I updated the post below with a better take on Mistico’s complaints about CMLL. Take a look at the article yourself and tell me who you think he’s calling out.
Edit: now updated with details from CMLL.com and elsewhere.
This is what I got off CMLL’s Twitter feed, a few more things may always turn up later.
The big news is the Invasors vs Pesta Negra hair match was finally set up. It was originally announced as Mr. Aguila & Charly Manson vs Rey Bucanero & Negro Casas, but Mr. Aguila missed his flight. (????) For some reason, even though plenty of people have missed this press conferences, that was enough for him to be out of the match. Rey & Negro both challenged Charly, and somehow we ended up with Negro Casas vs Charly Manson, with Charly vowing to get Rey’s hair next.
Yes, October 15th, two weeks later than we expected, and after the WWE tour instead of before. I guess the idea is that people are more likely to save money up for a WWE show and not go to events the next couple of weeks, but I don’t know that they’re going to want to spend extra money on a show one week after WWE comes thru either.
(Also, if it’s not until 10/15, couldn’t Aguila just sign the contract tomorrow? He just doesn’t want to put up his hair, you see.)
- The Arena Coliseo Tag Team titles are vacant again. Stuka & Fuego were the champs after winning the last tournament for the vacant titles, but haven’t defended them since Fuego was Flash. They’ve split those up (and seemingly given up on Fuego), so they’ll hold another tournament starting on 10/03. I think the problem with Flash & Stuka is they moved rapidly up after winning the titles, and CMLL didn’t want to lose them to someone who was beneath them. It’d be nice if they had a better long term plan this time, but since these titles should often go to luchadors on the rise, I’m expecting this problem to come up again.Edit: CMLL.com explains that it’s actually a #1 contenders tournament. So that last paragraph is mostly worthless. Oh well. Block A on 10/03, Block B on 10/10, final on 10/17, and title match on 10/24.
- Ex-AAAers Tiffany & Estrellita were introduced as new members of CMLL (though sort of Invasors.) Tiffany actually debuted last week and there’s been rumors of Estrellita coming in for months, back to when she no-showed her first big Perros del Mal show. It appears they’re both coming in as rudas – The Gladiatores quotes Estrellita talking about taking Dark Angel’s hair.
- With Lyger leaving on 10/01, his place will be taken by the returning Taichi. Eh. He returns on 10/04, to debut on the 10/08 show. There’s been no mention of Yoshihashi either way, which makes me now assume he’s actually staying.
- Lots of news about CMLL guys going to Japan as well. Terrible & Texano wil be part of NJPW’s G1 (Heavyweight) Tag League. The tour is listed as 10/22 to 11/07, not sure if that means they’ll be there the whole time. Those two were in Japan earlier this year to challenge No Limit for the IWGP Tag Titles and probably will pick that feud back up. Also, as leaked last week, Sombra & Mascara Dorada will head over for the Super J Tag League, which immediately follows the other tag league. CMLL wrestlers will also be on NJPW’s traditional 01/04 Tokyo Dome show WrestleKingdom), but names and matches were not mentioned.
- The bodybuilding contest will be in November. There’s a weekend where I’m unlikely to do any posts, and I hope that’s the weekend they show the video from that contest.