The big lucha story out of this past week’s Wrestling Observer is the ever changing status of Cibernetico. As everyone figured, he was the planned mystery partner for Charly Manson at Rey de Reyes and was actually supposed to come back this past weekend as the mystery partner at the Cuernavaca show (which also helps explain the Vampiro non-wrestling bit. This is all past tense, because Cibernetico decided to hold up AAA for a pay raise on his return. (If nothing else, Cibernetico has some guts.) AAA realized their business was still doing fine with Cibernetico, and everyone was happier in the locker room without Cibernetico and decided to turn Cibernetico down. There’s still plenty of time for things to change for Rey de Reyes but AAA’s probably already made alternate plans.
AAA (SUN) 03/01 Arena Coliseo Monterrey [RFC]
1) Guerrero Blanco & Invasor b Diabolik & Thunder Brother
2) Fabi Apache & Mari Apache b Cinthia Moreno & Tiffany
3) La Momia & Virtual X b Ejecutor & Mr. Secuestro [AAA NORTH TAG]
4) Histeria & Monje Negro Jr. b Aguila Extrema & TDN
5) Pirata Morgan & Silver King b Alan Stone & Pimpinela Escarlata
IWRG (THU) 03/05 Arena Naucalpan [Al Filo del Ring]
3) Solar I, Super Astro, Ultraman Jr. b Pierroth II, Tetsuya Bushi, Toxico DF
4) Oficial 911, Oficial AK47, Oficial Fierro b Emilio Charles Jr., Fuerza Guerrera, Scorpio Jr.
Main event is kinda of an upset. For all the Oficial wins, they don’t usually get to beat the top older national guys, and Emilio beating knocked out during the match helped here. Challenges all around after the main event.
Today’s Arena Mexico preview: Ovaciones, ESTO – just killing time until the 20th, with half the roster over in Puebla for that show. Weird we have Blue Panther and Atlantis teaming and no one really notices.
Box Y Lucha Articles
– Gato Eveready on his first year in AAA. They give his start as February 10, though the gimmick actually started on 11/19/07 and the current guy under the mask probably didn’t get started until June 1st. Anyway, Gato talks about wrestling for 10 years and having no idea what the actual agreement between AAA and Eveready is and how long it lasts.
– Box Y Lucha talks to Queretaro promoter Carlos Maynes about El Rey losing his mask, since Martha Villalobos was angry with someone else using a name one of her wrestlers was using. The article really doesn’t get around to that issue, with Maynes just pointing out Mr. Mexico had been unmasked for 9 years and so was allowed to remask. (Maynes quotes the rule as an unmasked wrestler must stay that way for 1 year – the rulebooks I’ve seen have that for a longer period, but Mr. Mexico would still be okay.)
– Mr. Niebla explains his car accident – he hit one car, swerved out of control, and crashed into a bus. Car’s totaled. Niebla seems pretty upbeat about it.
– Wagner says he’s not locking into any company, still, and teases a mask match with Park later this year. It’s going to be a long year.
– LA Park says the battle for the La Parka name/look is still in the courts and he may win yet, so that’s why he’s going back to the old suit on the independents. I believe either he’s only prohibited from using the old look on TV, or AAA only cares enough to enforce it in those situations, so he’s free to wear what he wants outside of CMLL and that’s where he is right now. LA Park accuses AAA of fixing the Televisa voting buying votes so La Parka Jr. could win in past years. They’re click polls, it’s not even that hard to manipulate.
Universal has an interview with Terror Negro, Sobredosis, and Skullman, who are running Arena Emiliano Zapata under the IWG name. What does IWG stand for? “Indy Wrestling Group”. They’ve been running a tournament for a light heavyweight title of late with AAA guys on top. There’s a short article about this on Ovaciones, and I know El Pancracio covers that building, but I forgot to check their site for new editions.
The Queremos machos no mamadas, a documentary on luchadors focusing on CMLL wrestlers (and maybe filmed last year based on the names) sounds really good. It aired in Puebla on Monday as part of the festive there. I think they may have to change the name (or at least the English translation) if it ever made it to the US.