For more information, read the 2008 Tapatia Awards Information
Please cut and paste the following ballot to email@example.com. Do not post your ballot in this or any thread. E-MAIL THE BALLOT.
This is the fifth Tapatia awards, designed to honor the best in lucha libre over the past year. We encourage all fans to vote, and let their voice be heard on the previous twelve months of Mexican lucha libre. This voting covers the calendar year 2008. Matches are eligible if they were TAPED in 2008, regardless of when they aired.
We’re using the same ballot as last year. You can find the full ballot here.
Voting will be held from February 3rd to February 17th, subject to change. One ballot per person. Send completed ballots to (and only to) firstname.lastname@example.org. Ballots sent to other addresses or posted may not be counted – please make it easy for me and send the ballots to that address.
Scoring: Categories with first thru third voting will give 5 points for first, 3 points for second, 2 points for third. Categories with first thru sixth voting will give 17 points for first, 12 points for second, 8 points for third, 5 points for fourth, 3 points for fifth and 2 points for second. TIE VOTES ARE NOT ALLOWED.
Any match in any location using the Mexican lucha libre style are eligible to be included. Shows in the US and elsewhere using this style are included. Japanese lucha libre promotions such as Dragon Gate are not included, but Japanese tours by Mexican lucha libre promotions are included. Female and mini wrestlers are eligible for all categories, unless otherwise specified.
Quick descriptions of the awards:
1) Best Wrestler – top wrestler over the last year.
2) Best Match – please include dates, location where possible
3) Best Tecnico – greatest good guy
4) Best Rudo – for the entertaining evil-doers
5) Best Female – women only. Sorry, no exoticos.
6) Best Unit – tags, trios, atomicos, other groups – must’ve been a team in 2008
7) Best Promotion/Territory – CMLL, AAA, Perros del Mal, IWRG, DTU, – specific enough so we can identify a group
8) Best Rivalry – most interesting/exciting/entertaining feud. Can be person vs person, or people vs people.
9) Most Improved – wrestler who stepped up their game the highest from 2008
10) Most Underutilized – wrestler who’s deserving of more attention from both the promotion and the fans
I (thecubsfan) am the sole dictator of the awards, and my decisions will be final.
Please cut and paste the ballot to email@example.com. Do not post your ballot in this thread.
AAA (SUN) 02/01 Arena Coliseo Monterrey [RFC]
1) Mr. Secuestro b Rey Imagen
2) Poly Star & Relampago Azul b Aguila Extrema & Dama de Hierro
3) La Momia & Virtual X b Ejecutor & Monje Negro Jr.
4) Killer Clown, Psycho Clown, Zombie Clown b Billy Boy, Gato Eveready, TDN
5) La Parka Jr. & Laredo Kid DQ Chessman & Zorro
Zorro fouled Parka. I believe Zorro counts that as a win.
Ovaciones previews tonight’s card, focusing on the big title match between Poder Mexica and Volador, Sombra, Sagrado. I really think we’ve got new champions coming here, as they’ve been pushing Sangre/Warrior/Dragon hard in Arena Mexico while Volador and Sombra have better things to do (and Sagrado could find new partners to challenge with, I guess.) But I’m not good at guessing lately.
SoloLuchas thinks Blue Panther vs Villano III or V will be the main event of Dos Leyends. SoloLuchas does not have a great batting average lately, but that’s as good as any.
WagnerMania points out something I keep forgetting – CMLL and Perros are running against each other on Friday. That’s probably a big factor in the CMLL show happening on Friday; the strategy seems to be loaded up direct competition. WagnerMania also has a column looking back at Alebrije vs Monterrey’s The Panther.
Okumura is also on the 02/15 NJPW show, in a dark match.
DTU is organizing bus trips to it’s 02/21 show. That sounds like a smart idea, if they can get enough people to go.
Medina (THU) 02/19 Gimnasio Marcelino Gonzalez [El Sol de Zacatecas]
1) Dr. Wagner Jr., Sangre Chicana Jr., Super Crazy vs Deathrow, LA Park, Zumbido
This show – taped for TV – is going to have a two story ring. A ring on top of a ring, which they’re claiming is to be the first time ever done. I have a faint recollection of someone doing this before – WCW and others have done tiered cage matches – and it doesn’t sound like a great idea. You’re putting a roof on the bottom ring, which wouldn’t seem to help, you’re only making the second ring higher/harder to fall from, and most action in the upper ring would be harder to see for the people who are sitting up close. But maybe it’ll work better than it sounds.