Maria del Angel passed away yesterday. She suffered a stroke on Sunday, while at a show in Arena Jalisco in Guadalajara where she was to be honored. Maria del Angel, usually a ruda, was part of the large wave of luchadoras in the 80s when the ban on women’s wrestling in Mexico City was lifted. Maria doesn’t appear to be one of the bigger stars of that group of women – I can’t find an apuesta match for her, she got a few title matches but never won them – but the women who broke that barrier were treated as stars for a time. Maria worked in both UWA and CMLL; I believe the Mexican luchadors for a while were booked through the leader of the women’s group, instead of directly by the promotions (similar to what was done in the US), so it was whoever the group of women were working with that moment. Maria was married to Bestia Salvaje, who passed away in 2008.
CMLL (MON) 03/24/2014 Arena Puebla [Porra Fresa]
1) Black Tiger, Star Jr., Tigre Rojo b Espiritu Negro, King Jaguar, Siki Ozama Jr.
2) Astral, Asturiano, Eléctrico DQ Blue Center, Espíritu Maligno, Saurón
Straight falls, Espiritu fouling Asturiano. Apuesta match challenges followed.
3) Stuka Jr. b Virus [lightning]
Total mat match, except Stuka won with the splash.
4) Felino, Puma, Tiger b Black Panther, Blue Panther, Cachorro
double armbar on Panther to win it.
5) Kráneo, Morphosis, Ripper b Euforia, Gran Guerrero, Niebla Roja
Invasors attacked the Guerrero and ripped their masks, then took falls 1/3 to win clean.
6) Volador Jr. b Mephisto
Mephisto and the Invasors passed each in the aisle and had words. Two quick falls, a long third fall, then the Invasors came back out, distracted Mephisto and set up a Volador win. Invasors attacked Mephisto (and Volador in some reports), with the Guerreros running out of the save.
The Invasors helping Volador get a win makes no sense if you think about it for two seconds. CMLL explains this Invasor aggression by saying “it appears the Invasors are regrouping to gain ground.” They have no ground to lose, guess they might as well as trying gain some. There’s a lack of actual regrouping, as you’ll see in the lineup. I like also how that CMLL written article comes up with a quote where Niebla Roja says he has no idea why this feud is happening. That’s compelling.
CMLL (TUE) 03/25/2014 Arena México [CMLL]
1) Apocalipsis & Inquisidor b Bengala & Leono
2) Hombre Bala Jr., Molotov, Sensei b Artillero, Espanto Jr., Súper Comando
3) Pegasso, Stigma, Stuka Jr. b Kamaitachi, Sangre Azteca, Virus
Stuka beat Virus (again)
4) Cachorro, Cavernario, Dragon Lee, Guerrero Negro Jr., Hechicero, Soberano Jr., Star Jr., Súper Halcón Jr. b Black Panther, Canelo Casas, El Rebelde, Espiritu Negro, Flyer, Herodes Jr., Metálico, Oro Jr. [cibernetico]
Busca de un Idolo determination match. Winning 8 moved onto the tournament, starting next month.
5) Averno, Ephesto, Tiger b Máximo, Mistico, Super Porky
Rudos took 1/3, Averno pulling Mistico’s mask for the win. Averno wants a title shot against Mistico.
Guessed right on Mistico/Averno! Possibly better than Mephisto/Mascara.
Terra kicked off it’s second year of coverage of this En Busca de un Idolo tournament by airing the qualifying cibernetico. This seems like a late decision; the announce on Terra’s site list it at just before 5pm CT. I didn’t see that article until 11ish, so no recording here. If only I had access to a real time method of communication which would’ve informed me of such events. (I’ve probably returned from self-imposed exile by the time you read this.) They’re running a press conference today to introduce everyone – I don’t expect much news but will update if needed.
The eight for the tournament seem good enough, if not exactly what I wanted. Hechicero made it, so fun times ahead. Having both Cavernario & Soberano sets up an invalidation of Gran Alterantiva, but they haven’t done much with that as it is. I think this is a big deal for Star Jr., who doesn’t seem set up to get a lot of chances in CMLL but has a great breakout chance in this tournament. I really don’t want to see Guerrero Negro Jr. doing pointless Canadian Destroyers, but I guess they won’t be in the openers now. CMLL may think they’re helping Dragon Lee by putting him in this tournament, but it probably won’t end well for him.
CMLL (TUE) 03/25/2014 Arena Coliseo Guadalajara
1) Esfinge b Rey Trueno
2) Demus 3:16, Pequeño Violencia, Pierrothito b Astral, Eléctrico, Último Dragoncito
Rudos took 2/3.
3) Gallo, Leo, Starman DQ Camorra, Sádico, Shigeo Okumura
Tecnicos took 2/3. Camorra beat Leo with a foul in the first, got caught doing the same in the third.
4) Blue Panther, Sagrado, Valiente DQ El Cuatrero, Sansón, Universo 2000
Debuts in this build for Cuatereo and Sanson. Tecnicos took 2/3. Cien Caras accompanied his sons, and ran in to attack Blue Panther in the third fall.
5) Felino, Mr. Niebla, Negro Casas b Atlantis, La Sombra, Volador Jr.
Rudos won in straight falls when Sombra & Volador didn’t get along. Usual mask vs hair challenges.
6) Rush DQ Shocker
Rush took 1/3, the last when Shocker was DQed for excessive violence.
Those top four finishes were DQ, DQ, teammates attacking each other, DQ. All the goofiness had some reason to exist (except for the Cien Caras one), but they collided badly on this show.
WMC has a cage match on 04/27 with seven guys I’ve heard of and someone named “Skratch” where the loser will lose his mask. What ever will happen?
Fuego en el Ring interviews Estela Molina.
Sunday’s Arena Coliseo opener has now been turned into a trios match, with Aereo & Pequeno Warrior added.
CMLL (MON) 03/31/2014 Arena Puebla
1) Paris, Robin, Tigre Rojo Jr. vs Ares, Guerrero Espacial, Hechicero
2) Asturiano, Eléctrico, Último Dragoncito vs Blue Center, Espíritu Maligno, Pierrothito
3) Stigma vs Boby Zavala [lightning]
4) Averno, Euforia, Gran Guerrero, Mephisto, Niebla Roja vs Kráneo, Morphosis, Mr. Águila, Olímpico, Ripper [cibernetico]
5) La Sombra & Volador Jr. vs Mr. Niebla & Negro Casas
Free win for Niebla & Casas! Olimpico versus Gran Guerrero is a battle for the ages, but the Invasors seem outgunned here. Stigma vs Zavala should be fun, and it looks like Asturiano versus Espiritu Maligno is an actual feud. HECHICERO.
CMLL (TUE) 04/01/2014 Arena México
1) Bengala & Flyer vs Akuma & Ramstein
2) Acero, Astral, Pequeño Halcón vs Demus 3:16, Mercurio, Pequeño Olímpico
3) Metálico, Oro Jr., Súper Halcón Jr. vs Cancerbero, Raziel, Virus
4) Pegasso vs Hechicero [lightning]
5) Delta, Guerrero Maya Jr., Stuka Jr. vs Boby Zavala, Misterioso Jr., Pólvora
6) La Sombra, Mistico, Tritón vs Averno, Mephisto, Puma
Another good looking show. Main event should be interesting. Hechicero prepares for two months of lightning mach with one which won’t air. Metalico didn’t make the tournament but gets a rare tercera.
CMLL (TUE) 04/01/2014 Arena Coliseo Guadalajara
1) El Divino vs Évola
2) Black Metal, Esfinge, Metatrón vs Canelo Casas, Disturbio, Hijo del Signo
3) Dark Angel, Estrellita, Silueta vs La Comandante, Tiffany, Zeuxis
4) Leo vs Camorra [hair]
5) Atlantis, Diamante Azul, Titán vs Euforia, Gran Guerrero, Último Guerrero and Black Panther, Blue Panther, Cachorro and Cuatrero, Sanson, Universo 2000
Cuatrero & Sanson stick around here. Fuego en el Ring had a brief interview with them, where they mention they’re being taught mostly by Universo 2000. They are doing the Leo/Camorra hair match after all. It seems like doom for Camorra, but Leo is 0-1 in hair matches. Comandante is back from Japan.