CMLL (TUE) 01/22/2013 Arena Mexico [CMLL, Yahoo! Deportes]
1) Camorra & Ramstein b Oro Jr. & Soberano Jr.
2) La Comandante, Tiffany, Zeuxis b Dark Angel, Lady Afrodita, Marcela
3) Delta, Felino, La Máscara, Mephisto, Mr. Águila, Rey Escorpión, Stuka Jr., Volador Jr. b Atlantis, Blue Panther, Diamante, Euforia, Máximo, Morphosis, Psicosis, Sagrado [seeding battle royal]
Set sides for the next cibernetico.
4) Rey Escorpión & Volador Jr. b Atlantis, La Máscara, Diamante, Sagrado, Blue Panther, Máximo, Stuka Jr., Delta, Euforia, Morphosis, Mr. Águila, Mephisto, Psicosis, Felino [CMLL LH, semifinal]
Eliminated went Sagrado (by Delta), Felino (by Morphosis), Atlantis (by Rey Escorpion), Delta (Euforia), Mephisto (by Blue Panther), Morphosis (by Mr. Aguila), Diamante (by Stuka), Blue Panther (by Volador), Mr. Aguila (by Maximo), Stuka/Maximo double pin, Psicosis (by La Mascara), La Mascara (by Volador) – that last one was odd, because Mascara and Volador were on the same side. That left three rudos, Euforia, Rey Escorpion and Volador, who all fought each other. Rey Escorpion took Volador’s mask and threw it to Euforia, who fouled Rey Escorpion. Ref turned around to see Volador unmasked, Escorpion in pain from a foul, and decreed those two man the finalists and Euforia DQed.
5) La Sombra, Shocker, Super Porky DQ Mr. Niebla, Niebla Roja, Último Guerrero
Niebla could not find a way to beat Sombra, so he fouled him.
6) Terrible b Rush [CMLL HEAVY]
Terrible took 2/3, the last with a foul, to keep the title. 6th defense.
Poor dumb rash Rush.
Some surprising eliminations in the cibernetico. This was just an odd night.
CMLL (TUE) 01/22/2013 Arena Coliseo Guadalajara [@acogdl, Informador]
1) In Memoriam & Magnum b Brillante & Sky Kid
2) Bobby Zavala, Disturbio, Inquisidor b Black Metal, Leono, Metálico
Rudos took 1/3.
3) Nitro, Nosferatu, Virus b Fuego, Gallo, Starman
Rudos took 1/3.
4) Guerrero Maya Jr., Hijo del Fantasma, Tritón b Ephesto, Misterioso Jr., Tiger
Tecnicos tok 1/3, Triton beat Misterioso
5) Marco Corleone, Titán, Valiente DQ Averno, Dragón Rojo Jr., Negro Casas
Tecnicos took 2/3, Dragon Rojo fouling Titan to set up a match next week.
LuchaWorld has KrisZ’s news update.
Wrestling Observer Awards
Lucha related 2013 Wrestling Observer Newsletter awards – voted by the readers of the newsletter and taken much too seriously. Awards run from 12/01/11 to 11/30/12.
Most Oustanding Wrestler: 14th Dr. Wagner Jr.
Fued of the Year: 7th Blue Panther vs Negro Casas
Most Improved: 3th Rush, 15th Fenix
Best Techinical Wrestler: 9th Negro Casas
Best Brawler: 10th LA Park
Best Flying Wrestler: 6th La Sombra, 7th Samuray del Sol, 9th Mascara Dorada, 11th Sin Cara, 13th Titan, 19th Aero Star
Best Promotion: 8th IWRG, 9th AAA
Best TV Show: 10th CMLL, 11th IWRG, 12th AAA
Best Match: 10th 03/02 Blue Panther vs Negro Casas
Rookie of the Year: 1st Dinastia, 3rd Eita
Best TV Announcer: 9th José Manuel Guillén
Worst TV Announcer: 9th Jesus Zuniga
Best Major Wrestling Show: 7th CMLL 79th Anniversario
Worst Television Show: 6th CMLL
I don’t understand Fenix got that much better in 2012 – he was already good, he’s still good. Maybe he just got seen more? Heck, I watched that four way tag from 2011 (Mascara Oriental/Sairus vs Daga/Eterno vs Pesadilla/Peligro vs Low Rider/?) the other night, and he was pretty good there too. Someone educate me.
That Titan is so close to Sin Cara in best flyer is inspiring and depressing at the same time. Sin Cara finished 7th in Underrated (and Hunico/Incognito/Mystico finish 9th.)
I’d have to do some research to be sure, and I’m probably not going for this, but I believe this might be the first time IWRG’s finish top 10 and top Mexican promotion. They had a good year, but I wonder if they also hit a critical mass in terms of availability (more on YouTube) and awareness (more people linking to YouTube?) The list on best promotion went to 12, and CMLL did not appear.
Which makes it all the more weird that CMLL finishes first in lucha TV show ahead of both of those promotions. It’s because all non-American TV shows are grouped together by promotion. There’s so many CMLL shows that luchadorks might have voted for a couple of them, even if they liked AAA or IWRG better. Though it does look weird when CMLL has a ‘better TV show’ and the only major show in the top 10, and is considered 3rd overall. Volume can work for and against you. (See the Worst Television Show list.)
Hooray for Dinastia. Hooray for my playlist. Eita is more than deserving too.
José Manuel Guillén was the highest non-English announcer. Same for Jesus Zuniga.
Hiroshi Tanahashi won MVP and Most Outstanding Wrestler. I assume that’s 100% for his participation in the CMLL Universal tournament. Good job Tanahashi!
- CMLL Gaceta recaps the Invasors title win and the Estrellita/Sugheit challenge for next Monday in Puebla.
- IWL has announced three shows for February. They look more like shows normal people might run, not IWL’s patented 500 luchador formula.
- La Catedral has a lot of thoughts about Thunderbird.
- Black Mamba talks about his AAA debut. He’s training with Gran Apache.
- Super Crazy and Ricky Marvin will appear on NGX (Monterrey)’s 02/23 show.
- DJ Spectro looks back at Solitaro vs Ray Mendoza hair vs mask, Bobby Lee beating Solar for the UWA Welterweight Championship, and part one of a Dr. Wagner bio. DJ Spectro puts out a lot of content, but I wish it was easier to find after the fact.
- Estrellas del Ring has an interview with Pagano about his career, and Pantera I about his return from illness. Pantera I mentions in passing a couple times about how Pantera II (the one people are used to seeing) lost his mask. That’s not a secret, but it’s something most Mexican coverage tends to ignore since Pantera II is back to wearing his mask like nothing happened.
- Porra Fresa says every match on Monday was good, including the title match being better than expected.
- Super Muneco and Konnan in a 1993 indy comic book.
- Weekend Boy is my new favorite luchador name.
- Perrera del Mal will interview Violento Jack & Aeroboy tonight.
- Part of AAA’s interview with Psicosis & Daga.
- Rush is headed to Guatemala on 02/24. Also, something is up with that tournament because I swore Rayo de Oro went to a draw a couple weeks ago and should be out. Guatemalan shenanigans!
IWRG (SUN) 01/27/2013 Arena Naucalpan
1) Astro Rey Jr. & Seiya vs Araña de Plata Jr. & Fulgore
2) Chico Che, Freelance, Suicida vs Alan Extreme,Apolo Estrada Jr., Avisman
3) el Ángel vs Trauma II [IWRG IC MIDDLE]
Angel is champion
4) Extreme Tiger, Trauma I, Veneno vs Factor, Máscara Año 2000 Jr., Toscano
5) Negro Navarro vs Texano Jr. [FLLM MASTER]
Negro Navarro is champion
Main event should be fun, a different match for both of them. I’m not quite sure how they get out of it, because the AAA Heavyweight Champion probably shouldn’t be losing singles titles matches on indy shows, but I don’t think he wants the FLLM Master title either.
Extreme Tiger’s exciting indy run includes matches versus current AAA wrestlers. Lucha libre is very confusing.
Angel vs Trauma II 2! I need to get around to watching 1!
Second match looks fun if people show up, which is far from a sure bet.
CMLL (SAT) 01/26/2013 Arena Lopez Mateos
1) Euro & Olimpus vs Lince X & Sol De Oriente
2) Cosaco Loco & Soy Raymunda vs Corsario Negro Jr. & Drago (AULL)
3) Chucho el Roto, Flamita, Iron Love vs Sádico, Trauma I, Trauma II
4) Delta, Guerrero Maya Jr., Titán vs Euforia, Pólvora, Puma King
5) Marco Corleone, Máximo, Rush vs Dragón Rojo Jr., Mephisto, Mr. Niebla
First CMLL show of the year here.
3/4 should be fun, but they’d be more interesting if they switched the matchups up.
CMLL (TUE) 01/29/2013 Arena Mexico
1) Oro Jr. & Robin vs Apocalipsis & Cholo
2) Fantasy, Stukita, Último Dragoncito vs Demus 3:16, Pequeño Olímpico, Pequeño Warrior
3) Diamante, Pegasso, Starman vs Cancerbero, Raziel, Sangre Azteca
4) Blue Panther, Guerrero Maya Jr., Tritón vs Black Warrior, Misterioso Jr., Olímpico
5) Volador Jr. vs Rey Escorpión [CMLL LH]
championship is vacant
6) Atlantis, La Sombra, Marco Corleone vs Felino, Mr. Niebla, Negro Casas
They’re setting up a La Sombra vs Mr. Niebla match?
I have no idea who’s going to win that title match. I’d pick Volador if I had to pick.
Stukita’s second match. Pequeno Valiente waits a little longer.
CMLL (TUE) 01/29/2013 Arena Coliseo Guadalajara
1) Leo & Metatrón vs Espectrum & Ráfaga
2) Ángel Azteca, Metálico, Molotov vs Hijo del Signo, Hooligan, Nosferatu
3) La Máscara, Shocker, Super Porky vs Kráneo, Morphosis, Psicosis
4) Titán vs Dragón Rojo Jr. [lightning]
5) Máscara Dorada, Máximo, Rush vs Euforia, Niebla Roja, Último Guerrero
Guerreros vs Tecnicos.
Werid to see that tecnico trio down in a tercera.
Super X (SUN) 02/24/2013 Arena del Sur
1) ? vs ??
2) ? vs ??
3) ? vs ??
4) Fenix (AAA) & Juventud Guerrera vs Eterno & Tribal
5) Halloween vs Electroshock [hardcore]
Juvi’s first real match since October, though he might be back before this. Ticket info here.
Rojas (FRI) 03/01/2013 Auditorio de Tijuana
1) Eternus vs Alkimista
2) Angelus & Star Dragon vs Kamaleon Negro & Kamaleon Negro Jr.
3) Mascarita Sagrada vs Tzuki, Venum Black Jr., Mascarita Dorada, Mr. Aguilita, Fantastic, Mr. Maldito [mask, hair]
4) Hijo de Rey Misterio II vs Bestia 666 [WWO CRUISER]
5) Lizmark Sr. vs Espectro II, Kato, Camaleon De Oro, Súper Muñeco, El Pulpo, Damián 666, Fugitivo De Texas [mask, hair]
Poster is here. Lizmark has been listed in matches, but I don’t have a result for him since 2009. He’s slightly more retired than Cien Caras, but not as much as Perro Aguayo Sr. Tzuki’s had his own absences. Rare to see three different Mascarita Sagradas in one match.
I don’t have a record of a WWO Cruiserweight championship prior, but there are so many worthless titles.