CMLL (FRI) 03/01/2013Arena Mexico [CMLL]
1) Hombre Bala Jr. & Super Halcón Jr. b Bobby Zavala & Disturbio
2) Dalis la Caribeña, Estrellita, Silueta DCOR Amapola, Tiffany, Zeuxis Tecnicas took the first, rudas took the first (Zeuxis gave Dalys a Spanish Fly), and both teams were counted out brawling in the third.
3) Averno & La Máscara b Felino & Hijo del Fantasma [natl pi, eightfinal] battle royal determined seeding.
4) La Sombra & Volador Jr. b Guerrero Maya Jr. & Negro Casas [natl pi, eightfinal] possibly the shortest match in the history of the tournament.
5) Mr. Niebla & Shocker b Kráneo & Marco Corleone [natl pi, eightfinal] Marco flattened Kraneo (originally announced as Olimpico) with the Aereo Italiano by mistake, causing the loss.
6) Máscara Dorada & Mephisto b Máximo & Mr. Águila [natl pi, eightfinal] Dorada & Mephisto, who were a team then split off to Averno & Mascara, then put back together, wore split masks for these matches.
7) La Sombra & Volador Jr. b Averno & La Máscara [natl pi, quarterfinal]
8) Mr. Niebla & Shocker b Máscara Dorada & Mephisto [natl pi, quarterfinal]
9) La Sombra & Volador Jr. b Mr. Niebla & Shocker [natl pi, semifinal] Shocker betrayed Mr. Niebla, leading to their loss.
10) Atlantis, Mistico, Rush b Euforia, Niebla Roja, Último Guerrero Mistico brought back his springboard shooting star press to the floor. Atlantis pulled UG’s mask for the win. Both talked about doing mask vs mask match.
Double countout finish in the woman’s seemed to be a tease, or at least an announce prompt, of the possibility of both Amapola and Estrellita losing their hair. Blue Panther & Negro Casas did that one year ago on a double pin finish.
Televisa/Galavision will air the tournament in full, while Fox Sports has the main event and the woman’s match. It’ll be the same way next week too, so there’s no telling (and possibly no decision on) which apuesta match will air when until they happen.
Tickets for Homenaje a Dos Leyendas, including Ticketmaster fees, run from 821 MP ($64 USD) down to 195 MP ($15.71). The most expensive ticket is about the same as Rey de Reyes once you take out the fees, but the least expensive tickets are about twice as much. Ticketmaster doesn’t have prices for the cheapest possible locations in Arena Mexico, but it’s not clear if those areas are open for sale.
IWRG (THU) 03/07/2013Arena Naucalpan
1) Galaxy vs Fulgore
2) Ángel Del Amor & Mr. Leo vs Alan Extreme & Imposible
3) Chico Che, Freelance, Saruman vs Black Terry, Eita, Tomahawk
4) Centvrión, Dinamic Black, Golden Magic vs Argenis, Drago, Fenix (AAA)
5) Monster Clown, Murder Clown, Psycho Clown vs Cien Caras Jr., Hijo de Máscara Año 2000, X-Fly
Semimain could be a lot of fun. Fenix and Drago appear to be a tag team, or at least have been booked out like one a lot of late. Tercera looks good too.
CMLL (FRI) 03/08/2013Arena Mexico
1) Astral & Fantasy vs Demus 3:16 & Pierrothito
2) Fuego, Rey Cometa, Stuka Jr. vs Namajague, Shigeo Okumura, Virus
3) Atlantis & Último Guerrero vs Rush & Terrible and Diamante Azul & Euforia and Ángel de Oro & Ephesto and Pólvora & Valiente and Dragón Rojo Jr. & Niebla Roja and Blue Panther & Rey Escorpión and Delta & Tiger [natl pi, semifinal]
4) La Sombra, Máscara Dorada, Mistico vs Averno, Mephisto, Negro Casas
Atlantis & Ultimo Guerrero teaming! Nothing is for certain until CMLL gets to September, and it’s not even a 50/50 bet this far out, but it’s the default choice now. The Terrible & Rush seem like the other logical finalist.
One last match between the feuding teams, with Fuego and Virus added on, before next week’s bigger match.
AAA FUSION (FRI) 03/01/2013Arena Neza [AAA, Black Terry Jr. (flickr), MT (FUSION), MT (rest)]
1) Flamita & Jinzo b Lucky Boy & Niño de Ébano Atomic Boy was attacked by Gran Apache before the match, so Jinzo (last seen in QPPLC) took his place.
2) Mari Apache b Lolita [Reina De Reinas, quarterfinal]
3) LuFisto b Cinthia Moreno [Reina De Reinas, quarterfinal] LuFisto won in her debut here.
4) Fabi Apache b Sexy Lady [Reina De Reinas, quarterfinal]
5) Taya Valkyrie b Jennifer Blake [Reina De Reinas, quarterfinal] Sexy Lady, LuFisto (who is apparently a ruda) and Mary Apache all helped out Taya to win. The tecnicas made the save after the match.
6) Juventud Guerrera b Pentagón Jr. and Aerostar and Último Gladiador [AAA FUSION, quarterfinal] Elimination went Gladiador (by Juvi), Aerostar (by Pentagon), and Pentagon (by Juvi). Both Aerostar (maybe on a dive before the finish, maybe on Pentagon’s package piledriver) and Pentagon (wheelbarrow Juvi Driver?) were hurt and taken to the hospital.
7) Crazy Boy b Súper Fly, Angelico, Halloween [AAA FUSION, quarterfinal] Crazy Boy, making his return to the ring and accompanied by Nino Hamburguesa, was the mystery person. Super Fly replaced Ricky Marvin, oddly announced for this show despite being booked in Germany at the same time and never mentioned on the show. Halloween attacked Nino before the match and Nino sought revenge during the match. Halloween beat Super Fly, Crazy Boy beat Halloween, and Crazy Boy beat Angelico for the win.
8) Devil Rocker, Machine Rocker, Soul Rocker b Monster Clown, Murder Clown, Psycho Clown Uro Rocker appeared to distract the Clowns again. Rockers made the expected challenge for the trios titles after the win.
Air Date: 03/07 & 03/14
AAA (via Dorian) announced the first two matches for Rey de Reyes after the results
LuFisto vs Fabi Apache vs Mari Apache vs Taya Valkyrie for the Reina de Reinas title
Fenix vs Daga vs Juventued Guerrera vs Crazy Boy for the AAA Fusion Title
A Rockers/Clowns title match couldn’t actually be announced yet – Consejo get their title rematch on Sunday – but that seems likes a good bet after the main event finish. Something with Gran Apache and Atomic Boy also seems likely. I’d expect more of that card to be announced during the taping Sunday and revealed in full on Monday.
This show itself again doesn’t look to have drawn especially well. I was skeptical of the idea that fans were identifying Fusion as a B-show and staying away for that reason, but there’s something here that’s not working out and it’s as good an idea as any.
There’s enough material here for 3 hours of shows, as mentioned prior, but I’m under the impression the next Fusion taping is really soon. Like, next weekend soon. We should hear a lineup soon if that’s the case.
Puroresu Spirit, citing Japanese news reports, says El Nieto del Santo will starting training in the NOAH dojo in May for a debut in Mexico 3 months later. This is Hijo del Santo’s son, who he’s some times referred to as “Santo Jr.” to avoid confusion with Axxel. Hijo del Santo turns 50 on August 2nd. A show that weekend would be the most logical moment for a Nieto del Santo debut. The article mentions Nieto del Santo will be available to wrestle in Japan for NOAH after, but no sense of when or for how long.
Dragon Lee no longer has the toughest job for a luchador. The pressure of being the newest El Santo is a 100x the newest Mistico. El Nieto del Santo is taking on the name of a cultural legend, there’s no comparison. It’s an immensely tough way to start – both Santo and El Hijo del Santo (Korak) wrestled under other names before becoming something. There’s been no sign of Nieto del Santo wrestling prior; it seemed like he was at least a year away from a debut last time it was brought up, making this announcement even more of a surprise and preparation for it more unlikely. It surprises me there was no attempt at sneaking him under another name to IWRG undercards for months to get his feet wet before the announcement. It may have slightly dulled the official debut, but it’d put him in a better chance to succeed to start. Even a poor working Nieto del Santo will be important in lucha libre because of the history of the name, but the money is in one who can work like a star, not someone who’s exposed as not being ready. Unless something’s been kept top secret, Nieto del Santo will have his first match with the brightest spotlight on him.
The plan for him to train in NOAH makes a lot of sense given the circumstances. Nieto needs to get repetitions away from Mexican eyes, and training/working internationally gives him bonus credibility to those who care about those things. Going back to Japan and wrestling infrequently in Mexico at first would be for the best. The Santo name has value in Japan too, and everything needs to be done to keep the new guy special. Santo’s TxT relationships also benefit him – between Solar, Negro Navarro and Black Terry, there’s plenty of people to help train Nieto in Mexico as well, and there’s plenty of guys with slight names who will surely be happy to team with the Heir To The Legend or wager masks with him. Promotional effort will not be a problem here.
I believe this ends the rumors of el Hijo del Santo coming to CMLL in the short term. The goal has to be to make Nieto del Santo the biggest star possible, Nieto del Santo can be treated like more of a star outside of CMLL than within it (CMLL will be prioritizing their own guys, to the extent anyone there looks like a star at all) and Hijo del Santo is not separating from his son. The math changes if Nieto del Santo establishes himself outside of CMLL – maybe some a Hijo del Santo retirement tour combined with Nieto del Santo Arena Mexico debut down the line, or maybe a rehabilitation restart if Nieto doesn’t succeed – but it doesn’t make sense until after Nieto is no longer seen as a novato.
indy (TUE) 02/26/2013Arena Coliseo Monterrey [LuchaMania Monterrey] 1) Eclipso & Enviado b Aguila Azteca & Viernes 13 2) Lady Jaguar b Cruzito Lady Jaguar has defeated men two weeks in a row. 3) Dark Genix & Misionero b Black Crazy & Chico de Barrio 4) Corazon Chicano & Dralion b Rey Imagen & Rey Orion Good match.
5) Gato Fantasma & Silencio b Galactar & Pancho Tequila Pancho Tequila is very charismatic.
6) Androide, Hijo Del Mongol Chino, Potro Jr. DQ Bengali, Difunto I, Monje Negro Jr. Androide sided with the LUM invaders and refused to help his partners. Still, the ACM/Guapos Nice team nearly won before Potro I ran in for the DQ. Everyone beat up the tecnicos after the match.
IWRG (THU) 02/28/2013Arena Naucalpan [Black Terry Jr. (flickr), Estrellas del Ring]
1) Galaxie b Araña de Plata One fall.
2) Ángel Del Amor & Mr. Leo b Fulgore & Imposible Amor is 2-0 in IWRG.
3) Apolo Estrada Jr., Eita, Tomahawk b Black Terry, Chico Che, Freelance Debut of Dragon Gate’s Tomahawk here. Apolo – wearing a Bizarros t-shirt – snuck in a foul on Black Terry for the win.
4) Dinamic Black, Dr. Cerebro, Golden Magic b Canis Lupus, Carta Brava Jr., Eterno Dinamic Black led his team to the win, but was hurt and strechered out.
5) Hijo de Pirata Morgan, Tinieblas Jr., Veneno b Fuerza Guerrera, Hijo del Dr. Wagner Jr., Máscara Año 2000 Jr. Tecnicos took 2/3, the last when Mascara and Wagner hit each other by mistake and Mascara remembered he hated Wagner for help costing him his mask. Mascara attacked Wagner and left him for the tecnicos to pin.
The big show tonight is the AAA Fusion taping in Arena Neza. AAA is beating CMLL at it’s own game, running two tournaments on one night. They’re listed differnetly, but appear to be traditional AAA Spring staples under slightly different names. The AAA Fusion tournament is four fourway matches with a fourway final – that’s the traditional Rey de Reyes tournament structure and might have replaced it’s on the calender if the final is at Rey de Reyes as rumored. The women are in a tournament for the vacant women’s title, which is essentially the 2013 Reina de Reinas tournament just not named as such. (And maybe that’s headed to the Rey de Reyes card too.)
The one Fusion fourway we’re certain on includes Pentagon Jr., Aerostar, Ultimo Gladiador and Juventued Guerrera. Aerostar and Ultimo Gladiador are probably just happy Fusion exists so they can get on TV. Pentagon and Juvi are the favorites; I’m rooting for Pentagon but either one could fit in the final. The other group is a bit of fog. Angelico (returning) and Halloween are scheduled and they’ll be there, but Ricky Marvin is as well and he’s in Germany right now. AAA has not addressed this at all, which is typical, and TVC Deportes has just stopped mentioning Ricky. (AAA’s Facebook plug for this card is highlighted by people sarcastically asking if Ricky will be using transporter technology to make this show.) There’s also a mystery spot in that group; I’ve originally been told it would be a US indy guy making his debut here, but now I’ve separately been told it’s a Mexican making their return. I dunno. There’s two open spots, both could be true, or I could end up totally wrong here. The new guy would normally be a favorite, but there may be three different new guys here. No idea how this will go.
The actual main event is a Rockers vs Psycho Clown main event – should be a Rockers win to set up the next title feud, but we thought that last time and were surprised – but the other important matches on the show are part of the Reinas de Reina tournament. There are four first round matches, with no hint of brackets (or if there’s just a four way final later.) LuFisto makes her debut and should advance past Cinthia Moreno, and it’d be a shock for Faby Apache to lose to Sexy Lady. The other two matches – Mary Apache vs Lolita and new tecnica Jennifer Blake vs Taya Valkyrie – are more unpredictable. LuFisto appears to be here as a tecnica, which means they need two rudas to balance the match, but that’s also no sure thing.
Over in Arena Mexico, the Torneo Increíble de Parejas kicks off. The eight teams include two former tag champion teams (Volador & Sombra and Shocker & Mr. Niebla), three more teams who were recently in title matches against each other (Marco & Kraneo, Maximo & Aguila, Maya & Casas) and one guy who unmasked the other guy (La Mascara & Averno.) That last one seems like the pair least likely to get along enough to win even one match while the two title winning teams seem most likely to win the whole thing. I’m hoping the Voaldor & Sombra team stays intact long enough to go against Mephisto & Mascara Dorada or Negro Casas & Guerrero Maya, since they seem like the best chances for good matches in this format. Volador & Sombra and Shocker & Niebla seem like the favorites based on histories.
The most intriguing part of this tournament is the actually reveal of the second half of the brackets, which might be announced today (and might be changed later!) Atlantis has won this tournament every year they’ve held it, which makes it likely he’ll at least make the final. If last year is an indication of the final, the losing team in the final is destined to have an apuesta match in September, and there’s one person left in CMLL everyone expects Atlantis face for the masks. This is a sort of Groundhog’s Day deal – if you see/hear Atlantis is teaming with Ultimo Guerrero next week, then signs look good for a big 80th Anniversario. If Atlantis is teaming with anyone else, then it’s a long winter (and whoever wins this bracket might be the match instead.)
CMLL Gaceta‘s preview focuses on Mistico’s return, teaming with his brother Rush and Atlantis vs the Guerreros. (There’s Atlantis and Ultimo Guerrero again.) The undercard features more Amapola/Estrellita facing off. The opener has two teams who desperately need team names – Super Halcon & Hombre Bala facing Bobby Zavala & Disturbio.
GALLI (SUN) 03/03/2013 Arena GALLI
1) Dark Scorpion & El Traidor vs Negro Thunder & Will Moah
2) Chico Suave vs Jon Morales
3) GPA & Ripper vs Matt Creed & Pentagono
4) Golden Dragon & Joe Firoz vs Henry Maxwell & Muerte Extranjera
5) Aaron Solo, Darren Dean, Tony Kozina vs Discovery, Emperador, Funebre
6) Noriega & Ricky Cruz vs Mike Anthony & Punisher 747 [GALLI TAG] Punisher & Mike are champs
7) Acid Jazz, Atomico, Lince Dorado vs Jake Shining, Mason Conrad, Ovirload
That is former IWRG mystery man Ricky Cruzz in the semimain as Noriega’s hand picked partner to challenge for the tag team title. It is a small world. I’m completely uncertain where I will be on Sunday, may be here.
LyC (TUE) 03/05/2013Arena Coliseo Monterrey
1) Lady Jaguar vs Dark Genix
2) Galactar, Gemelo Muerte I, Gemelo Muerte II vs Los Legendarios
3) Silencio vs Dralion, Gato Fantasma, Rey Orion, Obsesion, Black Spirit, Kaientai, Xtreme Boy, Chico De Barrio, Misionerio [Copa Crucero, First Part]
4) Androide, Hijo Del Mongol Chino, Mongol Chino, Potro Jr. vs ?, Bengali, Difunto I, Monje Negro Jr.
Poor Guapos Nice are stuck with Androide again this week. Maybe he can be reprogrammed?
Semimain is the first half of a flyer’s tournament, I think.