CMLL had one of it’s near-monthly press conferences yesterday. In usual CMLL fashion, news from the press conference leaked out slowly and spottily. So far, via CMLL’s Twitter, ESTO, superluchas, TV Deportes, Ovaciones, and CMLL.com
- The National Parajes Increidible tournament was formerly announced and many of the teams were there to talk about their participation. This is being pushed as part of the nebulous Nueva Era concept, though I still expect it to look a lot like the tournaments of the previous era (short, unsatisfying.) CMLL has the block breakdown.
– Volador Jr. & Terrible (Monterrey)
– Mr. Niebla & Maximo (DF)
– Epehsto & Euforia (Laguna)
– Mistico & Averno (DF)
– Hijo del Fantasma & Mephisto (DF)
– Blue Panther & Misterioso II (Laguna)
– Atlantis & Mascara Dorada (GDL)
– Sombra & Dragon Rojo Jr. (Laguna)
– Texano Jr. & Rush (GDL)
– Ultimo Guerrero & Stuka Jr. (Laguna)
– Shocker & Sagrado (GDL)
– Rey Bucanero & Valiente (DF)
– Felino & Sangre Azteca (DF)
– Hector Garza & Toscano (DF)
– Negro Casas & La Mascara (DF)
– Ray Mendoza & Brazo de Plata (DF)
Everyone talked about how they were going to put regional pride ahead of personal differences.
- CMLL/NJPW issues were build up more. Terrible, Texano, Naito and Okumura (playing the role of Yujiro) discussed the IWGP tag team championship match on 02/14. Terrible & Texano said they’d cheat again to win, while Naito pointed out it’ll be a NJPW referee for this rematch. The conversation nearly ended in punches, of course. Terrible & Texano leave for Japan on 02/12 and return on 02/15. Next NJPW tour starts on 01/27, so Naito’s presumably gone a few days before that.In related news, NJPW will be sending Taichi, Giant Benard, Jushin Liger, and Tanahashi (spelled as Tamaguchi in one place; gotta remember to feed it!) to CMLL.Only Taichi is announced with a firm date (02/14). Given his age, this might be an extended trip. CMLL seems to be building it up as much, but I’m sure we’ll get better info from NJPW.
I don’t know if I want to see the entire match, but I now desperately want to see Giant Benard batte with STRONG MAN.
Averno & Ultimo Guerrero also got to talk about letting down the entire country of Mexico by losing in the Tokyo Dome.
- The new trios champs of Mascara Dorada, Metro and Stuka Jr. were presented, with Sangre Azteca running into challenge for a rematch on behalf of his team. Sangre really should set his sights a little higher. He was actually there to talk about the last tour of Europe, and to hand over a Key to the City they got while in France.
- CMLL will hold internet voting to determine the best of CMLL. The awards and candidates
- Novato: Delta, Diamante, Rush, Angel de Oro
- Revelacion: Vangelis, Mascara Dorada, Polvora, Dragon Rojo Jr.
- Luchadora: Amapola, Marcela, Dark Angel, Lady Apache
- Extranjero: Strong Man, Yujiro, Naito, Liger
- Parejas: Volador & Sombra, Terrible & Texano, No Limit, Averno & Mephisto, Ultimo Guerrero & Atlantis
- Trio: Guerreros de la Atlantida, Angeles Rebeldes, Peste Negro, Hijo del Avenro, Super Sky Team
- Tecnico: Blue Panther, Shocker, Hector Garza, La Mascara, La Sombra (no Mistico?)
- Rudo: Negro Casas, Ultimo Guerrero, Mr. Niebla, Terrible, Averno
- Mas Popular: Mistico, Ultimo Guerrero, Volador Jr., Mr. Niebla
Voting is up now and runs thru 02/14. My quick picks are Angel de Oro (was around longer), Mascara Dorada, Amapola, STRONG MAN (or maybe Naito), Terrible & Texano, Peste Negra, uh Sombra I guess, Negro Casas, and Mistico.
- Remember the contest to win a home? (It’s tough not to, they plug it every single match.) 300 people signed up for the contest, but only 55 remain – having bought a ticket every week – after about a month of it. I would’ve figured there were more CMLL diehards than that, but then I had no idea you had to sign up for it.
Also at the press conference, Hector Garza says he’d like to win Ultimo Guerrero’s title and mask. So would I, but I don’t think it’s happening for either of us. Their non-title (and non-apuesta) singles match headlines tonight’s Arena Mexico show, which may or may not actually air. Leaning heavily to “not”.
Rey Misterio Jr. did a satellite interview tour in Mexico this past week to promote next month’s tour. In ESTO, he said he’s two to three years away from retirement, depending on how a post-WrestleMania surgery goes. He doesn’t see Dos Jr., Incognito or Super Nova replacing him, because he doesn’t feel like WWE does that with anyone, they just try to make everyone new and different person. (He also said he’d face Undertaker and Batista in a three way at the Royal Rumble, which I believe is either spoiler or a change of plans, since it’s a singles match at the moment.)
Ring of Honor is working with former WCW promoter Gary Juster on it’s 04/03 show in Charlotte. After WCW, Juster promoted some lucha shows in the Atlanta area, and it’s probably not a coincidence they’ll be using lucha libre wrestlers (and advertising it in the Hispanic media, the key!). There was no promotion mentioned in the press release about this, and I’m reasonable sure this means it’ll be indy lucha guys who would appeal to people on message boards. (Think Perros del Mal, and then think the guy who is not a Perro.)
Kinda with the same idea of marketing to lucha libre fans for ROH-type indy shows, I noticed local Chicago lucha GALLI was promoting next week’s Dragon Gate show in Chicago, with some discounted tickets for kids. Plenty of tickets are apparently still available (though I already have mine.)
The Wrestling Observer Newsletter mentions Naito specifically asked to come back to Mexico, because he had fun working on top.
Also, and stop me if you’ve heard this before, but AAA is talking about moving into the US market. Also, Teddy Hart is on thin ice. Also, the sun is due to come up tomorrow. Anyway, included in the discussion about AAA moving to the US (setting up offices in Texas or California and getting better TV), there’s also talk about a change in the creative team, bringing in big outside talent (also not new) and working with TNA again.
WON also mentioned Heavy Metal (and Black Warrior) as coming in. Metal would be very interesting. He left AAA back in 2005 after making a “it’s either Konnan or me” demand to Antonio Pena when Pena was bringing Konnan back. Pena obviously went with Konnan, but that would seem to indicate his feeling about Konnan at the time. But things do change over time.
Black Terry Jr. posted photos of last night’s Arena Naucalpan show. Looks like Gringo Loco has converted Avisman & Hijo del Diablo to proud Americans. I hope they’re using Toby Keith music.
AAA continues it’s series of interviews with Crazy Boy, who talks about dropping his ultraviolent style For The Children.
VassaloVision, a tiny Hispanic network previously only existing in Houston, has expanded to Las Vegas. They list lucha libre on Saturday and Sunday afternoons; I’m guessing this is either the AULL or Tijuana stuff being repeated again.
Perros del Mal has a picture teaser of their 01/31 show with Santo and Demon.
Cronicas and Leyendas looks back at Andre’s debut in Mexico
DJ Spectro shows off his new Rudos vs Rudos feature.
LuchaWorld has KrisZ’s news update and the latest Slamin’ Stan!
IWRG (SUN) 01/17 Arena Naucalpan
1) Guizmo vs Guerrero 2000
2) Dinamic Black & Eragon vs Alan Extreme & Hijo del Signo
3) Angelico, Chico Che, Zatura vs ?, El Hijo del Diablo, Veneno
4) Canek & el Hijo del Canek vs Hijo del Pantera & Pantera and Exodia & Olímpico and Negro Navarro & Trauma I [IWRG IC TAG, semifinal]
This is listed as a father/son tournament to define new tag team champs. (So long, Ricky Cruzz & Scorpio Jr. – wait, why you ever the champs to start with?) Block B is next week,with the finals on the 31st.
Guessing the other four teams: Piratas and Mascaras Ano 2000s both worked the father/son match (this will be the same rules – fathers take their sons place when eliminated.) The Brazos have been around enough that one ought to fit in here. The 8th team is more of a question mark. Maybe Signo returns for one match? Maybe Diablo Jr. does? Maybe Negro Navarro works twice? Maybe they reveal a new family relationship? Maybe Black Terry Jr. jumps in the ring and starts beating people with his camera? Many questions.
They’ve seemed to be going in a Canek/Pirata feud; I thought maybe that was leading to a mask match (which would definitely explain why Hijo del Pirata Morgan is here and not Pirata Morgan Jr.), but a tag title feud makes as much sense.