Saw a tweet last night mentioning CMLL was going to have a press conference today, and couldn’t quite understand what they would have to announce that they couldn’t have just announced last week. Still not sure!
CMLL has added Maximo vs Taichi in a hair versus hair match for their June 6 show. Not so much CMLL vs Invasors on top, unless NJPW has thrown in with the outsiders. This is as random as the rest of the show; there’s been no great Taichi vs Maximo build up to this; last Sunday’s match was the first time they’ve been in the same ring in a month. Maybe it’s a reaction to the less than enthusiastic reaction for the rest of the lineup?
I still think Taichi is losing his hair before he goes back to Japan, but I don’t think he’s going back so soon. Maximo just lost his hair to Okumura last year, this has been established as his role.
CMLL (MON) 05/24 Arena Puebla [Sportimes, CMLL]
1) Black Tiger, Blue Center, Centella de Oro b Mr. Rafaga, Sauron, Toro Bill Jr.
2) Astro Boy, Guerrero Maya Jr., Sensei b Mortiz, Nitro, Zayco
3) Bam Bam, Eléctrico, Mascarita Dorada b Pequeño Damian 666, Pequeño Warrior, Pierrothito
4) Terrible, Texano Jr., Último Guerrero b Hiroshi Tanahashi, Shigeo Okumura, Taichi
5) Strong Man & Volador Jr. DQ Héctor Garza & Místico [Relevos Increíbles]
Mistico might have said Friday that he was done being a rudo, but he was all in black here. Garza fouled Volador for the DQ.
After his loss, Tanahashi thanked all his fans and vowed to return. This works even better if no one still has any idea who Tanahashi is – they should’ve pushed the “Tanahashi, a big star from Hollywood Japan” idea to absurd levels.
Mascarita Dorada showed up! And beat Pequeno Damian.
CMLL (TUE) 05/25 Arena Coliseo Guadalajara [Fuego en el Ring]
1) Thunder Boy & Tondar b Acertijo & Nube Roja
2) In Memoriam & León Blanco b Metatrón & Virgo
3) Hierro, Leo, Palacio Negro b Drago, Ebola, Ráfaga
4) Máscara Dorada & Strong Man b Mephisto & Último Guerrero
5) Brazo de Plata b Asesino Negro [hair]
Fuego calls the main “three rapid falls”.
CMLL (TUE) 05/25 Arena Mexico [@cmllmagazine]
1) Apocalipsis & Cholo b Camaleón & Horus
2) Ángel Azteca, Fabián el Gitano, Leono b Bronco, Durango Kid, Inquisidor
3) Estrella Mágica, Lady Apache, Marcela DQ Amapola, La Seductora, Princesa Sujei
4) Averno, Ephesto, Vangelis b La Máscara, Sagrado, Toscano
5) Atlantis, Hiroshi Tanahashi, Rey Bucanero b Hijo del Fantasma, La Sombra, Volador Jr.
Atlantis pinned Volador, then challenged for a light heavyweight title shot next week. Volador accepted, and that may happen next week. Seemed like they were setting up a tag title match last week, wonder if that changed when the participants in this match changed. (My working guess was Sombra & Voaldor were going to drop the tag team titles after two weeks of Sombra/Volador tension to set up a Volador rudo turn on 06/06. Maybe they dropped that when they changed other things.)
CMLL opted not to compete with AAA in terms of meaningful matches on 06/06,but has decided to undercut them on prices. Adult tickets for the CMLL vs Independientes shows run from $30 to $200MP ($2.30 to $15.44US), with children’s tickets (from the 21st row back) $1 peso each. The cheapest ticket for TripleMania is $15oMP; they’re scaled more like a WWE show.
CMLL rating was a 2.3, down 0.5 from last week, 1.1 from two weeks. Lowest known rating since tracking started.
AAA was 5.5, up 0.2.
Hector Garza, incapable of not causing trouble, thinks Terrible & Texano should ditch the Avernos and team up with him. He also says Aguila should’ve never left CMLL and is happy the best referee that exists is coming to referee the independentes matches.
AAA & a local promoter FULL announced a tournament for the Parejas Increible Tournament at a June 12 spot show in Puebla. (Don’t make a page on the wiki for it; this is a classic title never to be heard from again.) They actually announced it as the first parejas increible championship, which is fair given how much CMLL has tried to pretend the tournament of four months ago didn’t actually happen. Teams are LA Park/La Parka, Dr. Wagner/Mesias (not a parejas increible!), Super Fly/Electro Shock, and Cibernetico/Konnan (not a good idea!) Electroshock is just as surprised he’s teaming with Super Fly as everyone else – that feud has been over for over a year – and says Super Fly had the desire but not the temperament to excel.
Atomix has screen shots of the Wii version of the AAA video game. Unlike that preview art in article long ago, it looks a lot more like the PS3 game, just in standard definition (and no crowd, though that may be the arena they’re in.)
Aeroboy talks up the DTU show this weekend. The four way match is a three stage match. They started with barbed wire, move to light tubes, then finish with light tubes, tacks, spikes, and tables. Sounds pleasant.
Fuego en el Ring has an interview with Martha Villalobos about her promotion and her mother.
According to DJ Spectro, LA wrestler Kiss is in grave condition, bed ridden due to diabetes. DJ Spectro also has articles about Tirantes coming to CMLL, the third part of an interview with El Halcon, the first part of a series on forgotten arenas.
Gladiatores celebrates it’s fourth anniversary.
Rob has reviews of Puebla 10/12/09, C3 10/13/09 and IWRG 09/24/09. I think we didn’t count the Puebla Reyes del Aire match because I was in denial about them actually holding the Reyes del Aire with that lineup in Puebla and was sure they were going to run it again in DF. Guess not.
Segunda Caida has a review of the 02/04/10 IWRG show.
LuchaWorld has KrisZ’s news update – including Mistico and other CMLL wrestlers working the undercard of a Santo show?
CMLL (MON) 05/31 Arena Puebla
1) Asturiano, Centella de Oro, Milenium vs Cocolores, Espiritu Maligno, Siki Osama
2) Guerrero Maya Jr., Leono, Starman vs Dr. X, Hooligan, Nitro
3) Dark Angel, Lady Apache, Luna Mágica vs Mima Shimoda, Princesa Blanca, Princesa Sujei
4) Sagrado, Toscano, Valiente vs Negro Casas, Rey Bucanero, Vangelis
5) Héctor Garza & Místico vs Strong Man & Volador Jr. [Relevos Increíbles, super libre]
Rematch in super libre. First time Cocolores has been here in two years; surprising they’d bring in another guy with how few locals get to make a show a week.