CMLL Juniors (WED) 01/13 Auditorio Miguel Barragan [KrisZ]
1) Amapola & Princesa Sujei b Dalis la Caribeña & Lluvia
2) Blue Panther, Brazo de Plata, Hijo del Fantasma b Dragon Rojo Jr., Ray Mendoza Jr., Sangre Azteca
3) Místico & Negro Casas b Héctor Garza & Mr. Niebla [Relevos Increíbles]
KrisZ notes Mendoza was hurt in the semimain, and that’s why he was off on Friday.
CMLL (SUN) 01/17 Arena Coliseo Guadalajara [Fuego en el Ring]
1) Serverus b Enrique Vera Jr.
2) El Divino & Thunder Boy b In Memoria & Titanio
3) Asesino Negro & Drago b Magnum & Samurai
4) Mr. Trueno & Rey Trueno b Infierno & León Blanco
5) La Sombra, Máscara Dorada, Valiente b Dragon Rojo Jr., Sangre Azteca, Shigeo Okumura
6) Brazo de Plata DQ Terrible
Terrible bled from the nose from a Porky shot in the second fall. Terrible ended up fouling Porky for the loss. What an odd ending to this feud.
Once again, Magnum & Samurai fell apart as a team. Not sure who’s turning rudo, but they seem at the breaking point.
AAA’s red carpet premier was this past Friday (the official release is still not for a week), so there’s another set of articles about the movie.
– AAA has their own recap of the red carpet. One of the strange about the movie is the character of La Parka Jr.’s younger brother, as just a regular kid. The idea surely is to have a character the kids can identify with, but it seemed to me like an easy way to introduce a new luchador coming out of the movie; there’s only one. AAA mentions new wrestler Lasser Boy made an appearance at the premier and has a role in the movie, so maybe I’ve just accidentally spoiled a twist in the movie. (There feels like three or four I’ve gone out of my way not to mention.)
– Marisela Pena says she’s like AAA to work with Guillermo del Toro for another movie. Aim high. This article says the video game is now due out in August. If we keep getting updates on it, it’ll never come out.
– La Parka Jr. does not feel he’ll be a movie star like John Cena, because it’d be tough for him to be a Marine. Apparently it was tough for Cena.
– Fabi Apache did not know she was in the movie until she saw the movie. She’s the only luchadora in the movie. I bet Mr. Niebla has no idea. Article notes Fabi was wearing a cap, because she just lost her hair.
There’s an article in the Arizona Republic about WWE vs Lucha Libre. It’s 95% word for word the same article that ran in USA Today, except for an added paragraph about the Republic trying to contract people and getting turned down. I didn’t know that sort of reprinting was legal. For a new take, this column says lucha libre needs to go back to a technical style, like Black Shadow, Matematico, Jerry Lawler and Killer Kowalksi. Jerry Lawler?!?!
Record has a feature length interview with Groon XXX about his career. He says he tried joining Rey Misterio Sr.’s school, but Misterio said he’d never make in the business. Groon instead went to Monterrey to train with Humberto Garza, and blames Garza for rushing him into the ring too soon and says his leg injury in 2001 was a big part of it. Groon says his bookings and pay dropped after he worked hard to return, and he saw they were preparing someone to replace him, so he decided to leave. Groon says he was successful in CMLL – “I am a ticket seller, always have been” – and didn’t want to ruin that by appearing too often, so he’s not stayed with CMLL. Groon says he began “doing things a young athlete should not”, specifying too much alcohol as causing pancreatic issues, which almost caused his death. Groon returned to AAA to prove he was the better, felt he did it after three shows, and didn’t want to be stuck in the third match fighting – he’s a star.
Aguila Solitaria, EMLL star in the early 90s, is now a car mechanic and detailer.
CMLL sent Horus & Aquaris to the new exposition for 101 Llaves y Lances. Not exactly a high star power meeting.
Cesar looks over this week’s lineups, disputes Volador from getting counted as from Monterrey.
El Manana profiles 30 year vet Marvick
SuperLuchas has a report on Lucha Libre in Chile.
SuperLuchas #347 has interviews with Rey Misterio Jr. & Dr. Wagner III. Inside, there’s also an interview with Marco Moreno of IWRG, who says they’re working on a third TV show (!), they have big plans for March, and they’d listen if CMLL called. I’d be happy if the second TV show still had new episodes.
Ohtani’s Jacket catches up with some more recent IWRG, and will be oh so thrilled when he reads this Thursday’s main event.
IWRG (THU) 01/21 Arena Naucalpan
1) Epidemia vs Volaris
2) Diva Salvaje & Miss Gaviota vs Dinamic Black & Imperial
3) Brazo Jr., Brazo Metalico, Daga vs Avisman, Gringo Loco, Hijo del Signo
4) Solar I, Suicida, Zatura vs Bombero Infernal, Maldito Jr., Samoth
5) Negro Navarro vs Angelico [SALVADOR AMERICAS]
Uh, yea. Can I make a joke about Hijo del Diablo wearing USA gear one week and being gone the next week without being terrible impolite? Not sure.
IWRG (SUN) 01/24 Arena Naucalpan
1) Máscara Magnífica vs King Drako
2) Diva Salvaje & Miss Gaviota vs Epidemia & Heavy Boy
3) Eragon, Hijo del Pantera, Zatura vs Alan Extreme, Gringo Loco, Hijo del Signo
4) Brazo de Plata & Brazo de Plata Jr. vs Fuerza Guerrera & Juventud Guerrera and Hijo de Pirata Morgan & Pirata Morgan and Máscara Año 2000 & Máscara Año 2000 Jr. [IWRG IC TAG, semifinal]
JUVI! I can’t believe I forgot about Juvi, that’s up there with forgetting about Dre. You can tell it’s been a while since he’s been around, because I’m actually excited to see this.
indy (SUN) 01/24 Coliseo Tulancingo
1) Artikuz & Rocky Lobo vs Amnesia & DK
2) Chalapa, Príncipe Ketzal, Rex vs Amo de la Noche, Lalo Lokuras, Toro Deguanoro
3) Piloto Suicida, Rayo de Jalisco Jr., Rayo del Ring vs Pesadilla, Super Crazy, Taz el Feroz
Not really that interesting on it’s own (and the color codes aren’t much good on indy stuff like this), but Super Crazy has quite the weekend. Silas Young in Berwyn, Illinois on Friday, CIMA, Quackenbush and Jigsaw in Chicago on Saturday, and Rayo de Jalisco himself on Sunday (and he might be promoting that show for all I know.) I don’t think anyone else can possibly have those three days. Tulancingo is a 4:30 show, so I hope he’s getting an early flight out.
CMLL (SUN) 01/24 Arena Coliseo Guadalajara
1) Meteoro vs Skaxy
2) Astaroth & Saturno vs Acertijo & In Memoria
3) Hierro & Palacio Negro vs Mr. Trueno & Rey Trueno
4) Metro, Stuka Jr., Valiente vs Cancerbero, Pólvora, Raciel
5) Shocker & Volador Jr. vs Rey Bucanero & Último Guerrero
Rey Bucanero and Ultimo Guerrero as a tag team? Could that work? Maybe. If I told you that semimain would be a semimain two years ago, or even a year ago, you would not believe it.
Strange that the Magnum/Samurai stuff is dropped, or maybe it’ll be added yet.