CMLL (MON) 04/07/2014 Arena Puebla [El Popular, Periodico Enfoque]
1) Artillero, Guerrero Espacial, Súper Comando b Meyer, Sensei, Tigre Rojo
2) Asturiano, Black Tiger, Starman DQ Blue Center, Canelo Casas, Espíritu Maligno
Straight falls, Espiritu attacking Asturiano after being eliminated.
3) Delta, Guerrero Maya Jr., Rey Cometa b Misterioso Jr., Shigeo Okumura, Siki Ozama Jr.
listed as Skandalo’s return, but pictures show Siki Osama in the match. One recap says Misterioso was in the match, the other has Kamaitachi. Tecnicos took 2/3.
4) Morphosis, Mr. Águila, Ripper b Averno, Ephesto, Mephisto
Avernos worked as tecnicos. Invasors took 1/3, Mr. Aguila beating Mephisto and challenging him to a title match.
5) Volador Jr. b Negro Casas [NWA WELTER]
Seconds were Canelo Casas and Delta. Volador is champion. Volador won the first with a front cracker. Casas took the second with a casita. Volador won the third with a front cracker and back cracker. Third defense. Volador challenged Casas to a hair match, and Casas accepted.
I wouldn’t hold my breath for that hair match. That singles match has been good the last couple times, though I’d expect it’s probably the same exact singles match from one of those previous times. Weird to do all the Invasors versus Rudos angles to set up Mr. Aguila versus Mephisto. Is Skandalo’s ever coming back?
Tonight’s CMLL show is a busy one, and also happens to be at Fan Appreciation prices. (I didn’t notice the discounts until I saw that preview and it didn’t seem like they were promoting that on Sunday; maybe I missed it, or maybe everyone missed it and it won’t mean much?) The main event is Mistico defending his CMLL World Welterweight Championship against Averno. It’s probably going to end up with Mistico getting back on the winning foot after the Estetas lost the trios titles, but Averno has a history of beating this Mistico in title matches.
Tonight’s show also has the women’s cibernetico to determine a challenger for Syuri and her WNC/REINA International championship. Dark Angel would be an interesting winner, but she’s worked for other Japanese promotions and there may be political reasons she can’t actually challenge for this title. Marcela would make sense if they were looking to combine belts, but no one in Mexico is ever looking to do that, and they’re not much better about that in Japan. My guess is still Amapola as the most likely challenger, but either of the Princesas might have a chance.
Tonight is also the second half of week 1 of this year’s En Busca de un Idolo. Tonight’s two matches are Cavernario (who may have the Barbaro name back in this tournament – or no one can keep track of it) versus Hechicero and Guerrero Negro Jr. versus Super Halcon Jr. Many have great expectations of Hechicero in this tournament, and we’ll find out more about how he’ll do tonight. The decision is important, but the judging is more so. Hechicero has a style which would seem to appeal to Tirantes. If the cranky referee gives him 7s and 8s while belittling all the kids with 2s and 3s, that’s going to add up pretty well for him. The fan voting is also said to open tonight, probably sometime after the matches conclude.
CMLL’s show starts at 7:30 pm CT (we’re all on the same time! unless you’re in a different timezone). The En Busca de un Idolo matches figure to take place a bit after 8:30, but it’s worth looking around Terra earlier in case they post the feed early. Terra actually doesn’t list the show airing at this point, but they didn’t list the cibernetico until late in the day so it’ll probably still work out. I don’t think I’ll be around during the show, but I’ll attempt to record them just the same.
DTU says Shane Strickland will be on their May shows. It turns out Shane Strickland is the current CZW TV champion (so both ChilangaMask and DTU are bringing in CZW guys, who will hopefully be more over there than they were in certain matches this weekend.)
Lady Maravilla defeated Lady Flammer in the best match of the year in LLF. Estrella Explosiva earned a title shot in the main event Royal Rumble.
LuchaWorld has this week’s PosterMania.
SuperLuchas 522 has WrestleMania coverage.
Luchadors in Ensenada had their license renewal this weekend. The commission said that anyone who wanted to wrestle in Ensenada had to get licensed, even if they were licensed something else. (That would seem to fix the problem of luchadors getting licenses in places which just sort of give them away.)
Astral wants to go after Pierrothito and Pequeno Olimpico’s mask next.
Cachorro and Dragon Lee were happy with their opening matches (and judge’s comments.)
Cuervo wants the mixed tag titles and tells Pentagon & Sexy Star to stay out of it.
Video of Cien Caras being honored at the Villanos lucha libre Hall of Fame.
IWRG (SUN) 04/13/2014 Arena Naucalpan
1) Black Niko, Dragon Blanco, Rey Dragon vs Atomic Star, Electro Boy, Ultimo Caballero
2) Payaso De Plata & Payaso Extreme vs Anubis Black & Araña de Plata
3) Alan Extreme, Dragón Celestial, Fulgor I, Imposible, Látigo, Sky Ángel vs Andy Boy, Ciclon Black, Guerreor Mixtico, Haziel, Hip Hop Man, Orión [Copa High Power]
4) Dr. Cerebro, Toscano, Veneno vs Apolo Estrada Jr., El Hijo del Diablo, Tony Casanova
5) Black Terry, Hijo De Dos Caras, Súper Nova vs Eterno, Hijo de Máscara Año 2000, Tony Rivera
Lots of rookies, but no tumbling and no Blue Monsther, so I guess this is a real show (with a lot of people making their ‘debuts’.) Tony Rivera may have lost his hair but the war goes on – at least long enough for Hip Hop Man to defect back to Naucalpan, I guess.
CMLL (MON) 04/14/2014 Arena Puebla
1) Águila Egipcia, Milenium, Sensei vs Espiritu Negro, King Jaguar, Siki Ozama Jr.
2) Asturiano, Hombre Bala Jr., Súper Halcón Jr. vs Blue Center, Espíritu Maligno, Hooligan
3) La Máscara, Stigma, Stuka Jr. vs Dragón Rojo Jr., Pólvora, Rey Escorpión
4) Atlantis, La Sombra, Rush vs Rey Bucanero, Terrible, Vangellys
5) Mephisto vs Mr. Águila [MEX LH]
Mephisto is champion. Sixth defense.
CMLL also had Ripper and Morphosis also to chose from this week if they they were just looking for a body for Mephisto to beat. They went for Mr. Aguila because they see him as the biggest star, and being a star wins out over every other reason I guess.
CMLL Singles Match Leaders in 2014 (so far)
11 Volador Jr.
5 Atlantis, La Sombra, Negro Casas, Stuka Jr.
I would not have guessed so many Mephisto matches.
CHILANGA MASK (SUN) 04/27/2014 Arena Lopez Mateos
1) Dorado Jr. vs Extasis, Ironia, Atomik Star, Electro Boy, Dragón Celestial, Psico Kid, Maverick, Karma
2) ? & Rey Krimen vs Sádico & Tornado (DF) and Arez & Demus 3:16 and Astro Rey Jr. & Magnus
3) Estrella Explosiva vs Chik Tormenta, Silueta, Zeuxis, Cristal, Reina Isis
4) Arkángel de la Muerte vs Rocky Santana
5) Herodes Jr. & Mr. Niebla vs Trauma I & Trauma II
6) Sensei vs Yakuza
7) Dave Crist & Jake Crist vs Belial & Impulso and Fulgor I & Fulgor II
8) El Dandy vs Satánico
Dandy’s retirement match
9) Black Terry vs Aero Boy
Final lineup for this show, though the card order is always subject to change. Isis has had more matches in ChilangaMask then anywhere else.