CMLL held a press conference this afternoon, to hype upcoming events.
- CMLL’s final major show of the year (Sin Piedad) will take place on 12/03. It’ll be a double main event of Electrico vs Pequeno Warrior in a mask vs mask match, and Mr. Aguila vs Rey Bucanero in a hair vs hair match.
Electrico, who must be a favorite to win the bodybuilding contest in the minis division, has never had a singles apuesta match (though he’s been in some of the massive cage ones.) “Pequeno Warrior” defeated Bracito de Oro for his mask earlier this year. Prior to that, he lose his mask as Mini Psicosis back in 2005. He remasked far sooner than allowed under lucha commission regulations, but he would lose his mask outside that window, if it he is the loser. Warrior is threatening to teach Electrico respect for his elders.
Rey Bucanero vs Mr. Aguila is actually a rematch from four years ago. Back then, Bucanero & Tarzan Boy defeated Damian 666 & Mr. Aguila, back when Mr. Aguila’s invading faction was Los Perros del Mal. Aguila hasn’t lost yet, but hasn’t been in one. Bucanero lost his hair, teaming with Lizmark Jr. vs Shocker & Black Warrior, where the match changed greatly at the last minute.
Mr. Aguila made his flight this time and signed the contract.
- Yes, another tournament. Copa Junior, last seen in 2006, makes another return this December. Tournament will have blocks on 12/10 and 12/17 with the final on a special Christmas Day show on 12/25. (Friday show being moved to Saturday.)
Copa Junior is a tournament exclusively for second (or more) generation luchadors. It should not be hard for CMLL to find 16 of those – it’ll be hard to only pick 16. The reigning Copa Junior champion is Dos Caras Jr. I’m under the impression he will not be defending the title. Other past winners are Emilio Charles Jr. in 1996 and Shocker in 2005.12/10 Block: Volador Jr., Olimpico, Rush, Dragon Rojo Jr. (fake junior), Sombra, Felino, La Mascara, Mephisto, Maximo, Shocker12/17 Block: Mistico (Dr. Karonte exists!), Texano, Rotoporky, Averno, Angel de Oro, Hector Garza, Delta, Misterioso, Hijo del FantasmaEdit: If I count, that’s 9 in each block. I guess I shouldn’t count! If you count, that’s 10 in Block A. The news bit says they’ll have 20. Anyway, there’s something with the winner of the battle royal goes to the end, but it doesn’t really make since with 10 a block. Guess we’ll see.
By my count, this is the 8th tournament this year:
- Mexico National Trios (finished in 2010)
- National Parajes Incrieble Tournament
- Gran Alternativa
- CMLL Universal
- Copa Bicentario (minis)
- Copa Bicentario (major)
- Arena Coliseo Tag #1 Contenders
Also, there was a random trios tournament on 08/13 and GDL had the Occidente LH tournament.
- Mascara Dorada is no longer a Mexican National Trios champion. Dorada just explained he had to focus on other things. In a complete change from the norm, Metro & Stuka will get to continue being champions, and there will be a poll on CMLL.com to determine the new member of the team. You can’t see this, because this is text on your screen, but I am rubbing my hands together while smiling evilly.
There is no lucha libre commission. Fantasma has the best job ever.
- CMLL participation in NJPW was announced.
For the 01/04 Toyko Dome: Hector Garza (???), Strongman, Sombra and Mascara Dorada
For the 01/22 & 01/23 NJPW/CMLL shows: Maximo, Atlantis, Sombra, Okumura, La Mascara, Taichi, Averno, and Mascara Dorada will represent CMLL. The NJPW press release specifically mentioned Mistico, but he went unmentioned here. I don’t like the idea that Taichi counts as one of CMLL.Rematch of Mascara/Sombra/Dorada vs Taichi/Okumura/Tanahashi for the CMLL Trios titles?
- Dorada & Terrible’s returns are unclear, but Mephisto is on target to wrestle tomorrow. No one mentioned Pegasso :(
- Other schedule changes: 12/12 (Sunday @ Coliseo) will be the fan appreciation show, 01/09 (Sunday) will probably also be since it’s in Arena Mexico, and 01/07 (Friday) will be a Dia de Reyes show. The Friday shows on 12/24 and 12/31 will be pushed to 12/25 and 01/01.
- Rayo de Jalisco will appear in Arena Coliseo Guadalajara on 12/05.
Fuego en el Ring has a good interview with Texano talking about his tour in NJPW. He was proud to be in the heavyweight division instead of the usual Mexican as a junior heavyweight. He says Terrible got hurt in the match with Giant Bernard and Karl Anderson. That match was on 11/01 – Terrible wrestled four more matches. Texano still feels like he’s getting used back to the pace of lucha libre after being in Japan, but is aiming at the world tag team titles once Terrible come back.
A poster on Box Y Luchas says they talked to Ultimo Guerrero about his triple b0oking. Ultimo Guerrero said he will be in Toluca, Ephesto will take his place in Chilpancingo, and he’s not certain about Arena Mexico.
Tercera Caida has all you need to know about the last week in 10 minutes. This is a very good idea.
- Jack Evans says he learned how to dance because he wanted to win a breakdancing contest. Someone should make a Jack Evans movie.
- Dr. Cerebro lost his hair in Tampico. This was the promotion that canceled it’s show last month due to security instability – guess things got better?
- Mi Lucha Libre has a good interview with Nicho, which starts out about life for him outside the ring.
- Will there be a new Bizarro tonight?
- Saturno has surfaced in the land of all the abandoned Arena Coliseo Guadalajara luchadors, Arena Roberto Paz.
- Estrellas del Ring interviews Voltaje and Electro from Cuernavaca.
- Cesar looks at Volador and Sombra‘s new moves. Has Volador used that move outside of that one match?
- Nikita watches Gran Apache/Trauma2/Mari vs Fabi/Trauma1/Navarro and Terrible & Texano vs Tajiri & Tanahashi
- Part one of the AAA vs IWRG trainees is up on YouTube
- The latest Perros del Mal podcast is up.