IWRG (THU) 01/21 Arena Naucalpan [The Gladiatores (twitter), Black Terry (photos)]
1) Volaris b Epidemia
2) Dinamic Black & Imperial b Diva Salvaje & Miss Gaviota
3) Avisman, Gringo Loco, Hijo del Signo b Brazo Jr., Brazo Metalico, Daga
4) Solar I, Suicida, Zatura b Bombero Infernal, Maldito Jr., Samoth
5) Angelico b Negro Navarro [SALVADOR AMERICAS]
Angelico is the new champion. They appear to now be calling it the Americas Light Heavyweight championship, but I’m sticking with one name. It’s the Solar/Negro Navarro belt.
Tecnicos won the semimain in two falls. Given that match up, they really should’ve. No other details on the show, but maybe you can go watch the YouTube video and let me know what I’m missing.
Previews for today’s Arena Mexico show:
Tournament: Notimex, Record (Mistico plans to calm Averno down and focus him on winning the tournament), Fuego en el Ring (Terrible likes how his style and Volador’s compliment each other), ESTO (Mr. Niebla says he’ll be partners with Maximo – in the ring only)
I expect Ultimo Guerrero to hold onto the title (and maybe Garza gets the win back next week), but I’m not too confident. The tournament is harder to pick, and I think my vote would go to Fantasma/Mephisto.
CMLL’s still doing the 5 kids free with 1 adult ticket deal. Their twitter confirms this week’s show is at 3PM, with a new look.
AAA movie links:
– in e-query, the director says it took a year and a half to film
– the movie is “more than just action”, and tries to reflect “people who talk and behave like us”, as long as they are walking skeletons.
– Lasser Boy quote: “Just as their was an era of Santo & Blue Demon, this will be an era of Lasser Boy”. His character is inspired by Rey Misterio Jr. & Abismo Negro; that last quote sounds like the Abismo Negro side. He’s 18, from Villahermosa, trained by Abismo Negro, Apache, and Felix (?), will debut on the 02/05 show and is concerned about climate change.
I don’t know what this paragraph is doing here, but anyone ever notice that Atomic Boy is 18, trained by Apache, (Mini) Abismo Negro and Tom Mix (Jr.)? You know what would be pretty awesome? Atomic Boy suddenly getting a new gimmick and a big push off this movie.
Have not seen an actual review of the movie. Probably beside the point for the first weekend, but it sounds like they’re hope for two good weekends.
According to the Wrestling Observer, NOAH’s Takeshi Morishima is headed into AAA on 02/01. He’ll presumably work the 02/05 and 02/07 tapings. Morishima was in AAA back in Feburary 2008, in a trios match – Charly Manson, Chessman, Naomichi Marafuji b Abismo Negro, Kenzo Suzuki, Takeshi Morishima – where Morishima worked as a rudo but turned tecnico after the match, with the idea of NOAH helping AAA versus the Legion. I can’t believe I still remember that and have no expectation AAA will; something where he’s teaming with Kenzo as the Yakuza seems likely.
Cronicas Y Leyendas writes about a Few have been licensed in Torreon for this year. Of the 140 wrestlers, 17 have gotten their license. I love this story every year. They’re doing HIV testing this year.
An actual attempt at Follow Friday (in totally the wrong format, and just linking people I haven’t linked before)
– Luchas2000 has a twitter site (though still no website)
– Diamante wants YOUR vote for novato of the year. I like Angel de Oro, but there’s no way he should be winning that – he’s not on Twitter!
– Canada’s ISW features multiple cows, a tiger, and a zombie. Also, I needed a third pick and they appear to be insane. HOORAY.
Depending on how much I feel like a zombie this evening, I may be making my way down to AAW to check out Super Crazy vs Davey Richards and whatever else they’ve got going tonight. If I make it out, I promise I won’t bug you with a dozen results tweets (@luchablog, this time) – but I expect to do badly written live tweets from the Dragon Gate USA show on Saturday. You’ve been warned, unfollow if desired.