Espanto II, 78, passed away Saturday. He had heart problems and had been in the hospital on and off over the last three months.
Jose wrote a great bio for Espanto II years ago, worth reading if you haven’t already. The Espantos (I, II and III) were stars of 60s EMLL, and I & II sound like the greatest tag team of their time. The Espantos were not actually brothers, but did give the same last name after they were unmasked to pretend as if they were, and they were surely as close as brothers. I & II debuted with a 34 week winning streak, they were partners then enemies of El Santo and held the national tag team titles of that time. Espanto II lost his mask Ruben Juarez on September 6, 1963 in what may have been the anniversary main event for that year; much like what appears to be happening this year, EMLL also ran a major hair match later in September, with Espanto I avenging his ‘brother’ by taking Juarez’s hair.
The Espanto’s run was a short one by lucha standards – Espanto I was murdered in 1968, and the others scaled back their participation after, so it might have only been a 7 year peak run – but they were top stars during their time. Espanto III is still alive, and had talked to his old partner just this past week.
CMLL had a moment of applause for Espanto II during today’s Arena Coliseo show. I wouldn’t be surprised if they also mentioned him on the Anniversary show.
CMLL (SUN) 08/29 Arena Coliseo [@cmllmagazine]
1) Artillero & Súper Comando b Bengala & Robin
2) Ángel Azteca Jr., Brazo de Oro, Fabián el Gitano, Metálico b Arkángel de la Muerte, Dr. X, Hooligan, Nitro
3) Delta, Fuego, Metro b Euforia, Nosferatu, Pólvora
4) Blue Panther, Brazo de Plata, Toscano DQ Felino, Jushin Liger, Ray Mendoza Jr.
5) Charly Manson, Olímpico, Psicosis b Averno, Negro Casas, Rey Bucanero
6) Atlantis b Rayo de Jalisco Jr.
Atlantis got Rayo with a small package for the win. He must’ve gotten the mask or cheated somehow. Edit: CMLL.com confirms it was a legal win. I still don’t believe it.
Averno had Charly set up for the Devil’s Wings and the win, but Tirantes broke it up and the Invasores pulled his mask before rolling him up.
Rey Mendoza is still in the business of fouling Blue Panther whenever he gets the chance.
I have no idea why Brazo de Oro and Arkangel were added to the segunda. Oro got Nitro with a STF – maybe it was for Nitro complaining! They didn’t forget him tonight.
Bengala and Robin sounds like a Bangladesh Batman/Robin knockoff. They still lost. Is CMLL Militia vs AAA Militia a new dream match?
Volador hypes up the big cage match by promising to be the first one out. Fantastic action! He also accuses Sombra of not earing his spot by fighting on the undercard for long enough.
Dos de Tres has photos of Cibernetico & Sexi Star in the Un Romeo Muy Juliet play.
Kcidis draws AAA’s new military. Kind of.
This is very slightly to do with lucha libre, but Black Terry Jr. posted a series of videos from the Villano gym of students of various different martial arts fighting in mixed battles – they really should think of a short name for that. Anyway, what I’ve learned is that I can’t possibly learn Capoeria. It’s not because I don’t have the discipline or ability, but because I couldn’t do the wacky arm movements with a straight face.
Luchas 2000 #536 hypes the CMLL cage match. Same idea for SuperLuchas #379.
LuchaWorld has KrisZ’s news update with more on Espanto II.
IWRG (THU) 09/02 Arena Naucalpan
1) Tonatiuh vs King Dragon
2) Dinamic Black & Jack vs Imposible & Nemesis
3) Eragon, Freelance, Hijo del Pantera vs Carta Brava Jr., Comando Negro, Magia Negra
4) Fabi Apache, Mascarita Sagrada, Pasion Kristal vs Mini Abismo Negro, Sexy Star, Yuriko
5) Bombero Infernal, Hijo de Pirata Morgan, Pirata Morgan vs Hijo de Máscara Año 2000, La Parka Jr., Máscara Año 2000 Jr.
Not so much AAA vs IWRG if Parka is teaming with the Dinamitas. Maybe everyone will turn on him?
IWL (SAT) 09/04 Arena Lopez Mateos
1) Fantasma de la Ópera & Suicida vs Freelance & Naruto
2) Daga vs Eterno
3) Aeroboy & Violento Jack vs Bestia 666 & X-Fly
4) Lizzy Valentine & New York Knockout Nikki vs Flor Metalica & La Chola
5) Colt Cabana vs Adam Pearce [IWL WORLD, tournament]
6) Canek vs Gran Alebrije [IWL WORLD, tournament]
That’s what the poster says. The facebook entry right next to the poster says the women’s match is a singles match between the women, and the DTU team is actually a mystery. There will be lucha libre, I’m fairly certain of that. Even in the Canek/Gran Alebrije match.
If I was IWL booker (I don’t want to be IWL booker), I would have Canek vs Adam Pearce and Alebrije vs Colt Cabana. Cuije + Colt = $$$$. No word on Adam Pearce Shirt.
CMLL (SUN) 09/05 Arena Coliseo
1) Rayo Tapatío I & Rayo Tapatío II vs Mortiz & Semental
2) Molotov, Tigre Blanco, Tony Rivera vs Artillero, Puma King, Súper Comando
3) Fabián el Gitano, Pegasso, Rey Cometa vs Raziel, Virus, Yoshihashi
4) Sagrado, Toscano, Valiente vs Atlantis, Rey Bucanero, Último Guerrero
5) Averno, Ephesto, Mephisto vs Charly Manson, Mr. Águila, Olímpico
Tony Rivera’s back? I’m suspicious. Main event is a semi-rematch of this week’s semimain.
Ways you can tell the GDL show is the big show of the day: they’re having Yoshihashi wrestle in Mexico City instead.
IWRG (SUN) 09/05 Arena Naucalpan
1) Imperial vs Guerrero 2000
2) Dinamic Black & Super Halcon Jr. vs Carta Brava Jr. & Epidemia
3) Eragon, Freelance, Jack vs Magia Negra, Mr. Power, Nemesis
4) Black Terry, Cerebro Negro, Dr. Cerebro vs Oficial AK47, Oficial Fierro, Oficial Marshal
5) Chico Che, El Hijo de Aníbal, Máscara Año 2000 Jr., Oficial 911, Veneno vs Billy Boy, El Elegido, Escoria, Extreme Tiger, Último Gladiador
Hijo de Anibal? Main event looks like another cibernetico.