taped 2011-05-31 @ Arena Coliseo Guadalajara
- Averno lost his mask! Every day before, he prepared by doing an interview saying he wasn’t going to WWE, and every day after, he faced La Mascara in some sort of trios match. The mask match will air sometime before the heat death of the universe.
- At TripleMania, LA Park took Mesias’ hair, Jeff Jarrett took the AAA World Title, and Dr. Wagner took the main event win. This aired live.
- Both shows drew well! Hooray accounting balance books.
- Tony Rivera let a blockade of Arena Mexico, restricting access all the way up to the time where people would start to want to have access, then leaving and promising more if he did not get a payoff. There has been no more notice, and Tony Rivera has returned to wrestling indy matches like all of that happened with some other Tony Rivera.
- AAA lost TV in the US. No one seems to have noticed, except all the people emailing me about it. Maybe when you say you’re going to HD after TripleMania, you should go to HD after TripleMania?
- IWL is running in an internet PPV.
- Verano de Escandalo was announced for 07/31 in Guadalajara.
- Perros del Mal also won the new AAA Trios title, but Perro Aguyao Jr. is back in the hospital with fall back into his previous issues. What exactly his previous issues are are still up for debate.
- Team Charly won Forjando un Idolo. Shocker is a coaching genius.
- Mascara Dorada won his CMLL welterweight title back to cap off his extended stay in NJPW
- Virus defeated Guerrero Maya to win the vacant CMLL (Super?) Lightweight championship
- Rey Bucanero defeated Hijo del Fantasma who won the NWA LH championship
- Blue Demon, Casandro and others went to England, and Casnadro picked up the NWA Welterweight title. Always heard the shopping in London was fantastic.
- Taboo was revealed to be La Parka’s brother. Children had their bikes broken before being kidnapped.
- Cibernetico has an ax, never ever hits anyone one with the blade part.
- Unrelated to the last two bits, Mesias was not kidnapped. Nothing to see in this bullet point, move on.
- Astro Boy jumped to AAA, now named Argos
- Rafa el Maya suffered a heart attack. He recovered, but still is out action.
- Diamante is out six weeks with multiple toe injuries.
- Jack Evans is busy in TNA and NOAH (with Aerostar and Rocky Marvin.)
- Masked Warriors finished taping it’s second season, announced a third season, still hasn’t aired anything in a long time
- Arkangel anniversary show announced for 07/17.
- Pantera, who now is wearing his mask for no reason and almost no one complained about Silver King did the same is complaining now and how weird is that?, won Rey del Ring in IWRG.
- Lucha POP announced their first show
- Nakamura came and went. Naito is here now. La Comandante, Strong Man and Hector Garza are heading out.
- Pollo Asesino is crazy.
- Juvi is back around and doing stuff. Super X to return and such.
- Tiger Kid decided his name was not generic enough and became Tiger. An annoying blogger has complained about this five times and really needs to let it go already.
Lucha POP (“Promotion Original Pro-Lucha”) held their debut press conference. It’s a new promotion, being run by people who, at least in part, used to be part of DTU. Their debut show has a lot of the familiar names:
LUCHA POP (SUN) 07/17/2011 Arena Lopez Mateos
1) Ashely vs Megan, Keira, Vanely, Chica Tormenta, Shitara, La Vaquerita, Yuki Star, Lily Fighter [POP WOMEN]
2) Dizzy & Kaliburz vs Arana de Plata & Impluso
3) Zumbi vs Último Gladiador
4) Eterno vs Celestial vs ?
5) Fenix (AAA) & Samuray del Sol vs Dark Dragon & Shiima Xion
6) Extreme Tiger vs Joe Lider
Lineup here. The Traumas were at the press conference and are announced as part of the promotion, but don’t have a match so far. They’re trying to differenate themselves by not just being a hardcore promotion (though that’s the main event), trying to push “all the styles there are.” They’ll be working with AAA, and bringing in people from US promotions (CZW and CHIKARA mentioned), and they’ll be doing a talent search in August. Their shows will be taped for DVD, and available thru Smart Mark Video. They plan to not only run in Mexico City, but around the county and even want to go to the US indies.
LA Park crows to the press about how he’s won every feud he’s been in since coming to AAA: he destroyed La Parka and massacred Mesias, and Dr. Wagner is next. After TripleMania, he and Dr. Wagner were back to teasing that a mask match between them for TripleMania XX, and that’s hinted at here again. I’m sure AAA will want to do something crazy big for the round number, but I ignored them because they’ve been making those challenges for the better part of a decade now and they have less of a chance of working out a finish than ever – LA Park can’t lose his mask to Wagner, and Wagner won’t want to lose his mask any time soon the way things are going for him. Anyway, I love how the Parka/Park rematch has been wiped from the history books when the opposite was supposed to happen; it’s only the difference between doing a match on TV and on the biggest show of the year.
A thread on Box Y Lucha attempting to expose the two mystery CMLL wrestlers who had a tryout on the same AAA TV taping as Argos/Astro Boy. If you recall, the story was SuperLuchas (and others) realized that among the many people in a tryout match were two current CMLL luchadors using other gimmicks to hide their identities (which obviously didn’t go well.) SuperLuchas did not publish the name, not wanting to cause trouble for those luchadors, but this one of those things people like to whisper about. The thread outs the two as Semental and Mortiz. My information is that Semental was one of the two, but Mortiz was not the other one. It was someone else in that group of opening match guys who are probably sick of being opening match guys by this point. I would not be surprised if Mortiz also had a tryout at some point, since he worked with some of those who are now in AAA, while he was still in Tijuana.
Semental was a real eye opener. Those of you who read this blog but don’t dig into the videos may not be too familiar with him (AAA wasn’t), but he’s a very talented young rudo who’s really as or more skilled the guys who were in Forjando un Idolo and has an eye catching mask (thanks to the double horns.) He’s undersized, but no different in that a lot of guys, and he looks smoother than most. It’s a treat when Semental turns up on TV. He’s also another guy from La Laguna, which implies an Ultimo Guerrero connection, so my assumption was CMLL was just stashing him in the opening matches before giving him a new gimmick (which would’ve been a shame), but one day he’d just suddenly be in a midcard group, following a Euforia-like path. Clearly, he must not have that same feeling. It’s kind of stunning, and made me reevaulate which guys actually might be allied with other guys.
Anyway, this is all frivolous. The outcome, and I believe this was mentioned in the WON as well, is that everyone (but Argos) ended up going back to CMLL for better pay and at least a promise of a better position. And I suspect we’ll continue to see wrestlers try to play the promotions against each other.
Other contractual issues: One thing I haven’t figured out about the Jack Evans/TNA deal: if he’s allowed to work in the US, does that mean all of AAA is no longer restricted by the contract they signed that handed over US promoting rights to another country, or is Evans somehow excepted? (He did work Dragon Gate USA previously when all AAA guys should’ve been prohibited.) In that same vein, this week’s WON mentions TNA talked to Zorro again about coming in, but that was before the TripleMania issues and he’s not mentally into wrestling right now due to family issues.
As recently as Monday, there were advertisements for a CMLL show in San Luis Potosi on Wednesday. (If you guessed the main event involved La Mascara and Averno, you have been paying attention the last two weeks.) Except, when people went to buy tickets, the ticket office said the show was canceled, and maybe they’d be back in August.
LuchaWorld has KrisZ’s news update.
- Perro del Mal is promoting it’s next show as against XPW.
- Psycho Circus hold two of the top five spots in Record’s rankings.
- Taboo talks TripleMania.
- Flamita talks about his families history in lucha
- Black Mamba talks about his experience at the AAA tryouts
- Ludwing Star & Astaroth won Acapulco’s version of Gran Alternativa. Still think Guadalajara should do one of these.
- SuperLuchas has Dr. Wagner III‘s San Diego debut and Blue Demon & Casandro in Europe
- Mi Lucha Libre looks back at Los Fantasticos
CMLL (TUE) 07/05/2011 Arena Mexico
***Fan Apperciation Day, July (TUE)***
1) Aereo & Pequeño Halcón vs Mercurio & Pequeño Nitro
2) Hombre Bala Jr., Metatrón, Soberano Jr. vs Apocalipsis, Bobby Zavala, Bronco
3) Ángel de Plata, Fuego, Sagrado vs Dr. X, Hooligan, Loco Max
4) Metal Blanco, Metro, Palacio Negro vs Misterioso II, Pólvora, Yoshihashi
5) Ángel de Oro, Rush, Toscano vs Héctor Garza, Mr. Niebla, Negro Casas
Another fan appreciation show, but Dr. X and Fuego are still stuck in trios.
CMLL (TUE) 06/28/2011 Arena Mexico [CMLL, Record]
1) Camaleón & Robin b Disturbio & Semental
2) Dragon Lee, Starman, Super Halcon Jr. b Inquisidor, Puma King, Tiger Kid
Tecnicos took 1/3.
3) Fuego, Sagrado, Stuka Jr. DQ Arkángel de la Muerte, Dr. X, Skándalo
Straight falls, Dr. X fouling Fuego for the DQ, then taking his mask after the match.
4) Black Warrior, Blue Panther, Toscano b Histeria, Olímpico, Psicosis
Tecnicos take falls 2/3.
5) Dragón Rojo Jr., Naito, Último Guerrero b Delta, Máximo, Super Porky
Dragon Rojo replaced Rey Escorpion. Rudos took 2/3, Rojo cutting off Delta with a dropkick and Naito landing his top rope senton giro on Maximo.
CMLL (TUE) 06/28/2011 Arena Coliseo Guadalajara [Fuego en el Ring]
1) Metalik b Acertijo
2) Evola b Virgo
3) Estrellita, La Comandante, Tiffany b Dalys la Caribeña, Goya Kong, Marcela
4) Ángel de Oro, Gallo, Metro DQ Cancerbero, Shigeo Okumura, Virus
Metro replaced double booked Fuego. Okumura fouled Gallo in the third.
5) Héctor Garza, Mr. Águila, Mr. Niebla b La Máscara, La Sombra, Máscara Dorada
Rudos didn’t always get along but did take falls 1 and 3, Aguila & Garza beating Sombra with a foul in the third
Cleaning up Puebla results: Angel de Plata was the replacement for Diamante, but Delta also was replaced by Fantasma and the tecnicos actually lost that semimain (via Porra Fresa.) Rudos took the women’s, minis and local matches, with Marcela filling in for Luna Magic and no new feuds.
Jack Evans did appear on last night’s TNA taping (airing July 7th), where he won a shot to appear on their PPV the following Sunday (07/10). That seems to mean Thursday’s AAA TV taping could be the last Jack will be on for quite a while. The Veracruz taping is the night before the TNA show (no idea if he can do both) he and Aerostar wi’ll definitely miss Orizaba and Tulancingo while in NOAH, and it’ll be a tight fit to make it back from the last day of the tournament on the 30th to Guadalajara on the 31st for Verano de Escandalo.
La Parka has disowned his brother, but is angry Taboo and Cibernetico are not on Thursday’s TV taping. He wants revenge.
In Guatemala, Amapola defeated Marcela to keep the CMLL Women’s Title. That appears to be Amapola’s 23rd defense, 12th over Marcela.
Box Y Lucha #3032 has Ultimo Guerrero teasing the break up of the Guerreros again. I have no idea if this is a storyline that only exists in the magazines or if they just published the same teases a week late.
Rob posted video highlights from Guerra de Titanes 2010.
- AAA posted a recap of Zorro vs Jeff Jarrett
- Ultimo Dragon wrestled in Tijuana
- Juvi promotes his wrestling school.
- A young luchador tournament is being set up in Oaxaca.
- Guadalajara is hosting a lucha libre art festival.
- DJ Spectro points to video of Canek vs Mil Mascara vs Cibernetico vs Cobarde II
CMLL (MON) 07/04/2011 Arena Puebla
1) Asturiano, Black Tiger, Stigma vs Akron, Espiritu Maligno, Sauron
2) Metatrón, Pegasso, Rey Cometa vs Inquisidor, Puma King, Tiger Kid
3) Fuego, Sagrado, Stuka Jr. vs Hijo del Signo, Misterioso Jr., Pólvora
4) Blue Panther, Máscara Dorada, Rush vs Naito, Shigeo Okumura, Yoshihashi
5) Averno vs La Máscara [NWA MIDDLE]
One final bit of business to clear up before splitting (unless they start advertising this match everywhere.) I hope La Mascara can make the cut from light heavyweight to middleweight in time! The odd bit of CMLL TV scheduling is we don’t get to see the mask match for six months, but the title match rematch of that will air free on TVC Deportes in a week or so.
(This should be good, but I’d be the fans here would still very much like a Puebla guy vs anyone feud this month.)
Unlike Goto or Nakamura, Naito looks willing to team with Yoshihashi. He may never go home at this rate.
CMLL (TUE) 07/05/2011 Arena Coliseo Guadalajara
1) El Divino vs Relampago
2) Robin & Virgo vs Acertijo & Camorra
3) Starman & Super Halcon Jr. vs León Blanco & Malefico
4) Delta, Gallo, Magnus vs Euforia, Pólvora, Virus
5) La Máscara, La Sombra, Máscara Dorada vs Felino, Héctor Garza, Rey Bucanero
Sort of rematch. Perhaps Garza is being set up for a trios shot here? Not with any of his usual partners, which seems about right.
CMLL (SUN) 06/26/2011 Arena Coliseo Guadalajara [Fuego en el Ring]
1) El Divino & Hierro b Ángel del Mal & In Memoriam
2) Mr. Trueno & Rey Trueno b Apocalipsis & Mortiz
Mortiz was stretchered out after a Rey Trueno powerbomb.
3) Ángel Azteca, Guerrero Maya Jr., Starman b Arkángel de la Muerte, Ráfaga, Skándalo
Guerrero Maya was the big hero for his team.
4) Metal Blanco b Tiger Kid [OCCIDENTE WELTER]
Metal Blanco took falls 1/3 to keep the title.
5) Naito, Terrible, Texano b Hijo del Fantasma, Rush, Toscano
Naito got along with his partners and beat Fantasma.
Tiger is convinced he won the match, is the uncrowned champion, and challenged Metal Blanco to a mask match. There’s no explanation of why Tiger thinks these things, but he wants a rematch in Arena Mexico and then another one here.
CMLL (MON) 06/27/2011 Arena Puebla [Cinco Radio]
3) Astral, Bam Bam, Eléctrico b Demus 3:16, Pequeño Nitro, Pierrothito
4) Ángel de Oro, Delta, Angel de Plata?
Diamante b Felino, Pólvora, Rey Escorpion
Felino replaced Misterioso. Not sure what the deal is with Diamante’s replacement – Angel de Oro is listed twice.
5) La Máscara, La Sombra, Rush b Averno, Mephisto, Mr. Niebla
Mascara got Averno with a campana. Another mask vs hair challenge.
Diamante suffered a fracture of his 3 of his toes and dislocation of another on Friday night, which will leave him out of action for five to six weeks. Toe injuries are pretty rare.
Juvi explains he’s facing Super Crazy because they have unresolved issues over the Mexicools not becoming the biggest faction in all of wrestling. It’s all Super Crazy’s fault, Juvi explains. (Juvi also takes credit for opening doors for Sin Cara & Alberto del Rio being in WWE. I’ve missed Juvi.) Meanwhile, Perros del Mal are talking about taking over Super X.
Arkangel’s 7/17 anniversary show will include an Arkangel tournament (the cibernetico?) and an exhibition by his students. On his blog, Mr. Cacao thanks CMLL for allowing him to return for the trios main event with Arkangel.
CMLL hype for the Dr. X vs Fuego feud mentions Fuego was supposed to be thinking about turning rudo (to continue the team with Polvora.) Hadn’t considered that. Anyway, he’s a tecnico because Dr. X keeps messing with him.
Rob has highlight video of Rey Del Aire 2011! That’s quick turnaround.
- Lady Apache talks about training for a return.
- IWL has a video promo up for it’s July 3rd show.
- Argos talks about his upcoming DTU debut.
- Sugi & Ronin are leaving for Paris today for “Japan Expo”, will return on July 5.
- Record interviews Tony Rivera, only asks questions about Zumbido. That’s no good.
- The Gladiatores has a video interview with Maquina Infernal Jr. & Sr.
- R de Rudo is giving away a signed DTU shirt in a commenting contest.
- Brief notes about the Rayo de Jalisco movie.
- El Pancracio interviews Sepulcro Jr.
- Nikita reviews Mascara Dorada vs TAKA Michinoku
indy (SUN) 07/03/2011 Arena Coliseo Monterrey
1) Dangerous & Galactar vs Androide & Rey Sagitario
2) Hijo del Ninja, Humberto Garza Jr., Ninja Jr. vs Neurosis, Sky, the Beast
3) Golden Boy, Rey Demonio, Simbolo vs Angel Dorado Jr., Dralion, Máscara Púrpura
Start of a new era show, so I could be bothered to suss out the alignments and post the lineup. I hope this works for them, but I kind of wonder if the problem with this arena is there is no long term continuity of luchadors. There’s vast turnover around ever three weeks, it’s got to be hard to form a connection being gone for three month stretches.
Super X (FRI) 07/15/2011 Arena Azteca Budokan
1) Eterno vs Daga
2) Marcela vs Rossy Moreno [GPCW WOMEN, tournament]
3) Histeria II, Oriental, Zumbido vs ?, Súper Nova, Zumbi
4) Villano IV & Villano V vs Negro Navarro & Solar I
5) Juventud Guerrera vs Super Crazy [NWE CRUISER]
Not sure how the women’s tournament works or if there are any more matches than that. The GPCW SUPER-X Monster Championship, I’m sure you recall, was part of the initial tournament for the AAA World Heavyweight Championship. Perros del Mal actually showing up would be sort of interesting with the CMLL-allied talent on the show (but then, Super Crazy is already there.)
CMLL Guerreros del Ring on 52MX: 2011-06-25
taped 2011-06-19 @ Arena Mexico
1) Blue Panther, Super Porky, Toscano vs Ephesto, Héctor Garza, Psicosis
2) La Máscara, Máximo, Strong Man vs Averno, Dragón Rojo Jr., Shinsuke Nakamura
CMLL on Televisa: 2011-06-25
taped 2011-01-01 @ Arena Mexico
1) Ángel de Oro vs Virus, Delta, Pólvora, Diamante, Cancerbero, Ángel de Plata, Arkángel de la Muerte, Fuego, Raziel, Rey Cometa, Puma King, Molotov, Escorpion, Sensei, Tiger Kid in a CMLL’s Reyes del Aire Tournament match
CMLL on Teleformula: 2011-06-26
taped 2011-05-03 @ Arena Coliseo Guadalajara
1) Cancerbero, Loco Max, Pólvora vs Ángel de Oro, Delta, Magnus
2) La Sombra, Rush, Toscano vs Mr. Águila, Olímpico, Psicosis
CMLL on LATV: 2011-06-25 (Cadena 3 2011-06-10)
taped 2011-06-07 @ Arena Mexico
1) Ayumi, Dalys la Caribeña, Marcela vs La Comandante, Mima Shimoda, Princesa Sugheit
2) Fuego, Metal Blanco, Palacio Negro vs Arkángel de la Muerte, Dr. X, Skándalo
3) Hijo del Fantasma vs Mr. Águila, La Máscara, Psicosis, Olímpico, Toscano, Metro, Ephesto in a cibernetico semfinal for the NWA World Light Heavyweight Championship match
4) Guerrero Maya Jr. vs Virus for the CMLL World Super Lightweight Championship
(clippy LATV version)
ACM was a rerun.