CMLL (MON) 03/26/2012 Arena Puebla [Porra Fresa]
1) Dinamico & Lestat b Espiritu Maligno & Karisma
Dinamico’s Arena Puebla debut. He looked nervous early, but got it together. Tecnicos took 1/3
2) Astral, Fantasy, Último Dragoncito b Demus 3:16, Pequeño Nitro, Pequeño Olímpico
Tecnicos take 2/3, Dragoncito pinned Olimpico in both. He gets a title challenge next week.
3) Diamante, Sagrado, Sangre Azteca b Hijo del Signo, Shigeo Okumura, Vangelis
Tecnicos take 2/3, Sagrado beating Okumura in the third.
4) Averno, Ephesto, Mephisto b Ángel de Oro, Black Warrior, Hijo del Fantasma
Averno and Black Warrior feuded. Rudos took 1/3, Averno sneaking a foul on Warrior in the last.
5) La Sombra, Prince Devitt, Rush b Felino, Mr. Niebla, Negro Casas
Tecnicos took 2/3. Devitt and Niebla fought in the third.
IWRG (THU) 03/29/2012 Arena Naucalpan [Black Terry Jr. (flickr), IWRG]
1) Galaxy & Templario (IWRG) b Dragón Celestial & Galáctico Infernal
2) Kortiz & Pacto Negro b Charly Madrid & Sky Ángel
3) Centvrión, Chicano, Freyser b Alan Extreme, Comando Negro, The Mummy
4) Carta Brava Jr., Eterno, Oficial AK47 b Angelico, Dinamic Black, Saruman
Eterno pinned Angelico using the ropes. Saruman replaced Golden Magic.
5) Bestia 666, Damián 666, Halloween, X-Fly, Zumbi b Hijo de Pirata Morgan, Pirata Morgan, Pirata Morgan Jr., Trauma I, Trauma II
Traumas did not wear Perro gear and did get along with the Pirates. FdT took the first, opposition took the second. Halloween spears a ref in the third, Trauma I pinned Halloween but the ref was distracted, Damian fouled Trauma I and put Halloween on top for the pin.
Familia de Tijuana have made a vast improvement in t-shirts. Evil Zumbi’s mask is pretty sharp too. Not sure about X-Fly’s painted on goatee. IWRG’s webpage has a new bulletin announcing Familia de Tijuana as part of IWRG, they’re going to be around Arena Nacualpan a lot for the near future.
Masked Republic, on their new website, announced they’re the new international syndicatior of AAA. AAA’s wanted to sell their TV international for a long time, the hold up has always been getting the rights to the TV free from Televisa. Looks like they did it. There’s no mention of any deals with any networks, that’s the next step.
Masked Republic also announced an upcoming channel on VOD service FilmOn, to launch sometime this Summer. That channel will have 25 hours of footage a month, including AAA, Pro Wrestling Revolution, Canada’s Inter Species Wrestling, and older material from the Viva La Lucha project and California’s Rev Pro Wrestling. There’s no mention how much this will cost. The other channels listed in FilmOn’s website run between $2 -$5 a month, so I’d guess that’s the range here.
As a bonus, they’ve posted a translated version of AAA’s Rudos vs Tecnicos web magazine.
Tonight’s the big Prince Devitt vs Volador Jr. NWA Middleweight title match, but Volador isn’t concerned with his challenger: “he does not have anything, there are better talents here in Mexico, but I don’t want to belittle him so I’m giving him a chance.” He’s also, as always, teasing a new look. Devitt says the outcome will be the same as last week, and he’s taking the belt back to Ireland. The belt, and it’s predecessors, has been held by Mexicans, Japanese, American, Canadian luchadors and was brought to Mexico by a Finnish wrestler, but Devitt would become the first European to win it since it came to Mexico.
Volador vows to give 100% for his people, and wants a shot at Devitt’s title after he wins tonight. This shapes up as match one in a series: if Devitt wins, Volador’s got to chase him back to Japan (or Ireland!), while Volador would seem to be owed a title shot or a spot in NJPW’s Best of Super Juniors if he can beat their current champ.
This is a year without a clear favorite. More accurately, this is a year with a clear favorite (Dragon Lee), but standard practices means he’s not going to win back to back tournaments, and the rest is a toss up. Titan is next most highly regarded and is in a sort of dream team with Mascara Dorada, but was last seen noted as being in a losing streak. Ultimo Guerrero has past success teaming with a novato under a new name, but Niebla Roja is a question mark. Puma King could catch up to his brother with a significant win here. Euforia’s unlikely to win the tournament overall, but will definitely go as far as they need him to make tecnicos look good, maybe all the way to the final. Titan is my pick, but with no confidence.
CMLL’s preview of the tournament mentions Niebla Roja has been training for two years under Ultimo Guerrero. For what it’s worth, the Taurus who teamed with UG on the last Toryumon Mexico show appears to be a Navarro trainee – he’s appeared in IWRG and elsewhere in that role. Niebla Roja could possibly be Ultimo Guerrero’s son (two years ago is about when he turned up on Ras de Lona), but he’s probably not Taurus. The Angel de Plata idea sounds better, if only because it’ll tie up a loose end.
CMLL is also running a show in Guadalajara. I did see last week’s CMLL TV finally, and did not see any promotion of this show at all; it seems like they’re running it just because they already said they would, but there’s no special interest in this one. Maximo vs Averno is the main event. This appears the first time they’ve had a singles match.
AAA runs their own TV taping tonight in Queretaro, the first of two this weekend. Tonight’s main event is Mesias, Tiger and Jack vs a trio of Perros. The Consejo began regular participation on shows with a match versus Electroshock, Metal and TBA; Daga is listed but not expected back this weekend. Argenis & Fenix vs Argos & Semental looks like it’ll be a good match if Argos stays out of the way.
AAA has hinted as to the mystery women in the opener. SuperLuchas guesses Taya Valkyire, Ludark Shaitan, and Sexy Lady. QPPC winner La Magnifica has also been suggested; she’s still waiting for her debut, but seems more like a tecnica.
No chat today, but a decent amount of updated on @luchablog.
- Bill has highlights of 01/22/12 FantasticMania and 02/26/12 ACM
- Septiembre Negro, Apolo Dantes, Asesino Negro and El Gallo were honored by the Guadalajara Box Y Lucha commission.
- There’s a lucha libre expo in Mazatlan this weekend.
- A TV show on Martha Villalobos.
- LWE of Houston have announced their debut shows.
- Sexy Star was listed in a book of Mexican female athletes
- The Super Crazy tribute show has been pushed back to 04/14, because Super Crazy is still in Japan.
- The second Daga Dynamic Dojo show will be on 04/15. Aerostar and Dark Dragon will be on the show.
- More IWS videos.
- An interview with Gran Kendor II