taped 2013-02-01 @ Arena Mexico
- A story from Japan claimed Nieto del Santo will soon be training wrestling in NOAH for a debut in August (probably around El Hijo del Santo’s birthday.) This hasn’t been announced in Mexico yet.
- AAA’s big TV taping of the weekend took place in San Luis Potosi and included a surprise appearance by Blue Demon Jr. Demon took Texano Jr. on his open challenge, and the two were set for a title match at Rey de Reyes.
- AAA announced the full card for Rey de Reyes. Besides the Demon/Texano match, two other matches were set up on their Fusion tapings; the finals of a Fusion title tournament with Fenix, Daga, Juvi and the returning Crazy Boy, and the finals of a tournament for the vacant women’s title with the Apaches, Taya Valkyrie and newcomer LuFisto. 18 wrestlers will compete for the Rey de Reyes sword (3 groups of 6, including two yet to be revealed names, and a final three way), and another Infierno Rockers vs Psycho Clowns trios match. The card takes place next Sunday.
- Namajague & Okumura, the two big rudos for the upcoming Dos Leyendas card, ended the 5 year Arena Coliseo Tag Team title of Stuka & Fuego this past Sunday. Stuka & Fuego (as Flash) had won the titles in a tournament back in 2008, and they spent the first couple years as rarely seen trivia belts before being regularly defended for the last couple years. The Japanese cheated the Mexicans to win the match, as they’ve tried to do (sometimes successfully) thru this feud. Namajague & Okumura face Stuka Jr. & Rey Cometa in a mask vs hair match on 03/15
- Trauma II unmasked former AAA wrestler el Angel on Sunday in IWRG. The match was part of a three way with Oficial 911. Angel was revealed to be Oscar Omar Puentes Molgado, the former Oscar Sevilla. The crowd was easily the biggest IWRG’s had this year.
- Sombra and Volador Jr. advanced to the finals of CMLL’s incredible pairs tournament, just weeks after Sombra defeated Volador to win the Reyes del Aire. Those two will face the winners of this week’s bracket, likely either Atlantis & Ultimo Guerrero or Rush & Terrible, next Friday as part of Dos Leyendas.
- Ray Mendoza accused El Hijo del Santo’s wife of telling people not to work his retirement show if they want to work Santo’s show. Hijo del Santo denies this. Rayman, who told this veto to Mendoza, did move from Mendoza’s card to Santo’s show. Despite the issues, Villano IV (Mendoza’s brother) still worked with Santo on a show this past Santo.
- Mistico returned to wrestling in Mexico City. He’s been booked as a main event guy, but one of many main even guys and not as a top guy in the promotion. His return seems to have little effect on crowd.
- Soberano and Taurus advanced to the final of CMLL’s Sangre Nueva tournament.
- Dr. Wagner, who was suggesting he’d appear on the CMLL Dos Leyendas card, was instead booked on a show in Tijuana with Canek. Dr. Wagner’s latest claim is he’s not going to CMLL until his AAA contract is finished, but AAA can’t stop him from working anywhere else.
- Dinamic Black won the IWRG Welterweight Championship
- Tomahawk from Dragon Gate started with IWRG.
CMLL (TUE) 03/05/2013 Arena Mexico [CMLL]
1) Aereo & Pequeño Halcón b Mercurio & Pequeño Universo 2000
2) Camaleón, Magnus, Molotov b Akuma, Apocalipsis, Artillero
Tecnicos took 2/3, beating team AAA
3) Taurus b Guerrero Negro Jr., Disturbio, Super Halcón Jr., Sensei, Oro Jr., Robin, Zayco, Inquisidor, Génesis [Sangre Nueva, semifinal]
Eliminations went Genesis (Zayco), Inquisidor (Sensei), Zayco (Super Halcon Jr.), Robin (Guerrero Negro Jr.), Oro Jr. (Disturbio), Sensei (Taurus), Super Halcon Jr. (Guerrero Negro), which left 3 rudos – Disturbio, Guerrero Negro Jr. and Taurus. Not sure if that many from one team has ever been left together before. They worked the final as a three way, with Guerrero Negro picking up a third victory by beating Disturbio, but Taurus using his big finisher to beat Negro. Taurus faces Soberano next week.
4) Guerrero Maya Jr., Super Porky, Valiente b Black Warrior, Kráneo, Misterioso Jr.
Olimpico was originally announced, but replaced by Kraneo. Tecnicos took 2/3.
5) Felino, Mr. Niebla, Negro Casas b Blue Panther, La Máscara, Máximo
Rudos took 2/3, the last with a casita on Mascara and nudo on Maximo.
Negro and Panther being booked together on Tuesdays seems more scheduling randomness than any set up to another match.
Soberano vs Taurus is a battle of Euforia’s (acknowledged) son vs Ultimo Guerrero’s (unacknowledged) son. Taurus only has had one singles match in CMLL so far, a lightning win over Super Halcon Jr. None for Soberano Jr.
CMLL (TUE) 03/05/2013 Arena Coliseo Guadalajara [@acogdl]
1) Black Metal & Sky Kid b In Memoriam & Sádico
Tecnicos took 1/3.
2) Nitro & Ráfaga b Starman & Stigma
Rafaga replaced Skandalo. Rudos took 1/3, Rafaga sneaking in a foul on Starman.
3) Diamante, Fuego, Tritón b Raziel, Sangre Azteca, Skándalo
Skandalo replaced Cancerbero. Tecnicos took 1/3 when Skandalo and Raziel couldn’t get along.
4) Bárbaro Cavernario b Esfinge [OCCIDENTE MIDDLE]
Barbaro Cavernario is champion and took falls 2/3 to keep the title. Second defense.
5) Averno, Ephesto, Mephisto b Ángel de Oro, Delta, Hijo del Fantasma
Rudos took 1/3, Ephesto pinning Fantamsa in the third.
6) Marco Corleone, Rush, Thunder b Euforia, Terrible, Último Guerrero
Tecnicos took 2/3, Thunder beating Terrible in the main event again.
Thunder is beating Terrible a lot. Seems like it’s going somewhere
DTU says they’ll be running a Premier League points tournament for it’s Alto Impacto division during their shows in March, a points based competition. This is a good idea for luchadorks like myself, but the only way people care about this is if points/standings are easy to follow, and a lot of that is DTU posting the results to their matches. The concept is neat if done well, but if no one can find out what’s going on, then it’s meaninguless. (Every promotion should be posting at least barebone results for every show – if the matches happen and the people running them don’t care what happened, then no one else will – but few do.)
DTU was teasing a PWG guy coming in for those March shows, and accidentally posted a link to a video package with Willie Mack, so I’m thinking it might be PWG’s Willie Mack. He’s good.
AAA has posted the second half of the Pachuca taping and the second half of the Pentagon Jr. & Parka Negra interview. AAA needs to have Pentagon Jr. crowing about running Octagon Jr. off. (Especially if Octagon Jr.”s coming back.)
Black Terry Jr. has highlights of Saturday’s show at Arena Lopez Mateos.
The Gladiatores page of upcoming posters lists a Dinastia vs Mini Psicosis title rematch in SLP on 04/17, and a non-title Fuego/Stuka vs Namajague/Okumura match tomorrow in Aguascalientes.
- Marcela defends the CMLL Women’s title vs Amapola in Denver on 03/17. Dragon Rojo & Mascara Dorada are also on the card.
- Preview of a lucha libre show this Saturday in Tacoma.
- Crazy Boy says he’s not only back, but he’s at his best.
- Video interview with Cibernetico.
- Luchalibreblog rounds up at mask/hair matches from February.
- Phil reviews some matches from Sunday’s IWRG.
- Update on Arena Coliseo Reynosa championships. Weekend Boy is the current Continental Light Heavyweight champion.
CMLL (TUE) 03/12/2013 Arena Mexico
1) Metatrón & Robin vs Akuma & Inquisidor
2) Fantasy, Shockercito, Último Dragoncito vs Pequeño Violencia, Pequeño Warrior, Pierrothito
3) Fuego, Pegasso, Starman vs Cancerbero, Raziel, Virus
4) Soberano Jr. vs Taurus [Sangre Nueva, final]
5) Ángel de Oro, Blue Panther, Valiente vs Morphosis, Mr. Águila, Psicosis
6) Marco Corleone, Rush, Shocker vs Euforia, Niebla Roja, Último Guerrero
Outside the tournament, there’s nothing on going here.
CMLL (TUE) 03/12/2013 Arena Coliseo Guadalajara
1) Leo & Virgo vs Évola & Magnum
2) Black Metal, Molotov, Stigma vs Hooligan, Ráfaga, Skándalo
3) Goya Kong, Luna Mágica, Silueta vs Princesa Sugheit, Tiffany, Zeuxis
4) Diamante, Diamante Azul, Super Porky vs Olímpico, Sangre Azteca, Vangelis
5) Máximo, Mistico, Thunder vs Dragón Rojo Jr., Pólvora, Rey Escorpión
(Thunder/Terrible is not going anywhere.) Rare double Diamante team up.
TxT (THU) 03/28/2013 Gimnasio Juan de la Barrera
1) Lobito & Rockerito vs Mascarita Sagrada & Tzuki
2) Alan Extreme & Imposible vs Dinamic Black & Saruman
3) Dr. Wagner Jr. & El Hijo del Solitario vs Derek Sanders & Shaun Ricker
4) Angel Blanco Jr. vs Rayman [WWA WELTER]
Angel Blanco Jr. is champion
5) El Hijo Del Santo vs Oliver John [CMB LUCHA]
Hijo del Santo is champion.
Poster here. To answer your immediate question is: Oliver John is a anti-immigrant rudo in Pro Wrestling Revolution (where Santo is working in May) who was beat Demon in the Lucha Libre Expo on 2010, Derek Sanders is part of John’s faction (and worked an LLX show back in 2006!), Shaun Ricker is a guy from NWA Hollywood who appears to be replacing their usual trio partner, and I don’t think many in Mexico will know who any of them are. It’s bringing in foreign guys to say you brought in foreign guys. DTU does generally same thing, but they’re not running 8,000 seat buildings and are not aiming at casual audiences. Good luck.
Second match should be good!