No detailed IWRG results yet, though @thegladiatores has quick results and Black Terry Jr. had an awesome photo of an increasingly insane Pollo Asesino.
CMLL Press Conference
CMLL held one of it’s monthly press conferences yesterday. This one appears to have caught little attention. No one signed a mask vs mask this time, which means I’ll have a slower weekend this time (hooray.) This is what I’ve spotted so far:
- As part of the CMLL/3M partnership (see: ads on Sombra’s shirt), they’re holding a mask creating contest. The twist: 90% of the mask must be made of duck tape. Winner to be announced September 7th.
- La Comandante is headed to Japan. That article is non-specific about where and when, but REINA’s blog explains she’s headed over there in August, probably for a three month stint.
- “Tiger Kid” has switched his name to “Tiger”. Why? Why? Also, why? At least we’ll never have to figure out how many d’s there are in Kidd that week, but I prefer non generic names.
- Naito arrived, gaining an extra h in his name. Hector Garza, wearing a shiny suit, is going to Japan from July 8 to the 19th.
- CMLL will award the 3rd Bobby Bonales Cup, a trophy that goes to current legends, on July 1st (next Friday.) This sent to Blue Panther in 2009, and Negro Casas in 2010. Ultimo Guerrero? Atlantis? Felino?
Verano de Escandalo‘s poster (or at least the one AAA’s facebook just posted) seems to indicate TNA’s Mickie James is coming back for that show. The recap in the WON said AAA was happy with how the women’s match went and were interested in bringing them back after the match. Pretty amusing that AAA had a finish Mickie James beating Fabi Apache and weren’t planning to actually get the win back for their own luchadora (but too usual to be fake.)
The price of the IWL iPPV has been fixed to $10. Now we’re in “maybe if I’m bored and laying on my couch watching fireworks thru the skylight” range.
Tonight is the end of Forjando un Idolo, unless they figure out a new way to remix the tournament again. (My guess: cibernetico!) It’s team Charly of Atlantis, Guerrero Maya, and Delta (and coach Shocker) versus team Alfa of Negro Casas, Diamante and Hijo del Signo. I’m guessing Alfa pulls it out, showing much better in teamwork than they fared individually.
Atlantis, Ultimo Guerrero, Rayo de Jalisco and Super Porky are advertised as appearing in southern Wisconsin and Chicago this weekend. Atlantis himself mentioned the dates on Twitter – the only problem is Ultimo Guerrero is clearly listed on Sunday’s Arena Coliseo card in DF. Planes can go fast nowadays, but not that fast. When there’s been a conflict between outside dates and DF dates, the DF date usually wins, so I expect no Ultimo Guerrero in Chicago on Sunday (and possibly no Ultimo Guerrero on Saturday.) The other three guys are not known to be booked elsewhere.
La Mascara says the commission wanted to stop the mask match when he started to bleed, but he insisted on going on; no one wanted the match to end that way. Mascara would still like to challenge for Ultimo Guerrero’s title, but will take care of the Hijos del Averno for the time being.
Mephisto says Averno is still leader of the group and La Mascara just got lucky.
Rafa el Maya says he was starting work in his other job Saturday – he’s a taxi driver – when he had chest pains. His brother has suffered two heart attacks, so he was immediately concerned and got checked out by a doctor. They’re still studying if he’ll be safe to return to the ring; if not, he’ll just drive the taxi full time. It’ll be a few more months before he’s cleared either way.
Rob has video of TripleMania III-A (1995).
Nikita watches El Hijo del Santo & Villano III vs Chris Benoit & Negro Casas.
- Tiger (Kid) says he’s five steps ahead of Metal Blanco.
- La Parka is sad about his brother turning on him.
- Lily Fighter talks up the DTU charity show this Sunday.
- Emilio Charles Jr., looking in much better health these days, talks about Bestia Salvaje.
- El Hijo del Santo and El Hijo del El Hijo del Santo talk on a Mexico City comic con panel.
- El Hijo del Santo’s show focused on one of his father’s movies.
- Blue Demon Jr. is calling the UK Lucha Future shows “NWA Mexico” shows. London is not really Mexico. If you’re in the area and want to see Turbo vs Black Thunder live, you really should check it out this weekend.
- R de Rudo filed their anti-report of TripleMania.