I don’t know which story is the top story today.
– A woman has gone to the press claiming she was Abismo Negro’s secret lover, whom Abismo was going to marry if only for his wife guilting him into staying with her due to her cancer and the children. The Other Woman – América Sánchez – says the stress his wife caused Abismo led him directly to abusing drugs and alcohol. The article is just excerpts from an article in TVyNovelas magazine, coming out soon. In addition, the Cancun promoter suspended for falsely promoting Abismo Negro story got picked up by Notimex, so it’s all over the place now.
– Ovaciones says Konnan has been suspended by the DF Box Y Lucha commissioner for his part of the attack on Juvi. As the national head of the commission, all the other commissions are supposed to uphold this suspension, so Konnan is effectively prohibited from wrestling in Mexico.
AAA’s done an abysmal job handling this situation and Konnan is certainly done some wrong here. However, it feels like everyone coming out of the woodwork to take a shot at Konnan now that he’s given him an opening. There’s been no indication the commission actually talked to Konnan or AAA about their side of the story (with how busy they’ve both been, it seems unlikely), and are just going on Juvi’s side of the story. Jack Evans isn’t mentioned as being suspended, which highlights this as a personal issue about Konnan. People are either fiercely loyal to Konnan or hate him – not even always because of some thing between them, but because of the style of lucha libre he wants to present. There doesn’t seem to be any middle ground, which leads to situations like this.
The silver lining here is Konnan should not be in the ring anyway, because he’s clearly broken down, and not going to get any better. Konnan and AAA really need to take Konnan out of the ring, but if they’re not going to do it, then at least someone else will. That’s assuming the other commissions enforce the suspension, which is no sure thing. Still wouldn’t book Konnan in a match for TripleMania (in Mexico City), but it certainly would be in character for them to challenge/ignore this.
At the same time, Juvi pictures just keep getting more dramatic. Juvi underwent nose surgery on Tuesday, which prevented him from meeting with AAA (not he was getting any response from them.) He can’t talk now, but plans to hold a press conference when he can. Fuerza Guerrera can talk, so he was on Tercera Caida to talk about the attack. Everyone seems to be pointing towards X-Pac as the person who instigated the whole thing.
Meanwhile, Konnan did an interview with a Las Vegas Review-Journal to promote tonight’s TV Taping (we think) in Las Vegas. Besides the usual Konnan bio – Konnan notes the difference between what he does and Al Pacino does is Pacino has a stunt man (couldn’t we get one for Konnan?) – the article says a percentage of merchandise sales are going to Abismo Negro’s family. Which is interesting, because they no one seemed to see a merchandise stand on the first leg of the US Tour. I guess a percentage of zero is still a percentage.
CMLL (TUE) 03/31 Arena Coliseo Guadalajara [mt]
5) Metal Blanco & Valiente b Mascara Magica & Satanico
6) Dos Caras Jr., La Mascara, Sagrado b Black Warrior, Dragon Rojo Jr., Sangre Azteca
Dos rolled up Sangre clean for the win. Tecnicos pulled the two fall upset in the semimain, which made Satanico sad/mad.
Atlantis and CMLL announced they’ll be hold the annual kids day show not on April 30th, but a day late as the May 1st Friday Arena Mexico show. Kids get in for 1 peso, and will be treated to a showing of Atlantis’ latest movie. This was all, a little bit strangely, announced as a PAN political party news conference
Ovaciones says CMLL’s Lucha Libre Expo show will include a tribute Satanico and Villano III. Yesterday, Ovaciones had a random two page story about Solar, which highlights his store.
(SuperLuchas) Gigante Warrior was apparently the mystery man for the UWE show earlier this week. Might be the same one for later this week.
Box Y Lucha has a whole bunch of articles from the previous edition, including the Pirata and Porky articles posted earlier
– Konnan rips Intocable as a rip off Latin Lover who’s never done anything except become arrogant.
– Black Warrior says he’s not jumping to AAA or leaving CMLL, doesn’t say (and isn’t asked) why he’s not working in Arena Mexico, though he implies it’s just the schedule CMLL has him working at the moment.
– Marco Corleone talks about his jump
– Villalobos trainee Grecia says she hopes to die in the ring. See, I would refuse to wrestle anyone who says such a silly thing.
– Villano III talks about dealing with missing lugugge and bad flights.
Shocker is now selling his merchandise thru SuperLuchas.
WrestleMania will be on PPV this year in Mexico. While I’m sure this means Justin.TV will be busy, I’m hoping it’s successful enough to encourage other companies to follow it. The story has always been not enough people in Mexico have PPV capabilities to make this work; this article says 600K will have access thru Cablevision (and no mention of SKY.)
The Tijuana lucha commission and sports authorities are sponsoring a series of low cost, small scale shows around Tijuana, with the idea to provide people something to do to avoid the gang violence. There will be weekly shows starting on April 12, culminating with a major show in the Auditorio on May 24.
Los Campeones de la Lucha Libre will air as part of an Atlanta film festival on 04/21 and 04/22. (Thanks to RL)
Generico talks to DTU about wrestling for them at the Lucha Libre Expo.
El Sol de San Fernando has a longer version of the lucha libre against domestic violence show from a couple days ago.
Ohtani’s Jacket enjoyed Black Tiger, Blue Center, Tigre Rojo vs Espiritu Maligno, Mr. Rafaga, Toro Bill Sr. from 03/02 Puebla. Between OJ and an actual new DVDVR, I believe I will be the last person in the world to watch that match.