El Hijo del Santo did an autograph signing at his cafe/souvenir shop, and there was a big turnout.
Kid Azteca was the winner of the fifth annual Gomez Palacio Luchador 5K race. Kid Azteca was the fastest and took the 80 kg and under division, with Nieto del Hungaro & Cabllero Halcon Jr in 2nd and 3rd. Super Leopardo took the 80-100 kg division, ahead of his brother Super Star. In the over 100 kg class, Psycho I and Psycho II finished that order. La Sombra won the first three years of this race, but is a bit busy now. Also yesterday, Blue Panther recieved his plaque for being a Distguised Citzen from this same city.
Going back to Sombra for a second – I noted a while back Sombra’s mask reminded me of Oro’s. They have similar styles, and they both won an NWA title at a very young age. El Universal talks to Sombra about the comparisons, and reveals the reason for his name. When Brillante came to Mexico City to train, noting his gear and style was similar, like Brillante was Oro’s spirit or Oro’s shadow. Brillante liked the idea of being called “Sombra”, so it stuck.
And now the Box Y Lucha massive link dump! I really like the new design, though I wish they still had all the old covers up. And I need to mess with Yahoo Pipes to get a master RSS feed at some point.
– Mistico blames his tag team title loss on Hector Garza’s knee; Mistico says Garza came from knee surgery and wasn’t 100% percent. (Which would also explain where Garza’s been lately, though you’d think he’d have the knee surgery after the last big match rather than right before it.) Don’t look for a rematch, as Mistico says he doesn’t trust Garza because he’s still an ex-Perro. Mistico notes he successfully defended his CMLL World Welterweight Title over Negro Casas next week which proves that, in lucha libre, sometimes you win and sometimes you lose. Mistico also says whomever said he was complaining about working too much was lying, he’s fine with CMLL’s schedule for him. (Who DID say that? I can not recall.)
– Terrible has no recollection of any foul that won him the Leyenda de Azul. “To the all the fans who booed me because they believe there was a foul, I only tell you that you need to learn to lose!” Fair enough!
– This interview with Dragon Rojo Jr. from after he won the #1 contenders Cibernetico two Tuesdays ago is a little outdated in newsworthyness, but it gives you a really good look at Rojo’s altered mask design. It works it a Diamante Negro logo in the forehead and the side flames are now smaller and angled more towards the back.
– In an interview from Guerra de Titanes, Charly Manson said he planned to debut on the first TV taping of January, but Chessman jumping him has made that impossible. There are other AAA interviews from this period with not enough new info worth linking to, but a common theme is everyone being asked about Cibernetico, and everyone being positive about him. It’s very professional.
– Contrast: From back on the Perros del Mal debut press conference, Cibernetico calls Konnan and Vampiro cancers, and I can’t recall if I’ve seen that quote before. From Cibernetico, I mean, I’m pretty sure it’s been in the comments. Cibernetico also says, since there’s now 20-30 foreign wrestlers around, someone should start a company of foreign wrestlers, and hopefully have them leave AAA.
– Laredo Kid explains his second leg injury was really his first leg injury. A doctor screwed up, fissures were not sealed right, and it fell back apart in the cage match. Laredo Kid has learned bad doctors are bad, you’ve got to have a backup career because thing can fall apart at any time. He’s planning to go back to school next year. Not a bad idea.
– Sahori talks about her name, her career in AAA. She’s been trained by Gran Apache, Abismo Negro and Ultimo Guerrero. Henrik can finish this paragraph.
– Lady Rabbit says she’s the only women wrestler employed by IWRG. Going to be tough for her to have matches. When Martha and Rossy said they were bringing their group of women to IWRG, Lady Rabbit joined IWRG on her own and now Martha and Rossy’s group is MIA so Lady Rabbit has no opponents. But she’s still trying and waiting for opponents. It appears her husband is an IWRG wrestler, but they don’t directly say it, and that would explain why she’s hanging around to wait. Lady Rabbit says she was Lady Discovery – I thought that was someone else? Anyway, the point is, I can now sleep at night knowing what happened to Lady Rabbit.
Box Y Lucha #2902, the actual magazine, has Cibernetico and Wagner on the cover. Some of the teased stories include Sangre Azteca thinking about teaming with Dragon Rojo and Pegasso and Rey Cometa noting how much tougher the fans and opponents are in CMLL.
RFC says a Monterrey promoter is planning on bringing TNA to Arena Monterrey in April 2009. (This is what they call ‘burying the lede’.) I think we’ve been here before (but at least they have some TV now.) RFC also posted his 2008 awards, with Caifan 69 as the wrestler of the year. Mesias as the best foreginer of the year surprises me a little.
AAA (TUE) 12/23 Auditorio Municipal de San Juan, Los Lagos
1) Fabi Apache, Gato Eveready, Mari Apache vs El Padrino, La Diabólica, Sexy Star
2) Crazy Boy & Ultimo Gladiador vs Hijo de Pirata Morgan & Pirata Morgan
3) Alan Stone & Gronda II vs Chessman & Zorro
El Padrino is working with Gato Eveready? Seems odd.
AAA (THU) 12/25 Arena San Juan Pantitlan [luchalibreaaa]
1) Aerostar, Dizzy, Fabi Apache, Mascarita Divina vs ?, Hijo de Pirata Morgan, Mari Apache, Mini Charly Manson
2) Charly Manson, Crazy Boy, Super Porky vs ?, El Brazo, Electro Shock
Charly can’t possibly be wrestling here.
indy (THU) 12/25 Unidad Deportiva Luis Donaldo Colosio
1) Caballero X vs Payaso Loco
2) Dancy Boy & Kenji vs Aero Mouse & Kintaro
3) Halconcito Galactico & Lunathor vs Kid Star & Zafarrancho
4) Camaleon de Oro, Protector, Shrek vs Felino, Puma King, Tiger Kid
5) Angeluz, Fray Tormenta, Sagrado vs Infierno, Rostro Infernal, Satánico
I guess we know one of Fray Tormenta’s disciples is still on good terms with him! That’s a very literal good vs evil main event; we just needed some dogs to face all those semimain cats. Don’t like the devil’s chances on Christmas Day.
indy (THU) 12/25 Arena Olimpico Laguna de Gomez Palacio [El Siglo de Torreon]
1) Pentagoncito vs Mini Maximo
2) Guerrero Inca vs Semental
3) Angel de Oro, Hooligan, Scriba Jr. vs Euforia, Misterioso II, Mr. Guerrero
4) Blue Panther, Stuka Jr., Ultimo Guerrero vs Atlantis, Dragon Rojo Jr., Ephesto
So, UG is working as a hometown tecnico, but Dragon Rojo and Ephesto are not? Don’t try and make sense of it, kdb!
AAA (THU) 12/25 Auditorio de Tijuana [aereo_suicida @ SML]
1) Human Tornado vs Puma
2) Black Abyss, Histeria, Psicosis II vs Arandu, Extreme Tiger, TJ Boy
3) Joe Lider & Nicho el Millionario vs Jack Evans & Teddy Hart [AAA TAG]
4) Alex Koslov, Rocky Romero, X-Pac vs Chuck Palumbo, Konnan, Rellik
This is in fact a real card, not some apparition from a nightmare. My guess is this is a tryout for Palumbo and not a sign he’s coming in full time, but time will tell. I would presume Puma is the TJ Perkins (there’s plenty of lucha guys running around with that name too, but not all of the face other PWG guys.) Psicosis II is usually the promoter for these shows, but obviously I didn’t realize his connections to SoCal talent.
Deep thought of the day: are Jack & Teddy actually Mexican? are Nicho & Lider actually foreigners? I need to expand on this, but I needed to eat lunch and I didn’t do that either.
If that looks like a lot of Christmas shows, that’s the tip. I’m counting 10 listed shows so far, including five with AAA main events.
CMLL (SUN) 12/28 Arena Coliseo Guadalajara
1) Poseidon vs Milenio
2) Palacio Negro & Plata vs Thunder Boy & Virgo
3) Idolo & Nube Roja vs Depreadador (GDL) & Exterminador (GDL)
4) Infierno, Malefico, Máscara Mágica vs Mr. Trueno, Rey Trueno, Satánico
5) Hijo del Fantasma, La Máscara, Shocker vs Atlantis, Negro Casas, Último Guerrero
Hmm, trios champs vs the last