mexican championship? (Zeuxis is really half Mexican so it’s actually fine, but that’s not the way they’ve presented her of late.)
CMLL (TUE) 06/24/2014Arena Coliseo Guadalajara [@acogdl]
1) Infierno & Ráfaga b El Divino & Leo Rudos took 2/3.
2) Pequeño Violencia, Pierrothito, Relampago b Astral, Fantasy, Último Dragoncito Relampago replaced Pequeno Olimpico, Fantasy replaced Meteoro (who was around and in photos.) Rudos took 1/3.
3) Amapola, La Seductora, Princesa Blanca b La Vaquerita, Marcela, Silueta Rudas took 1/3.
4) Cavernario & Titán b Cachorro & Gran Guerrero [seeding battle royal]
5) La Máscara, La Sombra, Rush DQ Euforia, Niebla Roja, Shocker Tecnicos took 1/3 when Shocker fouled Mascara. Rush attacked Shocker after the match.
6) Gran Guerrero & Último Guerrero b Blue Panther & Cachorro [Copa Express, semifinal]
7) Atlantis & Titán b Cavernario & Mr. Niebla [Copa Express, semifinal]
8) Atlantis & Titán DQ Gran Guerrero & Último Guerrero [Copa Express, final] UG fouled Atlantis.
Fouls and rudo victories all over this card. I’m assuming La Mascara had the foul coming.
Black Metal & Gallo beat Barbaro Cavernario & Sadico to win Copa Express last year.
Ludark Shaitan is in the US this weekend for IWA-MS’s Queen of the Deathmatch tournament. That sounds like something she would do very well in; the interview mentions she got in on Necro Butcher’s recommendation.
Psycho Clown, Fenix, Texano Jr. and Pentagon Jr. appeared at AAA Queretaro press conference for Friday’s taping. Psycho wants the ref at TripleMania not to be Tirantes or Maya – he should probably pick someone he trusts rather than let a third evil referee come in. (This would actually be a good spot for someone like Octagon as guest referee, though he doesn’t seem like a guy who’d like getting down and back up to count pinfalls and staying in the background for most of the match. That kind of character though.)
CMLL announced Fuego’s trip to NJPW. It’s his third trip – besides FantasticaMania, he had that one appearance in Mr. Cacao’s promotion – and he talks a little bit about wanting to put on a good performance even against normal ally Mascara Dorada. CMLL explains Dorada’s continued NJPW stint, saying Dorada was originally supposed to come back to Mexico but NJPW really wanted to him to stay for one more tour. I think it’s possible there’s more going on here.
CMLL (MON) 06/30/2014Arena Puebla
1) Black Tiger, Milenium, Paris vs Centauro de Fuego, Rey Apocalipsis, Toro Bill Jr.
2) Pegasso, Starman, Tigre Rojo Jr. vs Arkángel de la Muerte, Nitro, Siki Ozama Jr.
3) Ángel de Oro, Blue Panther, Stigma vs Dragón Rojo Jr., Pólvora, Virus
4) Asturiano vs Pequeño Warrior [mask, hair]
5) La Máscara, Máximo, Super Porky vs Euforia, Pierroth, Último Guerrero
6) Shocker vs Rush
Rush has beaten Shocker in every singles match. Still thinking Asturiano is going to win, but definitely would be sad if he lost. That semimain has little hope.
Atlantis & Ultimo Guerrero have had 20 billed singles matches. Atlantis has won 10, Guerrero has won 8, and two have no known result. Atlantis is 3-1 in this building, the last win coming eleven months ago.
They’re not getting a lot out of Navarro & Solar’s yearly appearance by teaming them with Gran Guerrero and La Mascara. Omar Brunetti is the now former Black Metal. Using a real name (or a real looking name) is actually a good way to stand out. Brunetti was interviewed in Noroeste, saying Apolo Dantes and Satanico praised the eight guys in the cage match, and especially the last two, for their performance in the cage match.
Poster mispells (“SWS”) the prestigious championship Apolo Estrada holds. There’s really not that many people on this show.
IWRG AAA (WED) 07/02/2014Arena Naucalpan
1) Emperador Azteca & Látigo vs Anubis Black & Zurdog
2) Alan Extreme, Diva Salvaje, Imposible vs Oficial 911, Oficial AK47, Oficial Fierro
3) Golden Magic, Hijo De Dos Caras, Súper Nova vs Demon Rocker, Machine Rocker, Soul Rocker
4) Monsther Clown, Murder Clown, Psycho Clown vs Eterno, Pirata Morgan, Texano Jr.
5) La Parka & Myzteziz vs Averno & Black Warrior
AAA posted the top 3 matches last week (though Eterno has since replaced Trauma I.) Tercera could be really good. First 100 kids (with an adult ticket) get in free, which seems unnecssary because this should easily sell out.
CMLL (MON) 06/23/2014Arena Puebla [CincoRadio, Periodico Enfoque, Periodico Enfoque (fotos)]
1) Espíritu Maligno, King Jaguar, Rey Apocalipsis b Black Tiger, Robin, Star Jr. Rey Apocalipsis’ debut. Espiritu bled in the second fall. Tecnicos took 1/3.
2) Asturiano b Pequeño Warrior One fall, less than five minutes. Asturiano submitted Pequeno Warrior. Both agreed to a mask vs hair match next week.
3) Morphosis, Olímpico, Virus b Sagrado, Stigma, Tritón Rudos took 2/3. Stigma was hurt his leg on a dive in the first fall, and Virus went after it in the third for a submission. (Recap end with submission but has tecnicos winning – maybe Stigma wasn’t captain and I have result wrong?)
4) La Máscara, La Sombra, Rush DQ Kráneo, Shocker, Último Guerrero Ultimo Guerrero replaced Negro Casas (still at the beach?), Sombra replaced Marco. Indeseables took 1/3, Shocker fouled Rush.
5) Titán, Valiente, Volador Jr. b Rey Bucanero, Terrible, Vangellys Titan replaced Dorada (still in Japan?) Valiente beat Terrible in falls 2/3 to win the match. Recaps says Volador didn’t appear interested.
Asturiano/Warrior is the building anniversary main event. I still assume Asturiano is going to win, but it’s surprising to have him win the week before the mask match. Valiente/Terrible would be interesting if that’s they way they’re going.
Tonight’s CMLL show has the Arkangel versus Gallo for the FULL Championship. Arkangel won the belt from a former trainee in Chile and normally that means he’s going back to Chile to lose the title at some point. Arkangel lost it back in June January; this has been a six month feud.
The actual main event is Valiente, Fuego, Maximo versus Kraneo, Mr. Aguila and Ripper. Guadalajara has the bigger show, with a four team tag tournament.
CMLL did it’s usual Monday night lineups changes. Ephesto replaces Polvora on Friday. Lots more changes on Sunday (where Polvora is still working) – the lightning match is gone, with many matches switched around, Star Jr. & Guerrero Negro pulled from the card, and Tiger, Puma, Marco and Black Panther all added. Usually there’s an injury or feud reason for that sort of change, but I can’t figure one out there.
CMLL also has a recap of Sunday’s Guadalajara show. Escape order went Esfinge, Demonio Maya, Bobby Zavala, Sadico, Gallo, Rey Cometa (who looked in danger of losing.) After Cavernario submitted him, Black Metal was announced as Omar Brunetti, 24 years old, 8 years a luchador, from Los Mochis, Sinaloa.
Daga, who’s never defending his title, brags about how long his title reign. This is not meant to bring up the first part of the sentence. Still no idea if he’s facing Bengala and Aerostar individually or if they face off or if it’s a threeway (but best guess is a multiman for TripleMania.)
IWRG (SUN) 06/22/2014Arena Naucalpan [The Gladiatores]
1) Atomic Star & Power Bull b Black Niko & Vampiro Metálico II Straight falls.
2) Anubis Black & Zurdog b Alfa & Omega
3) Emperador Azteca, Imposible, Metaleon b Alan Extreme, El Hijo del Diablo, Picudo Jr. Alan Extreme was back on the rudo side to replace Canis Lupus. Tecnicos took 2/3, despite Azteca & Imposible not getting along (they were feuding before Imposible turned tencico and Azteca was hurt.) Rudos turned on Alan after the match.
4) Relámpago & Súper Nova DQ Oficial 911 & Oficial AK47 Rudos took 1/3, 911 fouling Nova while also faking a foul to get the DQ call.
5) Canis Lupus, Fuerza Guerrera, Hijo de Máscara Año 2000 b Hijo De Dos Caras, Máscara Sagrada, Veneno Canis Lupus replaced X-Fly. Rudos took 1/3, Mascara taking Caras’ mask in the third. Those two feuded the entire match. Lupus is noted as attacking Mascara Sagrada’s “recently operated elbow” to set up a submission in the second fall.
I was wondering why Sagrada had disappeared and an elbow injury would explain – but he really hasn’t wrestled a lot at all the last few years and could’ve just retired without no one noticing. Mascara Sagrada losing his mask is a bigger payday than probably IWRG could normally afford, but he’s not in good enough condition to be working for a bigger promotion; if TxT ever came back, that might be a good place for a mask match for him. (Much more likely, Mascara Sagrada will just turn up ten times a year forever.)
Mascara Dorada & Fuego were announced for NJPW’s next tour, from June 28th to July 13th. Fuego did well on the FantasticaMania tour and is back becuase of that. It seems like Dorada has just been in Japan all that time, which is weird, since Dorada wasn’t used on this weekend’s PPV. Sombra appears to be replacing Mascara Dorada tonight in Puebla, but I’m not sure why Dorada was ever booked if he was not going to be back between tours. Shouldn’t CMLL have known that? Dorada should be back after this tour, since the next one if the G1. Dorada and Fuego are on opposite sides for the tecnicos vs tecnicos matches, so they’ll probably be working against each other a lot.
Note XMW wrestlers went 2-1 over AAA wrestlers. This was third 3rd Anniversary show.
CMLL (SUN) 06/22/2014Arena Coliseo Guadalajara [@acogdl] 1) Ángel del Mal & El Yaqui b El Ídolo & Javier Cruz Jr. Rudos took 2/3. 2) Explosivo & William Rock b Évola & Jocker tecnicos took 2/3. 3) Acertijo & Demonio Rojo b El Brillante & Virgo Rudos took 1/3, Demonio Rojo sneakingi n a foul on Brillante. 4) León Blanco, Sky Kid, Smaker b Magnum, Mr. Trueno, Rey Trueno Tencicos took 1/3. 5) Atlantis, La Máscara, Titán b Felino, Mr. Niebla, Rey Bucanero Tecnicos took 2/3. Mr. Niebla replaced Negro Casas (who was at the beach) 6) Black Metal L Gallo, Cavernario, Rey Cometa, Boby Zavala, Sádico, Esfinge, Demonio Maya [cage, hair, mask] Black Metal lost his mask to Cavernario. No name announced.
Big weekend for Cavernario. He won En Busca de un Idolo, and then won a mask. It was Metal who came with Cavernario for their Mexico City debuts, a year ago Monday. Cavernario looked good, Metal struggled, and their careers have gone in different directions since before crossing paths one more time here. I’m surprised Black Metal lost his mask when he was still trying to get into the main roster; maybe he’s getting a new character? Maybe plans changed.
CMLL (SUN) 06/22/2014Arena Coliseo [CMLL] 1) Magnus & Metatrón b Camorra & Inquisidor Tecnicos took 1/3. 2) Angelito, Bam Bam, Eléctrico b Mercurio, Pequeño Nitro, Pequeño Olímpico Tecnicos took 2/3, Bam Bam dropping Pequeno Nitro on his head for the win. Nitro was strechered out after the piledriver. 3) Metálico, Raziel, Virus b Dragon Lee, Fuego, Oro Jr. Dragon Lee replaced Pegasso. Rudos took 1/3, Metalico focusing on Oro and taking his mask after teh match. 4) Blue Panther b Ephesto [lightning] Said to be excellent technical match. Panther won in 9 minutes. 5) Kamaitachi, Puma, Shigeo Okumura b Delta, Guerrero Maya Jr., Stuka Jr. Rudos took 1/3, Kamaitachi beating Delta after an Okumura distraction. 6) Dragón Rojo Jr., Pólvora, Rey Escorpión b Máximo, Super Porky, Volador Jr. Rojo snuck in a foul on Volador.
Terra feed never worked during the show. There was an explanation of technical problems. I asked if they would reair the show at some later date – they said they’d ask. It would’ve been a really frustrating evening if it was a more interesting card and if I wasn’t already watching World Cup anyway.
Semimain seems like a sure set up to a Arena Coliseo Tag Team Championship match. Okumura seems like the only one interested in challenging for those. Main event might go somewhere too, but seems less likely.
06/22 NOAH: Kenou [O] & Hajime Ohara b Rocky Lobo & Jinzo [X] – debut match, not part of the tournament (but they probably would win if they were meant to be a threat.) I hope Lobo & Jinzo get something out of the experience. I wouldn’t have a lot of hope for them to get a lot in the win column.
CMLL (SUN) 06/29/2014Arena Coliseo
1) Bengala & Leono vs Akuma & Espanto Jr.
2) Flyer, Sensei, Star Jr. vs Artillero, Guerrero Negro Jr., Hooligan
3) Oro Jr., Rey Cometa, Tritón vs Boby Zavala, Metálico, Skándalo
4) Máximo vs Felino [lightning]
5) Ángel de Oro, Delta, Guerrero Maya Jr. vs Kamaitachi, Misterioso Jr., Okumura
6) Stuka Jr., Titán, Volador Jr. vs Dragón Rojo Jr., Pólvora, Rey Escorpión
Volador & Dragon do continue, as does the tag feud and Oro/Metalico. Maybe a couple big Sundays coming up. (Looking forward to Oro vs Metalico hilariously taking place on 08/17!)
CMLL (SUN) 06/29/2014Arena Coliseo Guadalajara
1) Marvel vs Relampago Azul
2) Índigo & William Rock vs Furia Nazi & Satara
3) El Brillante vs Demonio Rojo
4) Exterminador, Leo, León Blanco vs Espectrum, Infierno, Sádico
5) Solar I & Valiente vs Negro Casas & Negro Navarro
6) Cavernario & Mr. Niebla vs Cachorro & La Máscara
Navarro & Solar visit again. (Not a TV show.) Not sure why Cachorro is teaming with Mascara, but maybe Mascara will be in a good mood.
AAA TV (SAT) 07/05/2014 Hard Rock Hotel, Vallarta, Nayarit
1) Jennifer Blake, La Jarochita, Mascarita Sagrada, Pimpinela Escarlata vs Mamba, Mini Abismo Negro, Sexy Star, Taya Valkyrie
2) Angélico, Australian Suicide, Fénix vs El Apache, Pentagón Jr., Súper Fly
3) Monsther Clown, Murder Clown, Psycho Clown vs Hijo del Fantasma, Silver King, Texano Jr.
4) Cibernético & Myzteziz vs Averno & Chessman
Lineup via twitter.
Air date: 07/19
If you have been waiting for a chance to see Consejo vs Psycho Circus, you are in luck! Holding pattern continues, as mostly expected. December’s vacation show was better than expected, hope the same here. Redirect more story movement in Tehucan on the 21st.
AAA TV (FRI) 06/20/2014Gimnasio Miguel Hidalgo, Puebla, Puebla [AAA] 1) Faby Apache, Ludxor, Venum b El Apache, Mamba, Sexy Star Faby beat Sexy Star with a Tiger suplex. 2) Aerostar, Alebrije, Niño Hamburguesa b Carta Brava Jr., Fresero Jr., Súper Fly La Sociedad ran in after the match (on THIS tecnico trio) so Texano could yell at the crowd. Psycho Clown ran them off. 3) Daga, Eterno, Steve Pain b Australian Suicide, Drago, Joe Lider Daga submitted Suicide with a Mata Leon after Pentagon Jr. got involved. 4) Angélico, Electroshock, Fénix b Hijo del Fantasma, Máscara Año 2000 Jr., Pentagón Jr. Fenix beat Pentagon Jr. after Australian Suicide 5) Cibernético, Myzteziz, Psycho Clown b Averno, el Hijo del Perro Aguayo, Zorro Myzteziz had Averno in La Mistica but all the rudos ran in before for the DQ before Averno submitted. Texano accepted the hair versus mask challenge for TripleMania. Tecnicos ran off the rudos to end the show.
Air Date: 06/28 – top 3 or 4 will air, opener’s surely airing only on YouTube.
Seemed pretty likely AAA was actually doing the hair/mask match after the Verano de Escandalo promos, and that looks to be the semimain on the big show. The only way Psycho Clown is losing that is if AAA believes the gimmick is holding the wrestler back, and I doubt they believe that’s the situation. It’s going to be a weird situation for the world champion to lose a singles match on the biggest show of the year and still be the world’s champion, but it looks like the decision was made long ago to sacrifice the value of that title to build up the apuesta match. (That also means we’re likely to see this match once more before the end of the year.)
Pentagon and Australian Suicide are also feuding as if they’re having a TripleMania mask match, but that one seems unlikely as is – they’re not important enough to have a singles match, and they’re not going to do two straight ones of those. Rob brought up the idea of doing a cage match with them and the rest of the assorted midcarders and that’s probably the best bet. It’s also possible AAA just does one apuesta match and not much else, like the rest of the big shows of late.