Nino de Acero will be out for nine months after fracturing his femur on Monday during a dive, which means he’s back in November if things go well. The surgery took six hours. Lucha Libre is brutal.
SuperLuchas says Alex Koslov is part of the Mexican contigent on the ROH Houston shows. That’ll be great and great for him. I hope he still does the stop sign. It also does open the door to mindblowing AAA/ROH crossovers, which we discussed a bunch on the last podcast.
Sexi Star is on the next AAA Circus Circus show, which would seem to preclude her from being Star Fire. Star Fire hasn’t really turned up much, so I guess it doesn’t really matter.
No Dark Angel or Cassandro on the last set of TNA tapings.
Ovaciones reports Blue Panther, Shocker, Hector Garza, and Black Warrior will receive Golden Microphone awards from the National Association of Broadcasters. They gave awards to Marco & Atlantis last year, so I think they just like giving awards.
Box Y Lucha has articles with Perro Aguayo Jr. growning up as the son of Perro Aguayo, Super Crazy heading to Puerto Rico and Martha Villalobos angry at Mr. Mexico using ‘El Rey’ in Arena Queretaro and losing his mask, since she has a wrestler using the same name (if only there was some sort of government sponsored official group in charge of this sort of thing). The real important news is the awesome return of the old Box Y Lucha covers!
DTU hypes their appearance at the Lucha Libre Expo.
ESPN Deportes looks at UWE 03/01 Arena Neza show.
Ohtani’s Jacket watches Ray Mendoza vs Tatsuma Fujinami from 1978.
Post is too big this morning. So it’ll be two.
AAA (FRI) 02/20 Arena San Juan Pantitlan [The Gladiatores]
1) La Chona, Miserable, Ricky Ricon b Escorpion Dorado Jr., Mohicano I, Rey del Espacio [Copa Gema, semifinal]
2) Baby Amor, Caricia, Caricia Jr. b Bestia Metalica, Infinito, Mohicano II [Copa Gema, semifinal]
3) La Chona, Miserable, Ricky Ricon b Baby Amor, Caricia, Caricia Jr. [Copa Gema, final]
4) Brian el Striper & Mari Apache b Cinthia Moreno & Dizzy
5) Argenis, Gato Eveready, Laredo Kid b Rio Bravo, Tigre Cota, Tito Santana II
6) Killer Clown, Psycho Clown, Zombie Clown b Cuervo, Escoria, Ozz
7) La Parka Jr. b Zorro, Konnan [copa contreras 2009]
La Parka got a hold of the cane and hit people until he got the won. They’re setting up a Brian/Dizzy hair vs mask match here. Dizzy turned rudo at some point – maybe that’s why Atomic Boy changed his name.
IWRG (SAT) 02/21 Arena Xochimilco [The Gladiatores]
1) Comando Gama b Keshin Black
2) Gemelo Fantastico I & Gemelo Fantastico II b Anticristo Jr. & Vampiro Metalico
3) Black Terry, Cerebro Negro, Fantasma de la Opera b Chico Che, Fenix, Miss Gaviota
4) Oficial 911, Oficial AK47, Oficial Fierro b Dr. Cerebro, Freelance, Multifacetico [IWRG IC TRIOS]
5) Rayo de Jalisco Jr., Scorpio Jr., Tinieblas Jr. b Head Hunter I, Hijo del Cien Caras, Mascara Ano 2000 Jr.
Top two matches were all about teams falling apart. Junior Dinamitias and Head Hunter fell out after Hunter screwed something up. Similarly, Dr. Cerebro and Freelance could not go from having a hair match to teaming up successfully, Cerebro costing his team the match and leading his usual trios parnters (Cerebro Negro and Black Terry) into a beatdown of Freelance and Multifacetico. Tecnicos want a shot at the DF Trios titles now.
Vampiro Metalico hasn’t been here since 2007. Use that knowledge responibly.
IWRG (SUN) 02/22 Arena Naucalpan [The Gladiatores]
1) Halcon 2000 b Imperio Azteca
2) Goleador & Miss Gaviota b King Drako & Vampiro Metalico
3) Black Terry, Eragon, Trauma I b Anticristo Jr., Fantasma de la Opera, Nemesis IWRG
4) Freelance, Multifacetico, Zatura b Arlequin, Avisman, Bushi
5) Head Hunter I & Head Hunter II DQ Mascara Ano 2000 Jr. & Universo 2000
Universo 2000 replaced Mascara Ano 2000 Sr., and Hijo del Cien Caras ran in the end for the DQ. Head Hunters still want that tag title match, though Unvierso wants a Dinamitas vs Foreigners cage match.
Semifinal third fall saw big dives from Freelance and Avisman to wipe out Arlequin and Multifacetico. That left Zatura and Bushi, and Zatura got Bushi with a German suplex. Zatura wants a lightweight title match.
Black Terry filled in on the tecnico side for Trauma II, and I guess they moved Fantasma de la Opera so he’d have an old rudo rival to feud with. (Arlequin replaced Judas el Traidor.) Terry pinned Fantasma using the ropes to win for his team.
CMLL (SUN) 02/22 Arena Coliseo Guadalajara
1) Relampago Azul b Skaxy
2) Astaroth & Nube Roja DQ Ebola & Valentin Mayo
3) Magnum & Metatron b Rafaga & Rey Trueno
4) La Mascara, Mictlan, Shocker b Averno, Ephesto, Mephisto [torneo, quarterfinal]
5) Black Warrior, Dragon Rojo Jr., Sangre Azteca b Blue Panther, Mascara Dorada, Stuka Jr. [torneo, semifinal]
6) Black Warrior, Dragon Rojo Jr., Sangre Azteca b La Mascara, Mictlan, Shocker [torneo, final]
Covered the main stuff on Monday. The tag matches would seem to be part of the tournament they were doing here, but there’s no mention of it. Instead, they seem to be building a hair match between Nube Roja and Valentin Mayo, who was disqualified for excessive violence.
CMLL (TUE) 02/24 Arena Coliseo Guadalajara [MT]
7) Averno, Mephisto, Satanico b Blue Panther, Mascara Dorada, Mictlan
Averno snuck and fouled Panther while Satanico had the ref, then Satanico picked up the win. This main event was a celebration of Satanico reaching 35 years (and 8 months?) of wrestling.
CMLL (TUE) 02/24 Arena Mexico [CMLL, Avellaneda @ box y lucha]
1) Angel Azteca Jr. & Sombra de Plata b Camorra & Zayco
2) Electrico, Pequeño Olímpico, Shockercito b Pequeño Damian 666, Pequeño Violencia, Sombrita
3) Lady Apache, Marcela, Sahori b Princesa Blanca, Princesa Sujei, Rosa Negra
4) Hector Garza, Hijo del Fantasma, Toscano b Ephesto, Misterioso II, Terrible
5) Shocker b Ultimo Guerrero
Ultimo Guerrero lost clean, again. Shocker apparently is jumping Dos in line for a title shot, since Shocker/UG for the Heavyweight title will be next week on the monthly fan appreciation show.
Princesa Blanca and Marcela are stil feuding. The rudas were DQed in the first fall for excessive violence and the tecnicas took fall two (so yes, they only go two falls for those who root for such things.)