This week’s Wrestling Observer was full of interesting AAA news.
- Rocky Romero unexpectedly and suddenly gave his notice after the 07/04 taping. He was asked to take a pay cut, and that’s what people believe is the reason. He’s not listed on any future AAA cards. WON speculates he’ll end up with Masked Warriors (which makes a lot of sense) – perhaps Grey Shadow or Black Tiger will make a return. AAA will need a new opponent for Jack Evans for Verano, or a new match.
- Chessman is out of action for a few months. He hurt his neck taking the Wagner Driver on the 07/02 show, so he was going to miss the 07/04 taping already. However, backstage for that show, Nicho attacked Chessman with a padded club (?), and leaving Chessman with a fractured ankle. “It wasn’t broken up quickly as Chessman wasn’t very popular among a lot of the wrestlers.”
- Heavy Metal being on probation with a promotion doesn’t seem as much news as the status quo
- Meltzer has the Merida taping as “12,000 fans, which was a little shy of full.” That newspaper article said 6,000, but they did have other facts wrong – Chessman wrestling – so they may have guessed wrong there too. I didn’t think you could have 12,000 people in the Poliforum, but I can never remember the seating capacity of buildings. Didn’t look just shy of full in the pictures.
Not in the Observer, but discussed on the latest Figure Four interview with Dr. Lucha, Shocker may have no-showed himself out of a big payday. The talk inside CMLL was that they were going to do Shocker vs Mr. Niebla in a hair vs mask match for the anniversary show. It’s not been the most exciting feud, but it’s one with length – Niebla took Shocker’s mask after they broke up as a team. This time would be Shocker getting that win back, with Niebla being punished by losing his mask on the biggest show of the year. (It doesn’t make logic to me, but it does give an insight into how those in power and those in the ring see things.) No one definitively said the match was certain and they were sure there’d have to be a strong semimain, but Niebla/Shocker seemed to be the big idea, as long as both guys stayed out of trouble and didn’t start no-showing beforehand. Shocker – quite possibly unaware of all of this – did not show up Tuesday, so this is all probably off.
Photos from the CMLL contract signing reveal Diamante needs to buy a suit coat. Also, this article (and every single other one) mentions Histeria not actually signing the contract. He’s says he’ll be in the match, but he refused to agree to defend his mask in the 07/18 match until he defends it in the 07/12 match. No hint of a replacement if Sombra should happen to be the big winner on Monday. Edit: Estrellas del Ring quotes Panico as saying they’ll just go with 11 if Histeria loses his mask.
Juvi, Charly, and Oriental taped an appearance on TV de Noche, which will air on July 14.
On AAA’s website, Alex Koslov explains why he decide to take the red (normally female) Mixed Tag belt – red fits his theme. Also, the deal with the team is Christina Von Eerie is only interested in Alex in a professional manner, and Alex would like to change that. An admirable goal.
DJ Spectro has an interview with As Charro.
Segunda Caida has it’s daily Black Terry review.
LuchaWorld has KrisZ’s news update.
CMLL (TUE) 07/13 Arena Coliseo Guadalajara
1) Nube Roja vs Black Metal
2) Astaroth & Samurai vs Drago & In Memoriam
3) Hierro & Leo vs Ráfaga & Rey Trueno
4) Metal Blanco, Stuka Jr., Valiente vs Averno, Exterminador, Máscara Mágica
5) Máximo & Sagrado vs Héctor Garza & Texano Jr.
Rematch of this past week’s finish.