the big news of the day: after five years, you can buy Perro del Mal shirts from Los Perros. It’s not an actual webstore, you have to email them your credit card info, but any amount of progress is significant amount of progress around these parts.
- Notimex (no pick)
- ESTO (no pick)
- Rob (Mephisto over Olimpico)
- SuperLuchas (poll recap, but no pick – BOOOOOOO)
- Kcidis (picking Mr. Niebla or Olimpico to lose, maybe Mistico to win)
- The Gladiatores has a complete list of every Anniversary show main ever. Been looking for that for years.
- Sombra says he thought it was going to be him and Mistico vs the Invasors, but then realized Mistico is always dangerous, so he has no partners. Sombra says he’s NOT gunning for Volador’s mask; he has no hard feelings and thinks Volador will make a good rudo.
- Rob has inside info on how all the main event guys were preparing for the match.
- Mask Mania writes about Lyger’s participation in the main event.
IWRG (THU) 09/02 Arena Naucalpan [@gladiatores, Estrellas del Ring]
1) Tonatiuh b Volaris
2) Dinamic Black & Jack b Imposible & Nemesis
3) Eragon, Freelance, Hijo del Pantera b Carta Brava Jr., Comando Negro, Magia Negra
4) Fabi Apache, Mascarita Sagrada 2007, Pasion Kristal b Mini Abismo Negro, Sexy Star, Yuriko
5) Bombero Infernal, Hijo de Pirata Morgan, Pirata Morgan DQ Hijo de Máscara Año 2000, La Parka Jr., Máscara Año 2000 Jr.
Pirata Morgan and La Parka fouled each other at the same. Referee gave the match to Parka, much to Morgan’s annoyance.
Sexi Star pinned Fabi Apache to win the semimain, but Fabi visibly kicked out at 2. Hmmm.
Happy birthday, Black Terry.
CMLL.com is now saying the Copa Bicentario is a tag team tournament. This seemed It was originally announced clearly as a single rudo vs a single tecnico in the final, so plans have changed.
Yesterday’s Wrestling Observer Newsletter said Extreme Tiger & Jack Evans would be heading to Japan in October. Dorian Roldan confirms it’s for NOAH, who’s had a working agreement with AAA. They’ll be part of the juniors tag team tournament, which runs from 10/15 to 10/30. Jack is Jack, he’ll be fine as long as someone gets him his toast. There would’ve been a time where Extreme Tiger in NOAH would’ve be a LOLrific occasion, but I think he’ll survive okay now.
Lucha Libre USA finally put out a press release about the end of the first season. There’s nothing people who read these sorts of blogs don’t already know, but most people aren’t reading these sorts of blogs and are hearing about it for the first time. Still not even a hint of a return date, but if you’re looking for signs of survival, they do have a positive quote from an MTV2 official talking about growing the show. If they do eventually does end up turning out okay, they still executed a staggering ill thought out plan of how they handled ending the first season, which is consistent with other ways they’ve acted on a business side (see: every single venue they’ve run in.)
They still have one left over show before whatever happens next
MW (THU) 09/09 Whataburger Field, Corpus Christi, Texas
1) Mascarita Dorada & Octagoncito vs Pequeño Halloween & Torerito
2) Magno vs Súper Nova
3) Charly Malice vs Oriental
4) Azteko & Mini Park vs Chi Chi & Rosetta Park
5) Marco Corleone vs Lizmark Jr.
6) RJ Brewer vs Blue Demon Jr.
This is basically a house show lineup with the random addition of Blue Demon (maybe a local deal?) Marco and Lizmark would be the heavyweight final, if they were still doing the tournament. Rosetta Park is the Tigresa Caliente/Rhaka Khan replacement. Torerito is an obscure AAA mini from the late 90s; I thought it was Novillerito on the last taping. Maybe it is and he’s just using a different name here? Or maybe Torerito is actually someone else when he’s wearing a mask?
AAA hyped a summit between Los Perros, Legion, and the other members of La Sociedad taking place yesterday, and airing (sometime) on AAA TV. Rest assured, you’ll get segments of Dorian and Konnan talking on the show. (Hoping this is incredibly wacky.)