CMLL (FRI) 06/17/2011 Arena Mexico [Cesar, CMLL, CMLL Gaceta (6), Estrellas del Ring, Record (1-5), Record (6), SuperLuchas]
***Juicio Final, 2011***
1) Metro & Stuka Jr. b Shigeo Okumura & Yoshihashi
tecnicos take fall 1/3.
2) Rey Bucanero, Terrible, Texano b Brazo de Plata, Hijo del Fantasma, Valiente
TRT takes fall 1/3, with a superbomb on Super Porky to take the match.
3) Diamante, Hijo del Signo, Negro Casas b Blue Panther, Fuego, Pólvora [Forjando un Idolo]
Team Negro Casas took the last two falls. They advance to next week’s final, a bit of redemption after neither Diamante nor Signo made the semifinals in the individual version of this tournament. Fuego & Polvora continue to get approval for their team work.
4) Atlantis, Delta, Guerrero Maya Jr. DQ Ángel de Oro, Rey Escorpion, Último Guerrero [Forjando un Idolo]
Guerrero Maya worked against Ultimo Guerrero in the opening mat work and impressed. Straight falls for the Atlantis crew. Big tease of UG vs Atlantis in the second, Atlantis got UG in the Atlantida, and Rey Escorpion fouled him for the DQ. Atlantis & UG were fine after the match, but Oro & Ultimo Guerrero were angry at Rey Escorpion again. Escorpion kissed UG’s boots to apologize. Team Shocker/Atlantis goes onto next week’s final.
5) La Sombra, Rush, Strong Man b Mephisto, Mr. Niebla, Shinsuke Nakamura
Tecnicos took 2/3. Mephisto was wearing an Averno/Mephisto fused mask. Tirantes refereed this match, but not the main event.
6) La Máscara b Averno [mask]
Babe Richard was the referee. Big entrances for both men. Mascara had Brazo de Oro in his corner, Averno had both Ephesto and Mephisto with him to the ring, though Ephesto went to the back during the match. Other wrestlers were watching the match, Shocker most visibly. Mascara started the match with the Brazo de Oro/Mascara split mask he’d worn in some of the vignettes, but also started the match with a tope towards Averno. Averno was ready, and hit Mascara with a metal object, causing Mascara to bleed. Quick first fall for Averno via Devil’s Wings, and Mascara snuck out the second fall with a small package. Long third fall, both guys surviving each other’s and their own usual finishers, including Mascara kicking after a super Devil’s Wings. Mascara finally got Averno with two Devil’s Wings and then the campana for the win. Crowd was way behind Averno to start, but at least some of them came around to Mascara by the second fall – mostly a female supporters. Ephesto & Mephesto unmasked Averno, who is Renato Ruiz Cortez, 34 years old, 16 years a wrestler. Averno gave credit to Mascara for being the better man on this day and left without giving interviews to the press. He’s got a mohawk, partially dyed white. Mascara celebrates with Brazo de Oro, Maximo and Super Brazo.
Referee Rafa el Maya was shown at the show, now out of the hospital. CMLL was back to having two referees in the ring for matches, which came into play with the one DQ (one ref was looking at the people outside the ring, Tigre Hispano spotted the foul.) Attendance guesses range from 80% to ‘all the tickets were sold!’
The two matches that seem to have the most interest are Mesias vs LA Park, which should close the show, and Zorro vs Jeff Jarrett. Every indication has been the AAA/TNA storyline is just beginning, and I’d expect many of tonight’s results to reflect that. Mesias and Park is probably going to be about topping their match from Guerra de Titanes as much as even the finish. I think the ladder match has a chance to steal some attention, because it’ll surely be as violent as anything on this show.
There are few tickets left for the show. Sounds like someone people will be able to watch the show in Panama. At a spot show Friday night in Puebla, Electroshock promised a surprise for the Maniacos at tonight’s show.
AAA has launched their redesigned website in time with tonight’s show. It seems more finished than most redesigned lucha libre websites, though there’s still data holes. Of note, the first post-TripleMania taping is listed as 06/30 in Tizayuca, which I believe is differently than what was mentioned on TV. The judges for the Corona wrestler search appear to have changed as well, now to Konnan, Fabi Apache and el Apache.
CMLL in NJPW
06/18: Mascara Dorada b Ryusuku Taguchi [CMLL WELTER] (8:26)
New champion! Dorada really had to win; it was his third title match in NJPW in six months, and he’d lost the last two. If I had remembered to preview this match, I would’ve been a bit unsure on Taguchi losing, because of the Universal title tournament and it seemed like he might be the next title contender to Devitt’s title. The last part of it’s no longer an issue – it ain’t Devitt’s title no more – but the first part is still a bit confusing.
Current CMLL Champions
- Ultimo Guerrero (CMLL Heavy, CMLL Tag)
- Rush (CMLL LH, MEX Trios)
- Jushin Liger (CMLL Middle)
- Mascara Dorada (CMLL Welter, CMLL TRIOS)
- Virus (CMLL SL)
- Dragon Rorjo Jr. (CMLL TAG)
- Rey Bucanero or Hijo del Fantasma (NWA LH)
- Averno (NWA Middleweight) – no hint of a title match here, by the way
- Sombra (NWA Welterweight, CMLL TRIOS)
- La Mascara (MEX LH, CMLL TRIOS)
- Valiente (MEX Welter)
- Diamante (MEX Trios)
- Angel de Oro (MEX Trios)
That leaves us 3 short of enough to run a Universal tournament. Which is supposed to be happening any week now.
Mascara Dorada, who did challenge throw out a challenge to Prince Devitt in his post match interview (only for Kota Ibushi to beat Devitt first), has three more shows to go before coming home, a trios tournament that starts Tuesday.
Ras de Lona didn’t have any news. Ultimo Guerrero was just as unhappy about Atlantis going against him here. Someone dug out Rencor Latino clips (a tag match with Tigre Blanco, which I can’t find in the db) to show, as well as his first match as Averno, as he and his father talked about the mask match. An emotional Brazo de Oro gave Mascara his gold arm sleeve and a Brazo de Oro/Mascara mask to wear. Friday night highlights were only of the Forjando matches.
Not exactly sure when I’ll get the chat going, but it’ll be on by 8:30 pm CT. This may also be a long night.
- Comando Negro plays around with the idea of switch to the tecnico side. Don’t.
- Latest El Hijo del Santo show.
- Estrellas del Ring visits the Mexico City comic con to visit with Hijo del Santo and the creators of Aventuras Enmascaradas.
- Mi Lucha Libre goes back to last year’s TripleMania.
- Canoe has a story about masks in wrestling.
- Ultimo Guerrero is #3 in Record’s rankings. Extreme Tiger & Mesias are 1 and 2, before tonight’s matches.
CMLL (TUE) 06/21/2011 Arena Mexico
1) Camaleón & Höruz vs Bronco & Ramstein
2) Ángel Azteca Jr., Pegasso, Rey Cometa vs Hooligan, Nitro, Skándalo
3) Blue Panther, Fuego, Sangre Azteca vs Dr. X, Ephesto, Felino
4) Hijo del Fantasma vs Rey Bucanero [NWA LH]
5) Ángel de Oro, La Sombra, Strong Man vs Mr. Niebla, Rey Escorpion, Shinsuke Nakamura
Why is the title match not the main event?
Fuego vs Dr. X continues.
Interestingly, over on Ras de Lona, the main event was Strong Man, Sombra, Angel de Oro vs Mr. Niebla, Naito, Rey Escorpion. Did someone get the Japanese guys mixed up? The NJPW results sounds like Naito might have been written out for the time, and there was the one mention a few weeks ago of Naito coming back here soon, but that was never mentioned again.
CMLL (FRI) 06/24/2011 Arena Mexico
1) Molotov & Super Halcon Jr. vs Artillero & Súper Comando
2) Dark Angel, Goya Kong, Marcela vs Amapola, Estrellita, Princesa Sugheit
3) Metro, Sagrado, Stuka Jr. vs Misterioso Jr., Shigeo Okumura, Virus
4) Valiente vs Pólvora [lightning]
5) Atlantis, Delta, Guerrero Maya Jr. vs Diamante, Hijo del Signo, Negro Casas [Forjando un Idolo]
6) Averno, Dragón Rojo Jr., Último Guerrero vs La Máscara, Máximo, Super Porky
That should be the final for Forjando un Idolo, unless they can figured out another format.