Live chat is below. Results may appear here and on Twitter as time permits.
CMLL (FRI) 09/30/2011 Arena Mexico
***CMLL 78th Anniversario***
1) Ángel Azteca Jr. & Hombre Bala Jr. bRayo Tapatío I & Rayo Tapatío II
Tecnicos take 1/3
2) Euforia & Misterioso Jr. b Dragon Lee & Stuka Jr.
Rudos take 2/3.
Negro Casas was honored.
3) Jushin Lyger b Diamante, Olímpico, Mephisto, Hijo del Signo, Fuego, Dragón Rojo Jr., Metro, Rey Escorpion, Virus, Máscara Dorada, Sangre Azteca [Leyenda de Plata, cibernetico, semifinal]
Team A: Mephisto, Mascara Dorada, Diamante, Virus, Fuego, Olimpico
Team B: Jushin Lyger, Hijo del Signo, Dragon Rojo Jr., Metro, Rey Escorpion, Sangre Azteca
– Hijo del Signo (via Fuego)
– Diamante (via Rey Escorpion)
– Fuego (via Sangre Azteca)
– Rey Escorpion (via Olimpico)
– Virus (via Metro with help from Sangre Azteca)
– Sangre Azteca (via Mascara Dorada)
– Olimpico (via Dragon Rojo Jr.)
– Metro (via Mephisto)
– Mascara Dorada (via Lyger)
– Dragon Rojo (via Mephisto)
– Mephisto (via Lyger)
4) Rey Bucanero L Héctor Garza and Rush and Blue Panther and Felino and Máximo and Texano and Mr. Águila and Negro Casas and Terrible [cage, hair] Mr. Aguila did a big dive at the start of the match. Escape went Rush, Mr. Aguila, Terrible, Texano, Hector Garza, Maximo, Panther and Negro, leaving Felino and Bucanero behind. Bucanero absurdly went for a top rope ‘rana, which fed perfectly into Felino’s superbomb. Felino had his feet on the ropes for the win. Bucanero was shaved.
In GDL, Palacio Negro shaved Loco Max – or at least that was the idea, but there were some equipment issues.
La Sombra vs Averno for the CMLL Universal Championship: Possibly the match of the year, almost certaintly clinching Averno as luchador of the year*, and firmly established Sombra as the top tecnico as much as they’ll let anyone be established as top anything in CMLL right now. Maybe group this with Guerrero Maya/Virus, Angel de Oro/Polvora, and your favorite Averno/Mascara match as examples of what CMLL is capable of and what they actually succeed in doing at times.
* – if AAA ends the year with LA Park winning the AAA title after having taken Mesias’ hair, a realistic possibility, then the magazines are going with him. And they should.
(the actual best part of the gif might be the reaction of the people who just saw their t-shirt get tossed far away.)
IWRG (THU) 09/29/2011 Arena Naucalpan [Estrellas del Ring, The Gladiatores]
1) Astro de Plata Jr. & Astro Rey Jr. b Dark Devil & Polifacético
2) Alan Extreme, Imposible, Picudo Jr. b Atomic Boy, Centurión, Fenix (AAA) Good performance from the AAA wrestlers, but the rudos took 2/3 to take the fight.
3) Golden Magic b Carta Brava Jr. [IWRG IC WELTER] Golden Magic won the last two falls to take the match, winning via 450 splash.
4) Cien Caras Jr., Hijo de Máscara Año 2000, Máscara Año 2000 Jr. b Bestia 666, Damián 666, X-Fly and Monster Clown, Murder Clown, Psycho Clown The other two teams worked together to beat the Clowns, then the Dinimitas defeated the Perros and challenged for a trios title shot.
Black Terry Jr. already has video of Carta Brava Jr. vs Golden Magic: fall 1, fall 2, fall 3. No video of the segunda yet, but BT Jr. raved about it on Twitter.
Lucha Libre USA
Matches for tommorow’s LLUSA redebut.
(all from 12/12/2010)
1) Rellik & Sydistiko vs Oriental & Tinieblas Jr.
2) Mini Park vs Rosetta Park [lumberjack]
3) Lizmark Jr. vs Marco Corleone, RJ Brewer, Charly Malice [LLUSA HEAVY]
According to PWInsider’s conversation with the people running the group, they’ve got a 13 episode season. They’ve taped far more than 13 episodes, so some of that is not airing for a long time. Charly was still working here thru March, so he’ll be on almost all of this season. Sydistiko is Paul London taking over the role from TJP. They’re planning on running house shows after TV gets rolling.
Colt Cabana’s Art of Wrestling podcast has a really interesting interview with Ricky Marvin, who talks about growing up as the son of a luchador who didn’t want his sons to be luchadors, his first match and his start in Japan. Ricky struggles a little bit with English but the content is very good.
The Sin Cara vs Black Sin Cara promo on tonight’s SmackDown includes “Mistico” being said by Hunico in reference to their previous issues, which is the first time that name has been used on the English version of the show. The announcers do not elaborate, but strongly push the idea that there will be only 1 Sin Cara after Sunday’s PPV. (Though you don’t have to wait until Sunday if you check out Kicids poster today.)
Rush explains that his high position in CMLL is due to his effort, and he’ll prove he deserves it in the cage. He’s looking to face Texano and help Blue Panther.
The AAA facebook page says the semimain in Leon – Metal/Electro/Lider/Chessman/Silver/Gladiador is a ladder match with a guitar hanging from the ceiling, and the first person to smash the guitar over someone else wins. If they actually do ‘near falls’ with the guitar, like near misses in a table match, that could be sort of amusing.
IWRG (SUN) 10/02/2011 Arena Naucalpan
1) Astro de Plata Jr. & Astro Rey Jr. vs Alan Extreme & Keshin Black
2) Dinamic Black, Eterno, Golden Magic vs Carta Brava Jr., King Drako, Polifacético
3) Mascara Sagrada Jr., Trauma I, Ultramán Jr. vs El Hijo del Medico Asesino, Hijo de LA Park, Hijo de Pirata Morgan
4) Cien Caras Jr., Hijo de Máscara Año 2000, Máscara Año 2000 Jr. vs Bestia 666, Damián 666, X-Fly
5) Canek, Electroshock, Ray Mendoza Jr. vs El Hijo del Solitario, Pirata Morgan, Universo 2000
Updated lineup, with Diminitas vs Perros.
IWL (FRI) 10/14/2011 Arena Queretaro 1) ? vs ? 2) ? vs ? 3) ? vs ? 4) ? vs ? 5) Dr. X-Treme, Veneno, Zumbido vs Cerebro Negro, Fantasma de la Ópera, Sepulturero I 6) Gigante Warrior & Low Rider vs Naruto & Tony Rivera 7) 2 Tuff Tony, Mad Man Pondo, Necro Butcher vs Ángel o Demonio, León Rojo, Ovett 8) Davey Richards & Juventud Guerrera vs Daga & Super Crazy
I am pretty sure I’ve read the name 2 Tuff Tony before but I do not actually know who he is.
IWL (SAT) 10/15/2011 Unidad Deportiva Javier Rojo Gomez, Tulancingo, Hidalgo 1) ? vs ? 2) ? vs ? 3) ? vs ? 4) ? vs ? 5) Ángel o Demonio, León Rojo, Ovett vs Epitafio, Fantasma de la Ópera, Sepulturero I and Scorpio Jr., Veneno, Zumbido 6) 2 Tuff Tony, Gigante Warrior, Mad Man Pondo vs Genesis, Konami, Tony Rivera 7) Super Crazy vs Necro Butcher 8) Davey Richards vs Daga [ROH HEAVY]
Poster here. That’s actually not the first ROH title match in Mexico. Back on an X-LAW show in 2005, Austin Aries faced Super Crazy and Ricky Marvin. IWL’s also running 10/16 Tultitlan, and 10/18 in Pachuca.
Terrible: none of these guys are losing a cage match for their first hair loss
People Who Would Be Jokes As Losers Because They Just Lost
Mr. Aguila: nine months ago
Máximo: six months ago!
Negro Casas: eleven months ago
These three being in this match is sort of a lame bit an indy promotion would do. Was Avisman busy?
Possibilities, However Sad They May Be
Veterans of suitable level who would seem like a significant deal if they were shaved and who haven’t lost their hair in a while. Bucanero lost his hair last 4 years ago, Panther has never lost his hair. On the other hand, Panther has shown better sense at when to lose apuesta matches then to lose right now, and they may have other plans for Bucanero.
Trade off (or bonus) for winning the heavyweight title? If they were really considering a Volador/Ultimo Guerrero/Atlantis/Hector Garza four way for this show, it means they have been probably considering Garza to lose. They’ve used Hector Garza losing his hair to set up bigger matches down the road, and this show is best used to build towards one that might actually matter.
Obvious, Maybe Too Obvious
He’s been looking for a hair match since five minutes after he lost his mask and finally is getting in one. He’s significant enough for the loss to matter but is more comedy guy now so a loss won’t hurt him. The biggest reason why he might not lose here is because there’s a ready made feud for later in the year – TRT vs Peste Negra with everything on the line. However, CMLL didn’t seem to have a firm plan for this match until a month in advance (if even), so it wouldn’t seem like they’re actually mapping out the rest of the year at this point.
My pick is Felino. Rush winning here would get a reaction they do not want, so I’d pick one of TRT to win.
Attendance is bit less straightforward. They’re not going to sell out and I don’t think they’re going to reach the high water mark of the year (Mascara/Averno), though the tickets are actually less expensive than that show.
Dos Leyendas: 10,500 (tickets are 450 to 40, not including surcharges )
Juicio Final: 13,500 (800 to 100)
Anniversario: ??,??? (600 to 50)
(comparision: GDL tickets are 180 to 60 – which actually points more towards Malefico)
They should be able to draw 10,000 on the Anniversary show concept alone, but I’m not sure this show can. It’s a really unappetizing match with no strong build. I don’t know how much their TV is helping them right now, but you’d barely have an idea this match is going on if you watch the main Teleivisa/Galavision show and you’d barely know why. The last three weeks have been about the Universal Tournament, and the build wasn’t that strong or coherent prior to that. Last week’s show, with Atlantis vs Ultimo Guerrero in a hotter feud, just barely got over 10,000 with cheaper prices.
CMLL is going to do what they have to do make sure the building doesn’t look appalling empty for this show, but 8,000 paid seems about right for this level show.
In the other multiman matches
Leyenda de Azul Plata: Assuming there’s a reason Lyger is a tecnico – a dangerous assumption when it comes to NJPW wrestlers in CMLL this year – a match with Volador would appear to be it. Mascara Dorada is the only other guy with a shot, but I’m not sure who beats Lyger in this. Mephisto? Eh. Olimpico? Dragon Rojo? Virus? (Actually, yes, Virus beating Lyger would actually be awesome.)
Guadalajara: none of the mask guys are likely to lose. Okumura, Yoshihashi, Leo, Leono, Malefico, Toscano and Loco Max are the unmasked seven. It’d be cheap to have Yoshihashi lose again so soon,. Leo is a young local técnico, and this would be a big step back. If Okumura is going to lose big in Guadalajara any time soon, it should be in a title match, not this. This is probably not going to be a large enough gate to pay for Toscano’s hair. Leono is a real possibility; they’ve largely given up on him, so this would be a fine enough way to cash out on the earlier wins (and would explain the reason for the recent hair win here.) Malefico is the old local rudo, so that’s always a reason possibility. My pick is still Loco Max, because he always grows his hair real long before a hair loss and his hair is real long again.
Neza: Unless someone not in the match ends up in the match, it has to be one of the Pirates; everyone else can do better than lose in Neza (and may have already agreed to.) Pirata Morgan Sr. is my pick, but Barba Roja or Pirata Morgan Jr. (the shorter, stouter one) are reasonable possibilities. Neither is around any promotion full time or really needs the mask to be the character. Pirata Sr. is probably getting a chuck of the money no matter who loses it.
CMLL (MON) 09/26/2011 Arena Puebla [Porra Fresa]
1) Asturiano & Tigre Rojo b Ares & Centauro de Fuego
2) Cancerbero, King Jaguar, Raziel b Ángel de Plata, Molotov, Stigma
3) Dragon Lee, Metro, Sagrado b Misterioso Jr., Shigeo Okumura, Yoshihashi Tecnicos took falls 1/3.
4) Jushin Lyger, La Máscara, Super Porky DQ Olímpico, Último Guerrero, Volador Jr. Tecnicos took 2/3, UG fouling Lyger in the third.
5) Máximo, Rush, Toscano b Averno, Ephesto, Mephisto Tecnicos took last two falls to win, then challenged for a trios shot.
Next week’s Puebla main event is indeed a title match between those two teams.
The Tijuana Box Y Lucha commission held a press conference to explain what happened with Chavo Guerrero Sr./Jr. not working the show two Fridays ago. They said that they’re doing random drug testing, Chavo Junior’s name came up, but Senior refused to let him take the test. Chavo Senior was also drinking prior to the match. The commission asked Chavo Jr. one more time before the main event, he did agree, but Chavo Sr. would not let it happen. Chavo Sr. is suspended for a year in Tijuana as a result.
This week’s Wrestling Observer had a lot more about this situation. Rey Misterio Sr. has exercised his power a lot as a commissioner. All Tijuana wrestlers are required to have been trained at a legit school (by no coincidence, Misterio still owns a school here.) American promoters are now allowed to promote in Tijuana. No Tijuana wrestler is allowed to wrestle in t-shirts (hooray.) He’s also caused problems by getting his new ‘son’ Hijo del Rey Misterio to charge for publicity appearances to promote shows, some of which goes right back to Misterio Sr. for using the name. Publicity appearances are usually expected to be free, so promoters aren’t happy about this.
The Traumas explain they don’t want to defend the AULL Tag Titles against Iron Love and Chucho el Roto again, because they’ll so clearly win. Instead, they want a mask/mask vs mask/hair match, but know Lovo/Roto won’t sign because they’ll surely lose.
Maximo says losing his hair a second time would be more embarassing than the first, and hopes to take Texano or Mr. Aguila’s hair.
IWRG FIL (TUE) 10/04/2011 Arena Naucalpan
1) Aerocruz & Mascarita de Oro vs Halcon Xtreme & Zafiro
2) Dragon Celestial & Galactico Infernal vs Flama Infernal & Serpiente Dorada
3) Picudo Jr., Sky Angel, Volaris vs Guerrero 2000, Matrix Jr., Monster Blue
4) Centurión, Halcon 2000, Rolling Boy vs Dark Devil, Imposible, Keshin Black
5) Alan Extreme, Astro de Plata Jr., Carta Brava Jr., Dinamic Black, Eterno, Golden Magic, Saruman, Tritón vs ?, Electro Boy, Excentrico, Hacker, Jhonky, Miedo Extremo, Radical, Slayer [cibernetico, Copa Higher Power XVIII]
IWRG vs DTU school.
LUCHA POP (SAT) 10/08/2011 Arena Lopez Mateos
1) Falcon Jr. vs Terremoto Negro, Belial, Angel del Misterio
2) Black Mamba & Yuki Star vs ? & Bugambilia del Norte
3) Keira & Lolita vs Fabi Apache & Mari Apache
4) Zumbi vs Rocky Santana
5) La Vaquerita vs Vanely [POP FEMENIL]
6) Joe Lider vs ?, ??