taped 2013-11-19 @ Arena Coliseo Guadalajara Dark Angel, Goya Kong, Silueta vs La Comandante, Princesa Blanca, Tiffany: a better than usual women’s match. Comandante is a better luchadora than some of the ones who seem to work regularly; she was fun against Silueta here. Goya did more than her usual comedy (even though she was way over the moment she got in the ring.) Everything seemed to go the way it was supposed to and the finish was good. Not an extraordinary match but no problems.
taped 2013-11-24 @ Arena Mexico Felino, Mr. Niebla, Negro Casas vs Diamante Azul, Sagrado, Thunder: Typical CMLL filler match to have a match. I don’t think there’s ever a point to Thunder, but I’m not sure why you still use him when he’s not getting better and he’s losing to the likes of Felino clean. That’s not how you’d use a star in the making, and there’s no point in having Thunder be just a guy when he’s not any good.
Blue Panther, Máscara Dorada, Titán vs Averno, Ephesto, Mephisto: felt like it dragged for the first half, and shifted up many gears after the comeback. That part was exciting and there were moments earlier (like the powerbomb) on the outside which built to Averno/titan well, but it didn’t feel like a complete match in itself. Title match should be a lot of fun. Titan’s popularity – as a pure técnico in 2013 CMLL – is amazing.
I have no idea how many parts this is going to be. Lots and lots of parts, but six matches at a time.
Trauma I & Trauma II vs Diluvio Negro I & Silver Star (02-03 Monterrey) – so many rope breaks. Standard technical Traumas match, which includes a lot of holds being put on, held on for about 10 seconds, then the person putting on the hold lets go of it or the other guy gets the ropes. It’s a great collection of interesting holds, but I’m looking for (maybe preoccupied by this point) getting series of moves and that’s not what this match is about at all. It’s also slower than usual. Match was well executed – until they got to the finish and it one of the Monterrey guys fell down trying to apply a reinera. Only worth watching if you’re looking for the specific style.
Negro Casas vs Valiente for the NWA World Welterweight Championship (02-04 Puebla) – EXCELLENT. A superb back and forth title match in a variety of styles; they did mat wrestling early before picking up to the bigger moves late, and everything looked good and looked like a battle. Both guys were pulling out ideas they don’t normally use. The second fall finish was so good, Valiente doing a variation of the Dorada corner spin escape only for Negro to immediately connect on the dropkick and casita – it was flashy but the timing and smoothness was there as well. This match definitely still used the usual CMLL singles match template – there was a dive followed by a cavernaria – but getting far more out of it than usual. That clichéd spot was followed by a superb back and forth battle to set up a superplex, with much more to it than the usual climb up the ropes and get hit bit. There’s one bad slip right before the end, but they use it to make the end work better. Negro Casas had an outstanding run with this title.
Dragón Rojo Jr. vs Titán for the CMLL World Middleweight Championship (02-05 Guadalajara) – So weird to see Thin Dragon Rojo. So weird to have Dragon Rojo on a list of matches to go back and rewatch. This match shouldn’t have been on the list – it’s completely unwatchable because of a giant CMLL graphic which covers up the screen during many of the big spots in the match. It’s random and annoying. There’s probably a very good version of this match in CMLL’s video vault, and it’s possibly Dragon Rojo’s best match of the year, but you should skip this version of it.
Centvrión, Dinamic Black, Golden Magic vs Apolo Estrada Jr., Canis Lupus, Eita (02-14 IWRG) – Turned out to be just a normal midcard trios match, which was fine for the situation but jarring personally because of it following some other crazy matches – and then, in the end, Apolo Estrada takes a Golden Magic 450 kneedrop to the face and is knocked out in a ugly way. Match is fine but you don’t want to see that.
Cerebro Negro vs Carta Brava Jr. for the World Wrestling Stars Welterweight Championship (02-14 IWRG) – Very good title match just missing something to make it stick out among all the other matches this year. Cerebro and Carta Brava were rudos at this point but both worked essentially a straight técnico title match and it was all solidly done. Nice surprise finish and nice tease ending with the knee submission prior to that. Both guys are good and were good here and I’ve got nothing bad to say about it, but I’m also missing anything to write about it here.
Chico Che, Freelance, Hijo del Pantera vs Apolo Estrada Jr., Avisman, Eita (02-17 IWRG) – GREAT. Fun IWRG trios with a lot of good matchups and parts of dives we could actually see. (This is no-panning AYM.) There was a point where a blur ran across the ring and apparently did a tope con giro into the crowd, and before I could wonder how far Freelance had landed, I noticed Freelance was still in the ring – it was Hijo del Pantera being suicidal. I hope Hijo del Pantera makes some video in his return to Mexico in 2014 because he looked really good in the little stuff I’ve see of him in Japan and this is probably my favorite match he’s been involved in Mexico.
AAA TV (FRI) 01/17/2014Arena Naucalpan
1) Aerostar, Ludxor, Súper Fly, Venum vs Carta Brava Jr., El Apache, Fresero Jr., Mamba
2) Faby Apache, Jennifer Blake, La Jarochita vs La Magnifica, Mary Apache, Sexy Star
3) Crazy Boy, Joe Lider, Niño Hamburguesa vs ?, Machine Rocker, Soul Rocker
4) Monsther Clown, Murder Clown, Psycho Clown vs Dark Cuervo, Dark Scoria, Dark Spíritu
5) Cibernético, El Mesías, Fénix vs Daga, el Hijo del Perro Aguayo, Texano Jr.
Air Date: 01/25 and 02/01 – almost everything will air on Televisa baring a skip week, but maybe a little longer on UTDN.
Super Fly! Jarochita! Magnifica! It’s your off period all stars! Nothing advances in AAA until February and maybe not even then, so hopefully there’s good matches. First match might be, and other matches look good as well. Crowd should be excited for that main event.
Fourth match may be picking up on the trios title feud pushed off by Cuervo & Ozz’s trip to Japan. Cuervo and Faby Apache on the same card mean they’ll probably do something. Mystery guy in the third match should be a new Rocker. Second match should be a prelude to the inevitable Faby Apache/Sexy Star match.
IWRG (WED) 12/25/2013Arena Naucalpan [Estrellas del Ring,
1) Araña de Plata, Atomic Star, Electro Boy b Látigo, Seiya, Sky Ángel Latigo replaced Emperador Azteca.
2) Dr. Cerebro, Golden Magic, Saruman b Dowki, Imposible, Picudo Jr. Saruman is back as a tecnico.
3) Heavy Metal b Fuerza Guerrera, Black Terry, Negro Navarro [#1 Contenders, Rock y Lucha CHAMP] Metal beat Negro Navarro to get the title shot.
4) Pirata Morgan, Trauma I, Trauma II b Alan Extreme, Toscano, Veneno Traumas want another shot at the tag titles.
5) Heavy Metal b Villano IV [Rock y Lucha CHAMP] Seconds were Latigo (Villano IV) and Veneno (Metal). Metal took 2/3 to win the title. Villano IV loses on his first defense and challenged Metal to a hair vs mask match. Metal agreed.
Hooray for Heavy Metal for winning his own promotion’s title (without his promotion running a show?) Matches 4 & 5 have turned up on LAS.
Tonight’s CMLL show has the second block of the Leyenda de Plata. This week’s field, Blue Panther, Valiente, Maximo, Guerrero Maya, Fuego, Pegasso, Negro Casas, Rey Escorpion, Polvora, Puma, Mephisto and Reaper. Titan winning opens up the entire field as possibilities (though Titan/Fuego or Titan/Maximo may be stretching.) Blue Panther & Negro Casas and Maximo & Rey Escorpion are ongoing issues which may cancel each other out. Maybe Mephisto or Reaper?
AAA announced their early 2014 TV schedule
01/17: Arena Naucalpan
01/30: Gimnasio Agustin Millan, Toluca
02/09: Centro Civico de Ecatepec
Back to every other week for tapings, which would leave the alternate weekends for AAA US taping if that’s how they’re doing them – and no one knows, so this is the idlest of idle speculation.
CMLL (SUN) 12/29/2013Arena Coliseo Guadalajara
1) Explosivo vs El Yaqui
2) Martin Escobedo & Tony Escobedo vs Ángel del Mal & Relampago Azul
3) Black Panther & Virgo vs Mr. Trueno & Rey Trueno
4) Tritón vs Demonio Maya
5) Máscara Dorada & Titán vs Averno & Mephisto and Blue Panther & Súper Popular and Mr. Águila & Sangre Azteca [Copa Caja Popular Atemajac]
Black Panther is one of the two debuting sons of Blue Panther. (It’s also a name Panther’s nephew Black Warrior used for a time.) I like Super Popular’s odds of winning the tournament being put on by his sponsor.
CMLL (MON) 12/30/2013Arena Puebla
1) Águila Egipcia & Black Tiger vs Ares & Siki Ozama Jr.
2) Milenium & Tigre Rojo vs Canelo Casas & Disturbio
3) Goya Kong, Lady Afrodita, Silueta vs Dalys, La Seductora, Tiffany
4) Guerrero Maya Jr., La Máscara, Máximo vs Kráneo, Olímpico, Reaper
5) Stigma vs Camorra [mask]
6) Atlantis, Valiente, Volador Jr. vs Averno, Mr. Niebla, Negro Casas
Camorra hasn’t worked in Arena Mexico since 11/17, when this feud moved to Puebla permanently. Stigma’s still wrestling a regular schedule and this is his arena. (Literally.) Stigma’s something like a 1:5000 favorite to win this but Camorra still gets his chance to go out with a memorable match.
CMLL (WED) 01/01/2014Arena Mexico
1) Acero & Aéreo vs Mercurio & Pequeño Olímpico
2) Pegasso, Sagrado, Sensei vs Puma, Raziel, Sangre Azteca
3) Hombre Bala Jr. vs Súper Halcón Jr., Dragon Lee, Oro Jr., Stigma, Robin, Guerrero Negro Jr., Canelo Casas, Black Panther, Hijo del Signo, Cachorro, Herodes Jr. [Copa Junior]
4) La Máscara, Máximo, Valiente vs Felino, Mr. Niebla, Negro Casas
5) Mephisto vs Atlantis [MEX LH] Mephisto is champion. Third defense.
Previous Copa Jr. winners 1996: Emilio Charles Jr (over a young Hector Garza)
2004: Shocker (over Dr. Wagner Jr.)
2005: Dos Caras Jr. (over Hector Garza)
2010: Dragon Rojo Jr. (over Averno)
2012: La Sombra (over Tama Tonga)
This is a much different field. Emilio, Shocker, and Sombra were top stars winning the tournament and Dos Caras and Dragon Rojo wins were attempts to establish them as top guys. This year’s feels more like a Sangre Nueva lineup, especially since it’s a Tuesday show, and they’re even missing some Laguna guys (Soberano, Espanto) who are on break. Dragon Lee, the younger brother of Rush & Mistico II, debuted at the last bodybuilding content and Panther & Cachorro accompanied their father to his anniversary ceremony. (They’re rudos here, tecnicos on Sunday.) Bala or Halcon should win this, they’re ahead of everyone else.
Atlantis versus Mephisto sure comes off as an insta-feud just to have something for 01/01. Wonder what becomes an insta-feud so they have something for Dia de Reyes? Or maybe Copa Jr. is a multiweek event?
CMLL (WED) 01/01/2014Arena Coliseo Guadalajara
1) El Divino & Metatrón vs Évola & Sádico
2) Dark Angel, Goya Kong, Silueta vs Amapola, Princesa Sugheit, Zeuxis
3) Javier Cruz Jr., Leo, Tritón vs Acertijo, Arkángel de la Muerte, Disturbio
4) Blue Panther, Super Porky, Titán vs Averno, Pólvora, Terrible
5) Volador Jr. vs Rey Bucanero
Quick feud here too. If CMLL’s usual pattern for TV keeps up, that tercera will air on 52MX and maybe Leo won’t be as bad this time.