IWRG (THU) 05/13 Arena Naucalpan [Estrellas del Ring, Black Terry Jr. (flickr)]
1) Comando Negro b Guizmo
2) Eterno & Hijo del Signo b Black Terror Jr. & Dinamic Black
3) Black Terry, Cerebro Negro, Dr. Cerebro b Avisman, El Hijo del Diablo, Gringo Loco
4) Oficial 911, Oficial AK47, Oficial Fierro b Aerostar, Gato Eveready, Laredo Kid
5) Electroshock & Silver King DQ Máscara Año 2000 & Máscara Año 2000 Jr.
After splitting the first two, it looked like the Maniacos were about to take the main event. However, Hijo de Cien Caras ran in to throw power and Electroshock to blind him and fouled Silver King for the DQ. Macsara Ano 2000 Jr. bled a lot during the match, and there were plenty of challenges of the same sort of challenges of last week. Silver King wrestled in his mask again and I’m not holding my breath for a commission explanation.
In the semimain, AK-47 pinned Gato cleanly for the win. Except, Gato kicked out at two, and the referee just counted three anyway. Hmmmmm. (AAA blames rudo referee Reyes Rosas.) Anyway, that splits it 1-1 between AAA & IWRG again. I wonder how they’re going to manage this on Sunday when there’s only the one match – double pin finish?
Terrible Cerebros won the first fall of the tercera. Gringos evened it up by KOing Cerebro Negro with his own Cererbro Driver. Cerebro Negro was helped to the back, but the Terrible Cerebros still managed to pull out the win.
Friday Arena Mexico Previews: SuperLuchas, ESTO. Ovaciones PDF is broken today. That’s okay: tonight’s show appears to be a time killing show with nothing much going on, especially compared to the recent run of active shows. We’ll get a direct indication if there’s another trios title change coming up in May, and maybe an indirect indication of other plans (like how maybe Fantasma should actually beat an Averno member in a lightning match if he’s being built to a match with Garza next, instead of being dropped on his head again.) It should be a good a show – the first 2/3rds of the show all have promise, and the top 2 have good people who just need to marginalize the not so good people.
Tanahashi explains to Record that he got an immediate title shot upon arriving in Mexico because Hiroshi Tanahashi is the best wrestler in the world, and so everyone has to give him title shots. Meanwhile, Taichi reports Tanahashi is suffering from back pain and diarrhea. But he’s feeling better today! Why are the Japanese wrestler blogs so much more interesting (and existent) than lucha libre ones? On the same topic: I never understand more than 10% of Mima Shimoda’s blog, but recent posts seem to indicate she’s finishing up here soon.
Dumb question: if AAA could announce TNA’s Abyss & Cibernetico vs Vampiro & Zorro today for TripleMania, why couldn’t they announce it two days earlier at the TripleMania press conference? It’s not like they had to wait for an angle to go down in the last couple of days.
News from the Wrestling Observer of a few day ago
- CMLL tried to recruit LA Park to come in as leader of the Independents. They think they need a bigger name as leader of the group to make this story work (sorry Psicosis), and they liked the idea of taking a guy from a big angle on AAA TV. Since he’s still on AAA TV, Park must’ve signed a contract. This is probably why Universo and Mascara are back.
- Meanwhile, the Perros del Mal are angry with Alebrije/Psicosis/Histeria for jumping to CMLL and for trying to recruit other guys to come with them. Between the CMLL Invaders and the Lucha Libre USA group, it seems like every meaningful guy in Los Perros (outside of the Perros themselves) has found their own alternate promotion.
- “The plan right now seems to be to copy WWE mentality, in the sense of focusing everything on the major angles for TripleMania, and then after the show, during the summer, the goal would be to elevate younger talent.” Riiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiight. Fool me once, shame on me, fool me twenty nine times, I just make jokes. It actually totally makes sense to focus on TripleMania right now, since it’s 3 weeks away, but in no way excuses the last five months where they had nothing to do and chose to not get over and often actively bury younger talent. There should be young talent being set up to get over at TripleMania, because that’s how you actually get people, and they’ve completely failed to get anyone into a good position.
- AAA wanted to run a Copa de Rey Misterio Jr., with Rey presenting the trophy to the winner at a major show this year, but WWE said no. This was a surprising and upsetting decision to Rey.
Black Abyss talks about continuing on the Abismo Negro name, and being depressed after Abismo passed.
DTU returns to Coliseo Coaclaco on 05/30, with Cuervo & Espiritu vs Trauma I & Trauma II.
R de Rudo has a great pictorial of Cobra Extreme learning from King Cobra.
Proyeccion Luchistica feels the LA Park & La Parka Jr. name stipulation mocks the public. They also have an interview with Gringos VIP.
DJ Spectro notes Black Panther losing his mask again, and luchadors who never reached the level of their promise.
Ras de Lona talks to Tanahashi and Negro Casas.
CMLL (TUE) 05/18 Arena Coliseo Guadalajara
1) Thunder Boy & Tondar vs Cerveruz & Quca
2) Metatrón & Virgo vs Acertijo & León Blanco
3) Hierro & Palacio Negro vs Asesino Negro & Exterminador
4) Strong Man, Stuka Jr., Toscano vs Ephesto, Felino, Mephisto
5) Máximo vs Último Guerrero
The big news is Tonder & Thunder Boy are not actually the same person! Also, no Porky/Asesino hair mask; maybe someone decided to make Porky rest a bit first.
CMLL (SUN) 05/30 Domo Zona 13, Ciudad de Guatemela, Guatemala
1) Pegasso & Slayer vs El Asesino & Loco Max
2) Ángel de Oro & Ángel de Plata vs Puma King & Tiger Kid
3) Rayo Chapin, Toscano, Voltron vs Cancerbero, Raziel, Virus
4) Hijo del Fantasma & Valiente vs Dragón Rojo Jr. & Sangre Azteca
5) Místico, Terrible, Texano Jr. vs Héctor Garza, Máscara Dorada, Shocker
Making steady progress to catch back up with Alan! If Mistico is on the rudo side and Hector Garza is on the tecnico side on May 30th in matches that matter in Mexico, I’m going to have to slap someone. Maybe myself, I’m not quite sure.
Prices range from 100 for General Admission to 400 Quetzals for ringside. I’m sure you’ve done the conversion in your head, but just in case, that’s 12.50 to 50 US Dollars or 156 to 623.5 Mexican Pesos